Page 4 of 10 FirstFirst ... 23456 ... LastLast

Thread: Help needed to decide is it safe to buy this?

Tecnologia Reparto Corse RS_Patrick's Avatar
    Moltul Fork oil expert, i would get 15W if i where you.

apriliaforum prov-nov
    Once again, thank you so much! I will go with 15W Motul Expert for fork oil.

I'm having difficulties with the correct chain. Unbelievable how unreliable are shop owners here in Hungary. When you ask "why?" they just can not tell you why, just saying common stuff... I rely on your help to decide, as I really do not know.

The recommended chain for my RS id D.I.D. 420 (134 links is the longest, although I hope it is easy to remove links) It is the simplest chain, standard non-O ring, the 420D. is this chain good enough for my RS and a reliable good choice?

Now comes the tricky part: in one store they have advised me to go with the 420NZ3 which is a racing chain for motocross. They say it is completely compatible with my RS and it is much stronger and durable then the 420D. Of course, it cost double.

The questions is: is it really worth double money and I will have some advantages with the motocross chain or I am completely safe with the original 420D chain?

Thanks!

Depents on your setup, if i fitted a regular 420D chain on my RS50 it lasted a week

I had Mayse Sprockets and Regina Gold chain on mine wich was pretty good.

You can also get 428 Sprockets and Chain for a RS50 (whider sprockets and chain) wich can take much more power, but there hard to find, i got a parts catalog somewhere with part numbers for them i think so i see if i can find it and if and where they are available online.

apriliaforum prov-nov
    Now I'm facing two things I have to decide
    One is the chain: my bike is stock, I do not intend to change anything this year. I have a shop with very good DID and JT prices in local, basically they offer two 420 chains.
    1) DID420 regular - @Patrick: you said it will brake in one week? Should I avoid it? It is sure that it is not enough for RS50? Where I live I have to drive quite a lot up and downhill, if it matters anything. The price is quite good and I'm sort on money now, I'm also buying a pair of Michelin Sportys. But I don't want to buy this if you say it is not safe.
    2) DID420NZ3 gold - it is a race cross chain, more then double the price of 420, but probably much stronger and durable? And it has gold color which is ugly for me, but I guess the gold color wont bother me. Should I get this one, is it worth the extra cash?

Both chains are standard, non-o chains.

For the sprockets I will go with stock 12/47 JT. Do you recommend a smaller or bigger front sprocket perhaps?

I immediately found myself facing a problem with the cooling liquid. I have at the local store Motul Motocool Expert, that I think should be fine, but is is rated only -25C. The price is OK.
    Or I can get Motul Motocool Factory Line, that is rated -35C, but quite a high price on that. This February we had temperatures around -25C, but this was quite extreme.
    Can I use cooling fluid for cars, for example Castrol's Antifreeze NF ?

Many thanks!

Even though the Gold chain is more expensive to buy, its actualy cheaper if you fit a big bore kit as it will last between 3 and 5 times longer than the other one.

Get Motocool Factory Line, better safe than sorry, Cooling fluid for cars can only be used if it specificly says its suitable for aluminium engines.

apriliaforum prov-nov
    OK, then I will take the DID420NZ3 cross chain with the JT sprockets. BTW, if the chain is treated well (cleaned and oiled regularly) and I don't drive the bike crazy, what is the aprox lifetime of a chain and sprocket?

Regarding the cooling fluid: I'll try to get the Motul Factory Line, but the Castrol Antifreeze NF I have linked should be also fine as per the Castrol specifications:

"Castrol Antifreeze NF is a fully formulated, corrosion inhibited, ethylene
    glycol coolant concentrate. It is a superior, heavy duty diesel and
    passenger car engine coolant, formulated to provide excellent corrosion
    protection for modern engine alloys found in radiators, water pumps and
    cylinder blocks and heads. Castrol Antifreeze NF is a nitrite, phosphate
    and amine free, fully formulated glycol coolant and has been designed to
    meet the requirements of the major European engine manufacturers.
    Castrol Antifreeze NF provides an effective heat transfer medium,
    withstanding the high temperatures found in modern cooling systems,
    while also providing antifreeze protection to temperatures of -38oC at 50%
    v/v... Castrol Antifreeze NF is suitable for engines of both
    ferrous and aluminium alloy construction and can be used in the cooling
    systems of cars, light or heavy commercial vehicles, tractors and offroad
    applications where a high quality Nitrite free coolant is called for."

I looked at the spec sheat on the Castrol, i would highly recomend the Motul over it as the Motul is ready to use, and the Castrol needs to be mixed with distilled water (Tapwater will ruin the waterpump on the AM-6 after a short while)

apriliaforum prov-nov
    OK, it will be Motul Factory Line Coolant. Sorry for asking so many questions, but I'm very much eager to learn and understand which basically involves asking many questions
    Thanks to you guys, I have a so much better picture now, and will be able to give my bike the best You know, I have many friends around who call themselves experts and have all kind of ideas, but when I ask 'why'? they can not give me not even a simple answer. Does people just have an idea or a view but they do not understand it.
    I hope the questions is this thread will be very useful for other RS50 owners. We have covered here many important topics here.

Quote Originally Posted by szimat View Post
    Sorry for asking so many questions, .
    alll part of the forum, ask whatever you want as long as its related to the RS50
    Engine Always Screaming!

