Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Piaggio BV 250 evaporative system

apriliaforum newb

Question Piaggio BV 250 evaporative system

On another scooter forum, there is widespread opinion that the evaporative systems on the Piaggio and Vespa scooters can be very dangerous. Some have said that in the midst of riding at highway speeds, they can lose power and the engine cuts off. Something about the evaporative system not working well, and never having worked well before. So there are strong opinions that the evaporative system should be removed from the scooter before it causes problems like stalling on the highway.

My question is that for people on this forum, have your experiences with the evaporative system on your Piaggio scooter been that bad? I have a BV 250 brand new with only several hundred miles on it and haven't yet experienced anything negative with the evap system but don't know if I will when I go on a long trip during the summer.

apriliaforum Member
    No problems with my MP3 250 whatever.

There are lots of posts on this site with a variety of problems usually caused by failures and not necessarily design. If all components are intact you'll be fine. Don't overfill when you gas up. Perform regular maintenance according to the schedule or sooner and enjoy riding! If you remove it, you will likely have to replace it when/if you sell. Don't throw anything away!

Sp56

apriliaforum newb
    Thanks for the replies! I'm a newbie to powered two wheels so excuse me if I ask "ignorant" questions

What would be considered "overfilling"? The way I typically fill the fuel tank for my BV 250 is in the following manner: I insert the fuel nozzle halfway into the tank, not all the way. Then holding the nozzle at that midway position, I slow engage the switch to get the fuel going. When it automatically clicks off, I pull out the nozzle and "call it a day". My concern would be whether the "midway nozzle" thing would be overfilling the tank or not.

apriliaforum expert
    no its not put it one inch below neck fine Nc traveling on a 250 ??? Centeral, Coastal or mountains, Where do you reside ?? Im in RTP area

apriliaforum expert
    Over 7,000 miles many at 80 mph for 4 hours at a shot on the interstate and never lost power.

Overfill is when you fill up the neck of the tank past the vent orifice that goes to the evap system so that fuel now overflows and fills the canister. Did that once with a difficult to regulate pump and had some stalling in town for a few miles until the system cleared itself.

apriliaforum newb
    Quote Originally Posted by tomd View Post
    no its not put it one inch below neck fine Nc traveling on a 250 ??? Centeral, Coastal or mountains, Where do you reside ?? Im in RTP area
    I live in Durham If the BV 350 had come out when I was ready to buy the scooter (Dec 2011) I would have. But, my dealer gave me a GREAT deal on the BV 250. Out-the-door price of $5,000 tags, registration everything included. I couldn't resist.

Rockynv, thanks also for the clarification on overfill. I did overfill ONCE by accident, and not at the gas station! As a newbie, I had my dealer ride my scooter back home for me. Was only 1 mile from the dealership. When he dropped off the scooter, there wasn't much gas in the tank so I filled up a gas container and manually filled up the BV's tank. Oops...overfilled accidentally and had to use paper towels to soak up the gas FROM top of the tank! LOL

apriliaforum expert
    Dealer Who Triangle 15 501 Im on Sparger West end O durham Two Scarabeos and other stuff dont see many Bevs intown one over in 9th st area Should be an overfill gasket/cup lookin affiar at fill neck Ive the Green No tagged 150 with matching Box Im sure youve seen all over town if youre out there my self or Blondie on it And Apparently Ive one of those Rare White S 500 bikes their huge and look all of their 516 pounds there was one at bike shop on broad at the wellspring or whatever it is now and one on 751 at duke

apriliaforum expert
    Quote Originally Posted by Rockynv View Post
    Over 7,000 miles many at 80 mph for 4 hours at a shot on the interstate and never lost power.

Overfill is when you fill up the neck of the tank past the vent orifice that goes to the evap system so that fuel now overflows and fills the canister. Did that once with a difficult to regulate pump and had some stalling in town for a few miles until the system cleared itself.
    Thats great Even though people have traveled 3000 miles on a beo 150 in europe from somewhere to sweden i think they rode loaded dwn badly ive seen pics of the two bikes crap strapped on em everywhere cant see seat etc GOD was riding right along with these Folks I would never attempt such nonsense I know better My bike would self destuct in these conditions simply because its mine the 150 is sweet between 58-65 mph push those limits and maint costs will go up prolly skyrocket But allows mo parts for me so Ok

apriliaforum expert
    Thats great Even though people have traveled 3000 miles on a beo 150 in europe from somewhere to sweden i think they rode loaded dwn badly ive seen pics of the two bikes crap strapped on em everywhere cant see seat etc GOD was riding right along with these Folks I would never attempt such nonsense I know better My bike would self destuct in these conditions simply because its mine the 150 is sweet between 58-65 mph push those limits and maint costs will go up prolly skyrocket But allows mo parts for me so Ok
    I ride a water cooled Sport City 250 not a 125 or 150. On my air cooled 150 I would limit myself to 55/60mph with only brief pushes to 65.

