Page 4 of 35 FirstFirst ... 2345614 ... LastLast

Thread: Performance mods for the Tuono V4

apriliaforum Junkie
    Thanks for the offer Wayne but I have second standard pipe that I have modified to use where I can.

Hey Guv, what did you do to your pipe? Im about to cut the intake section off my pipe to remove the cat, then weld a new one in place.

Is that what you have done?

If so, how's it go?
    ScottyDog

Official Aprilia Linkage Tester !

In The Garage

1. Tuono V4 1100 RF, 15/42, Austin Racing GP1RR 70mm pipe, Race ECU, heated grips, CRG Bar End mirrors, Hepco-Becker sports Rack with Givi box when touring, Baher Intercom, Nitrous kit, super charger, shitty Chinese folding levers & a flashy sticker that makes me faster...

2. Merc C63 Coupe 507 AMG (Currently in repair)

3. Toyota Prado VX SUV

apriliaforum Junkie
    Project not quite finished yet but replacing the mid pipe to eliminate the CAT is one part, I have also cut the muffler open around the front weld and split it in to two, the existing internal perforated pipe is welded to the inlet of the muffler and tapers to a lesser diameter at the back end of the muffler so I am replacing that with one that maintains the same 2 1/4" ish diameter right through, the stainless steel tip on the muffler is there just for show so once that is removed it reveals an end cap that is welded in place on the main body of the muffler, I have cut that end cap out so now the perforated pipe can be welded to the stainless end tip instead of the front of the muffler, both pieces of the muffler will be welded back together on the same front weld that I cut, new muffler blanket will then be rapped around the new perforated pipe and inserted from the back end of the muffler, secure the stainless end cap with pop rivets and stick it back on the bike. I could have bought an after market pipe but around here the plod love writing tickets for anything that looks non-standard & I had a damaged stock pipe as a donor.

GUV.

Im a bit confused about the race eu ... Talking with an Aprilia dealer about it he said ..

we have tried race ecu on 3 bikes "rsv4" and dynoed them all and there was no diffrece at all that they could se so they send them back to aprilia ..

He said just a waste of money ...

He used pv5 with hes own Rsv4 and did get 163 rwhp .

He said also that it was big diffrence between diffrent bikes 6-7hp could differ probobly depending on how it is braked-in .

So , its wierd to hear some here rawe about race ecu ..

I want to se some before and after Race ecu dynos for proof !!

If Race ecu is so good some here states .. S h o w us some grafe to P R O F !! IT

If no dynos will show i think i will take my Aprilia dealer for his word ... that its just no diffrence to the eye .

Hey Guv... please tell me that you "are a legend" because you took some photos to show the internals

So if I understand this correctly, the existing muffler has a 'tapered' internal perforated core. And it is wider at the intake end and tapers down to a smaller exit hole?

Why the hell would they do that??? And what was the difference in diameter?

Surely that would effect the performance as the gases expanded... Maybe it made it quieter...

I knew the Victorian police were wankers with respect to stock pipes and noise, but didnt realise they were like that in Queensland too. I think generally speaking the aussie cops seem to be wankers. Some in NZ are but my experience here has been that our Traffic cops are not very reasonable and can book you for being 3kph over the limit on a down hill. But the actual Police here are pretty decent and more pragmatic about speeding and noise etc.

4 of us were nailed at 'over' 180kph in the south island by some police who tried to catch us in a car and they got to 180 and then backed off and said we were still pulling away. We didnt even know they were there.

They set up a 1 ar blockage a few towns later and stopped us. But when we said we were going to the ferry and were late they let us go. Seriously! Couldnt believe it. I dont think they wanted the hassles.
    Last edited by scott2ride; 03-24-2012 at 05:26 PM.
    ScottyDog

In The Garage

1. Tuono V4 1100 RF, 15/42, Austin Racing GP1RR 70mm pipe, Race ECU, heated grips, CRG Bar End mirrors, Hepco-Becker sports Rack with Givi box when touring, Baher Intercom, Nitrous kit, super charger, shitty Chinese folding levers & a flashy sticker that makes me faster...

3. Toyota Prado VX SUV

Regarding the forks, does anyone have any experience with the full Ohlins forks vs. the 30mm cartridge internals that fit the Sachs fork? (http://www.af1racing.com/store/Scrip...dproduct=38578). I can't afford to go crazy with aftermarket mods due to cost, and also I am worried about upsetting the overall balance and handling of the bike, which everyone raves about (and that's on full stock Sachs suspension). Aftermarket bits are nice but it's easy to actually make the bike worse if you throw things at it without considering the whole package.

So, if the Ohlins 30mm internals in the Sachs fork will offer similar performance as the Ohlins forks but for considerably less money, that would be a good way to go.

That also begs the question that if I do the front do I also need to get the rear upgraded with a TTX or similar shock? My racebike tuner says the TTX is definitely track geared and it's hard to get it to work well in a broad range for street duty.

Quote Originally Posted by GUV View Post
    Did mine today with a stock pipe, after a short run it feels great, much better behaved under 4K in city riding and very tricky how the exhaust valve opens when you pop it into gear and closes when you stop, even when you walk it forward or backwards in N it opens, it has made a noticeable difference to the db through the lower rev range.

Thanks Wayne for announcing it & thanks to the very helpful guy's at SS.

GUV.
    Sorry if this is obvious to everyone else, but can you specify exactly what "this update" is? I do most of my riding in San Francisco and the V4 will be replacing my V2 Factory so I need it to be smooth and easy to use in low RPM situations. Are you guys doing the Akra slip on with race map and BMC filter, some different combination of those, or something completely different?

apriliaforum Junkie
    Quote Originally Posted by scott2ride View Post
    Hey Guv... please tell me that you "are a legend" because you took some photos to show the internals

So if I understand this correctly, the existing muffler has a 'tapered' internal perforated core. And it is wider at the intake end and tapers down to a smaller exit hole?

Why the hell would they do that??? And what was the difference in diameter?

Surely that would effect the performance as the gases expanded... Maybe it made it quieter...

I knew the Victorian police were wankers with respect to stock pipes and noise, but didnt realise they were like that in Queensland too. I think generally speaking the aussie cops seem to be wankers. Some in NZ are but my experience here has been that our Traffic cops are not very reasonable and can book you for being 3kph over the limit on a down hill. But the actual Police here are pretty decent and more pragmatic about speeding and noise etc.
    Haa, Sorry no photo's, I didn't think that it warranted the photo's as most opt for the after market slipons.
    The perforated core decreases from 2 1/4 to about 1 3/4inches & you're probably right about it being that way to reduce noise.
    I know what your saying about the NZ Police, it seems the farther south you go the more lenient they get, I come over a few times each year to ride a bike that I keep at my sisters place, the regular December ride with some Wellington boys to the South Is is always like the Cannonball Run, very different to riding in Aus.

Quote Originally Posted by falkdal View Post
    Sorry if this is obvious to everyone else, but can you specify exactly what "this update" is? I do most of my riding in San Francisco and the V4 will be replacing my V2 Factory so I need it to be smooth and easy to use in low RPM situations. Are you guys doing the Akra slip on with race map and BMC filter, some different combination of those, or something completely different?
    It's not an update, it is the Race Map, I couldn't at this stage say that it's any quicker but the fuelling under 4K is much happier, I'm no mechanic (obviously) but it does make a great bike even better.

As for cost, the dealer charged 1 hours labour for taking the bikes details, requesting the code from Aprilia & then uploading the new map. Why wouldn't you do it, unless you're saving up for some rim tape.

GUV
    Last edited by GUV; 03-25-2012 at 02:27 AM.

Damn! I knew I shouldn't have ordered that rim tape.

Hey Guv.
    We do a similar run every year at the same time, leaving from Ak.

Exdukenut (Leigh) is another aussie & is based in sydney. He stores a Tuono at my place in Ak & comes over to do the tour every year.

Shame about the photos
    ScottyDog

In The Garage

3. Toyota Prado VX SUV

apriliaforum expert
    I really don't understand how the dealer could get the unlock code w/o the buying the akra by Aprilia exhaust ... Here is not possible !

Honest always, feared often Micah / AF1 Racing's Avatar
    The race mapping on the Tuono or the RSV4 is a "must have" IMHO. Riding bikes back to back before and after re-flashing there is simply no comparison. Whether you use the Akro mapping or our mapping which is heavily based on the Akro/Aprilia mapping (good maps look very similar and Akro can make a very good map, I still use their old SBK EPROM in my 03' RSV) you will notice a night and day difference. Even just the upgraded/revised stock mappings have been better and better with each generation. Dynos do little to tell the story of the experience of riding and are especially hard to demonstrate on RBW bike. Think of it this way, Dynos are typically used to measure full load power but this is only how we ride 1/10 of 1% of the time on machines this powerful. When I tune a motor I spend only about 5% of my total dyno time on WFO fueling. I spend he rest in the rpms and loads we actually use on the street or track.

I do know of one way only to show the mapping difference on the dyno. I need to tap the TPS on the torque controller to show a before and after graph at say 5% requested TP, 10-20-40-50-60-80 & 100% requested TP. I say requested TP only because that is the most rational way to measure and quantify the changes in both mixture and power for a given position of your hand on the throttle tube. Wide open power does not change much UNLESS you go with a full system AND some version of race mapping. I personally prefer the ease of just buying the Aprilia/Akro race full system and using the unlock code. I understand this is not financially an option for everyone. Nothing makes more midrange and top end than the Akro race systems, no matter how you decide to "unleash" your ecu.

Simple fact, and do notice I say FACT here. The race mapping flat fucking works better street or track. I am going to play with modified closed loop control next on my demo without race mapping initially. There are multiple ways to change the closed loop feedback from adding resistance to the return signal connection from the lambda to richen it up a bit, changing the amount of air the exhaust dilution system (PAIR for lack of a non Suzuki word) allows into the pipe, changing o2 sensor location...car guys have blazed this path for decades now with excellent results. Bottom line is that at light loads the motor needs to run a bit richer at very light throttle angles and rpms in the realistic range for where we ride our bikes. Wide open fueling is close to right with many of the map versions which is why you see little if any gain on the dyno from a map swap, the dyno is only one test bed however. The real world is the best testing environment on earth. The dyno can answer 90% of my questions BUT the last 10% or so is always about how he bike feels in a dynamic environment like your favorite back road or track.

R&D on the new Tuono is just starting for me. Most of the world has a year's head start but his bike is gonna be a HUGE hit and therefore I need to get up to speed real quick. Having a designated demo to try out things on helps more han you can imagine since I refuse to beta test on customers or their bikes. Personal thing. On Monday for example I am ordering every size and shape of velocity stack made to date for the V4 to test. You can see stack effect very easily on the dyno since it is primary an effect only in play near WFO. I will post results as time permits. Once I get what I want nailed down here it will be time to author more custom map trims. Looking very forward to aging with the new PCV too, and autotuner. If I add enough lambda adapters a seriously custom advanced map may be possible with each of the four cylinder running as close as possible to my "idea" af/r's for a given rpm/load. Being a V4 motor I am guessing that cylinder to cylinder tuning will be he holy grail of making super smooth and wicked power. At the same time I am shooting for a very real 40-42 mpg on stock or near stock gearing when doing the commuter drone. There is no reason that of ridden conservatively the RSV4 or Tuono V4 should not be able to get normal for the class fuel economy as an added bonus. As of right now I cannot keep out of the throttle every time I see a gap in traffic or a LEO free zone. Personal issue again there!
    Diminished expectations is the key to happiness in life.

Micah Shoemaker
    AF1 Racing
    9900 IH35N
    Austin, TX 78753
    micah@af1racing.com
    @ShoemakerMicah
    @AF1Racingaustin

Nice info here Micah , makes sense to me

And have noticed that with my Levince factory II without db killer is not as responsive as with them in ...Can imagin that will be the opposite with race ecu ..

apriliaforum expert
    well Micah, your targets seems to be very 'high' , i wish you best luck and really hope you can reach them asap, specially the mpg one . Power is not a real issue on this great bike, but mileage in slow riding it is.. You are starting one year later on the tuono, but did u already get some result with rsv4 that is out from 2009 in this regard ? Anyway nothing good has been done everywhere else in this year of tuono v4, so i'm keeping my attention very high on your future work .
    We are now paying almost 2 euro for 1 litre of fuel .. also a little 2km per liter gain is going to be a great result imho.

apriliaforum expert
    then i quote Micah with the dyno not telling all the story.. with S or T map, dynos are almost identical since they're done at full throttle , while there is a quite big difference in real world riding between the 2 maps, but these differences cannot be told from the graphs.

Page 4 of 35 FirstFirst ... 2345614 ... LastLast