Its Not What You Ride Its How You Ride It

apriliaforum prov-nov
    HI! Finally I was able to get my bike to my mate who is quite good at engines (he does this for living, and in free time, motocross racing, building bikes for 20 zears now), he will check the bike and do the necessary maintenance/fixes.
    We have already discussed that all the oils will be changed. He immediately said using Shell Advance 4T Ultra 10W40 for the gearbox is a good choice, I was so glad to hear that, it means he also understands and no need to say why not factory recomm gearbox oil.
    Anyway, these are his observations at first sight, without getting the bike dissembled too much:

- both tires needs to be replaced quickly, I'm ordering a set of Michelin Pilot Sporties soon (any place cheaper then easyparts with Hungary shipping?)
    - the chain (and both sprockets) needs to be replaced. He recommended these: JT ASAHI 420H or EK420SR (both stronger versions), or perhaps Regina Gold 420 (link). Patrick: you said these Regina chains are good, this is a basic chain from Regina, I hope it is a good choice).
    As for the sprockets, it will be JT, but he said I should try to put a 13 sprocket at the front. Should I try this or I will lose too much on acceleration and overall performance? Or it is worth to try?
    - based on the sound of the engine, he said it is in excellent condition, the sound is beautiful and he thinks there is no need to do anything with the engine, at least not this year. This is good news
    - I still don't know which carb it has (it should be stock) but he said maybe it is worth to try to change to a bigger main jet? Do you think it is a good idea? If yes, which size would fit the best?
    - we will change the brake pads too
    - change the spark
    - clean/change the air filter. Do you recommend to get a new one or it is enough to clean it and put some oil on it? Which type should I buy, in which size and which filter oil is the based?

It was so good to ride the bike finally, I have enjoyed every second of it
    Once again, thank you for your help!

carb/bigger jet > you would benefit by fitting a new carb (dellorto phbn) same diametre as stock carb (the dellorto sha) but its more reliable, easier to set up and has a big increase in power

tyres > i only know of easy parts that would ship to you and michelin sportys are very good tyres, recomended on here alot

sprockets > iv got 13 - 47 i think and i have pretty good acceleration and it will sit at 55mph easily, renthal do a quality set

spark plug > if its pretty much a stock then get "NGK R - B(R)9ES"

airfilter > you can buy revive oils which clean the air filter (in the past i have cleaned them with carb cleaner and dryed them on radiator till warm and fluffy which did a good job but new one would be better

^^some of what i have said may have already been said^^...
    Engine Always Screaming!

The Regina chain you linked to is not the right one, Regina Profesional RS is the one you want.

13 tooth front sprocket is fine for derestricted with an aftermarket exhaust.

Mainjet should not be changed, maybe you misunderstoot your friend, or he doesnt really understand how these engines work.
    You only change the Mainjet to compensate for a higher airflow trough the engine, like wen you fit a difrent exhaust etc. the size of the mainjet needs to be exactly right for the setup you have.

Sparkplug for a derestricted bike is NGK B(R)9ES, if you fit a difrent cilinder kit you might need to change it though tough a higher one.

If the filter is in good condition clean it and re-oil it and it should be as new again.
    Just any filter oil is good, you can even use transmision oil but you need to really sqeeeze the oil out of there, so its just the foam that sticky, not that the think is full with oil like a sponge.

apriliaforum prov-nov
    Thanks for your reply!

chrism15 carb/bigger jet > you would benefit by fitting a new carb (dellorto phbn) same diametre as stock carb (the dellorto sha) but its more reliable, easier to set up and has a big increase in power
    I don't know yet for 100% which carb the bike has, I guess it is phbn. Sorry for not getting this right, is phbn the better or it is sha that would be better? Where can I find the model name of the carb?
    I must have misunderstood something, I wont change Mainjet, I will just ask him to adjust the carb properly.

tyres > i only know of easy parts that would ship to you and michelin sportys are very good tyres, recomended on here alot
    Since there is not too much price different between Pirelli and Michelin, I will go with Sporties. Are they very bad at wet road conditions or just not as good as on dry?

sprockets > iv got 13 - 47 i think and i have pretty good acceleration and it will sit at 55mph easily, renthal do a quality set
    13 tooth front sprocket is fine for derestricted with an aftermarket exhaust.
    I might try 13 - 47 and I will see how does it works. If I feel the bike too weak, I change back to 12. I have stock exhaust, I guess it is derestricted. How to check this? Or 13 -47 is not a good choice for stock exhaust?

the name/model of the carb will be on one side of the carb

phbn is much better, sha is stock on the older models

and iv heard you cant go wrong with sportys wet or dry

and i think its a metal like washer sortov thing blocking the exhaust partialy - i dont have stock exhaust so im not 100% sure but you will be able to feel if its restrcited by how iyt performs ect
    Engine Always Screaming!

apriliaforum prov-nov
    Quote Originally Posted by chrism15 View Post
    the name/model of the carb will be on one side of the carb

phbn is much better, sha is stock on the older models

and iv heard you cant go wrong with sportys wet or dry

and i think its a metal like washer sortov thing blocking the exhaust partialy - i dont have stock exhaust so im not 100% sure but you will be able to feel if its restrcited by how iyt performs ect
    I will check the carb this week (at the moment, I have no access to it Since it is from 2004, I really believe it will have PHBN 12 on it. I guess size 12 is good, no need to change that?

I think the bike is already derestricted, since it goes quite good, but since it is my first RS50 I drive, I can not be sure on that I tried just once and it hit the speed of around 60-70km/h with no problems, but then I went back to 40km/h because the Pirelli tyres on it are completely waisted and the chain as well, therefore I do not want to risk until I have the new tyres, brake pads, chain-set mounted.

Thanks for your help!

Page 4 of 10 FirstFirst ... 23456 ... LastLast