apriliaforum newb
    Dealer Who Triangle 15 501 Im on Sparger West end O durham Two Scarabeos and other stuff dont see many Bevs intown one over in 9th st area Should be an overfill gasket/cup lookin affiar at fill neck Ive the Green No tagged 150 with matching Box Im sure youve seen all over town if youre out there my self or Blondie on it And Apparently Ive one of those Rare White S 500 bikes their huge and look all of their 516 pounds there was one at bike shop on broad at the wellspring or whatever it is now and one on 751 at duke
    Yeah, got my scooter from Triangle Cycles. I'm new to town (moved from the West coast) so haven't done much Durham exploring. Only got the scooter in December and only started riding around late January because I was out of the country soon after I bought the scooter. I don't see a lot of Piaggio Beverly here but I have spotted some Genuine Buddy, Honda Ruckus, and some other 50cc scooters.

apriliaforum expert
    Got spoiled here in Tampa, FL we have a pretty large Aprilia dealer who reduced the leftover factory new 2009 Sport City 250's to $2,999 and the 2009 Scarabeo 500's to $3,999. I almost traded up to the Scarabeo 500 when I saw that deal.

Do you every make it to Myrtle Beach? The Sand Dunes used to have a pretty good breakfast buffet that we enjoyed every time we were in town.

Quote Originally Posted by teabow1 View Post
    Thanks for the replies! I'm a newbie to powered two wheels so excuse me if I ask "ignorant" questions

What would be considered "overfilling"? The way I typically fill the fuel tank for my BV 250 is in the following manner: I insert the fuel nozzle halfway into the tank, not all the way. Then holding the nozzle at that midway position, I slow engage the switch to get the fuel going. When it automatically clicks off, I pull out the nozzle and "call it a day". My concern would be whether the "midway nozzle" thing would be overfilling the tank or not.
    Glad someone else clarified "overfilling". I just got back on the site since my post.
    There are no "ignorant" questions, just questions. Bring your concerns forward and you'll always find potential options.

Regards,
    Sp56

apriliaforum expert
    im in myrtle all tyme family there daughter n husband etc they wk in tourist industry fishin boats etc I like it over there when tourists gone

apriliaforum newb
    Quote Originally Posted by Rockynv View Post
    Got spoiled here in Tampa, FL we have a pretty large Aprilia dealer who reduced the leftover factory new 2009 Sport City 250's to $2,999 and the 2009 Scarabeo 500's to $3,999. I almost traded up to the Scarabeo 500 when I saw that deal.

Do you every make it to Myrtle Beach? The Sand Dunes used to have a pretty good breakfast buffet that we enjoyed every time we were in town.
    Wow! Lucky, lucky you! That's a GREAT deal on the Sportcity 250s and 500s! My dealer gave me what I considered a great deal: $4,999 out-the-door price for a 2010 BV 250. Now, this wasn't my top choice scooter. My top choice would have been the BV 350 (but alas they aren't coming out until much later this year). My second choice would have been the BV 300 which however my dealer wasn't offering me a deal on since it was not in their stock. But, the BV 250 is good enough. I need something that can do freeway speeds comfortably since I'm looking at this as a car replacement.

Myrtle Beach? I haven't been although some friends from California travel there every summer. I haven't gone too far on my scooter just yet for a few reasons: 1. newbie, so need to build up experience in the local area, 2. haven't yet broken the 600 mile so haven't gotten the first service yet, which means, according to the manual, don't go more than 80% of the max speed. I'm close to getting 600 miles though and can't wait for when I can really ride this at higher speeds.

I am planning on a trip to northern Virginia to visit in-laws. About a 4 to 5 hour trip from here. This will be in June.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast