Page 1 of 35 12311 ... LastLast

Thread: Performance mods for the Tuono V4

Performance mods for the Tuono V4, plus other things you should know!

Heres a list of performance modifications, ideas & general information for all Tuono V4 1000 & 1100

The first 2 posts will be updated with new info so No need to read the whole thread. But do ask questions or add ideas.

Performance Mods.

1. Slip-on exhaust
    Eg: Werkes GP, Leo Vince, Austin Racing GP2, Akrapovic etc. Add great sound & a little performance. 2-6hp at best.
    You can run stock ecu & a muffler but best to get race mapping or a PC5 as Bike will feel smoother and run better.

NOTE: The 'Aprilia' Ackropovic is more expensive but comes with RACE ECU unlock code. The NON Aprilia Akra has NO code so you have to buy race ecu at extra cost..

'Core' the stock pipe. Its cheap & simple & will give performance gains similar to a slip-on while maintaining the standard look, but its still heavy. Either remove the Cat from the entry to the slipon or cut that bit of pipe off & replace with a clean link pipe. The perforated core in the stock pipe tapers down in size so is wider where the gasses enter the muffler & narrower on exit. This is not ideal for max hp as gasses expand as they cool. It may make the bike quieter?

2. Performance Air filter.
    DONT buy the RSV4 filter. It doesn't fit the Tuono V4! But the 2004-2010 RSV1000 filter DOES FIT. (go figure!)
    The RSV4 filter can be adapted to fit using RSV4 parts 13:* 858877 & *17 : 858878 from rsv4 airbox

3. Race ECU.
    You can tel its installed if it says RACE in bottom left of the dash.
    Your warranty will NOT be void.Its an Aprilia part.
    The RACE ECU IS a stock ECU but with a different map.
    The Tuono & RSV4 have the same ECU, but different maps. Use it with free flowing exhaust.

Buy Race ECU or get existing ecu remapped by AF1. If you buy the Aprilia Ackropovic slipon or full system it comes with an unlock code allowing the dealer to download the latest RACE map into your stock ECU. Some dealers can update the ecu with a race map even if you havent bought the Ackropovic muffler. Ask AF1 to do it

RACE mapping changes fueling, timing & throttle response PLUS the ride-by-wire parameters that manage acceleration & engine braking. Flapper is also disabled and can be removed (servo too). But only remove the servo if you have RACE map. See Flapper mod further down. Fuel economy appears to be better with race map

Race maps retain the 3 modes of Road, Sport & Race. Your warranty is NOT void

4. Air Fuel custom map.
    Power Commander 5 PCv. Get Auto tune or a dyno & good tuner. Gabro can do a custom map (search him) and a new option from Openflash Tablet may allow you to customise the map yourself. do a search in the forum.

NOTE the Tuono only has 4 injectors. RSV4 Factory has 8. So don't buy the rsv4 pcv. Also check RapidBike tuning module as also can adjust timing, which PCV cant. With RapidBike a RACE ECU is not needed as timing can be adjusted.

PCv & Rapid Bike also has the Auto Tune module to enable you to create "on road" custom maps & to tune the bike & create the maps yourself. This is can be better than dyno custom maps if done right & certainly cheaper. It also enables you to remap 'free' if you make changes to the bike.

5. Flapper Valve in the exhaust.
    It sits in the header where the slip-on attaches to the header & is for noise reduction not midrange. Removing the stock muffler doesnt remove the flapper. Disable it by disconnecting the cables at servo end. Its a 10 min job. Get better sound & arguably better performance. Try it, if you don't like then reconnect the cables.
    removing the servo motor reduces weight & improves looks but you cant remove unless you have the RACE map or you get service warning lights. If no race ecu you can insert a resister to trick the ecu to thinking the Servo motor is still plugged in.

6. Intake & Airbox mods?
    Don't know of any yet, but it is a tiny airbox. Can't remove the lid unless you find somewhere else to put the ecu and there is fuckall chance of that as there is no room on the bike.

7. Velocity Stacks?
    These are the intake funnels inside your airbox. In theory changes in length can increase midrange or improve top end, depending on configuration. But don't bother at this stage as Dyno Tests by Gabrio show using RAV4 stacks do NOT improve things as the Tuono cams respond better to the stock stacks.

8. Block off Plates.
    Used on the RSV4. gains Are marginal.

9. Supercharger.
    Hmmmmm. Now we're talking. Wishful thinking & No one has done it that I know of, but it makes your willie twitch just thinking about it.

10. Gearing
    Best cheap mod. Dropping gearing ratios gives more drive & acceleration. Front sprocket is 16 stock. Drop to 15. This also lengthens wheelbase a fraction making more stable. Alternatively leave front alone & add 2 teeth to the rear. Similar effect on performance but it shortens the wheelbase so shes even easier to wheelie. You dont need to break the chain. Just remove the rear wheel and replace the front sprocket. Stock chain fits when adding 2 teeth to rear sprocket.

With 15/42 you can still achieve 270kph (166+mph). So you won't lose top speed, but will gain in acceleration. Fuel use didnt seem to change

Front & rear sprockets are the same as the old V2 Tuono & RSV1000 so you can replace with them.

11. Suspension upgrades.
    Before upgrading, if you want a more compliant ride try this. Reduce rear bike sag to 18mm by winding back preload. Rear Comp 20 out. rebound 18 out. Front bike only sag 30mm. Comp 18 out. Rebound 14 out. Seems weird setup but try it.
    Get forks and shock revalved if needed.

I had the Sachs forks & shock revalved & it transformed the bike. Bloody awesome. Just make sure your suspension guy knows his stuff. I used Robert Taylor In NZ and the results where excellent. It is now compliant and comfortable to ride, yet better controlled and has improved handling.

Ohlins forks from the RSV DO fit the tuono. But rsv4 ohlins forks have better internals. However, if going to ohlins the fork diameter is not the same as the sachs. So you must get the LOWER triple clamp from the ohlins equipped rsv4. You can't use rsv triple clamps as the offsets are different. You wil also need to make or buy a little adapter to hose the traction control sensor. And easy mod though.

The sachs forks have good potential. Revalved gives excellent results.

The sachs shock is not height adjustable but it is easy to rebuild with ohlins internals. So if you are happy with the bikes turn in then just get a revalve done. I did... great result.

My tuner put the Sachs shock on a shock Dyno and here are some facts as I recall them (I will get specs and figures). 1. The spring is NOT progressive like some on the RSV4. It is single rate (which is better). 2. There is WAY TOO MUCH low speed compression. 3. there is too much high speed compression. 4. rebound rates are... cant remember actually

Incidentally, some time at the California Superbike School or Ron Haslem school etc will also improve those cornering speeds and lap times.

12. Replace the wheels with Oz wheels off the rsv4 our the rsv or Tuono. All years. But later years are lighter. Perfect fit.

Swap the brake rotors over & the aprc sensor plates. Easy.

Note... when using RSV Oz wheels the rear sensor for aprc that sits on the swing arm needs to have a 1mm washer put under its securing bolt. This moves it 1 mm away from the sensor plate, otherwise it will rub on it & cause fault codes & traction control problems. If you forget to put the washer in and traction goes weird then turn traction control off till you get back from your ride.

13. Raised Screen.
    MRA. Nice screen with clean lines.
    Puig. Is the ugliest bastard you have ever seen. (mother-in-law aside!) Looks like a transformer
    Aprilia OEM touring screen is excellent but pricey.

Brakes. Yeah baby!
    Tuono brakes 2015-16 are great. 2017 gets M50's which are epic. But 2011-14 are wooden & lack initial bite. Some sweet mono blocks & an upgraded master cylinder will set her off beautifully and she will stop like you just slammed into ya mother-in-laws fat ass! A good choice is the Brembo RCS19 MC and maybe even some BrakeTech discs. But the RSC19 master and some new pads are the perfect combo for the street. Huge improvement!

Bar Risers
    The Mana risers fit straight on and raise bar 1" & back 1". Of get the V2 bars from the Gen 1 Tuonos.

LED Indicators
    Look great but NO resistor is needed as the ECU controls the flashing

Some General info.

The older RSV & RSV4 wheels DO FIT the Tuono V4.

If the spanner shows up on your dash don't panic. It appears prior to the service being due.

If SERVICE shows up then get the bike in at your earliest convenience.

If URGENT SERVICE appears... Well... Its obviously fucking urgent, so get to a shop really really fast before it blows up!

CALIBRATION. You need to ReCalibrate after changing sprockets & you should recalibrate if changing tyre brand or sizing

Go into Menu screen on dash, scroll to Calibration, select by pressing mode button. Ride off & into 2nd gear. Screen shows "calibrating". Maintain a steady speed of 42kph (24 mph), +/- 2kph (1.25mph) for 10-20 seconds-until the calibrating screen automatically turns off & goes back to the regular screen. Now stop & turn off bike for at least 30 seconds. Then turn on, ride off... Recalibration complete!

What more can you guys add & I'll update this original post. And here is my bike with LEDs, ventura rack, Workes pipe, Race ECU, Oz wheels and other stuff
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	2012-09-02 11.41.44 (Medium).jpg 
Views:	5317 
Size:	230.9 KB 
ID:	202911  

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	2012-08-22 11.28.12.jpg 
Views:	1602 
Size:	65.6 KB 
ID:	202912  

Last edited by scott2ride; 08-06-2017 at 11:23 PM. Reason: minor updates and sticky
    ScottyDog

Official Aprilia Linkage Tester !

In The Garage

1. Tuono V4 1100 RF, 15/42, Austin Racing GP1RR 70mm pipe, Race ECU, heated grips, CRG Bar End mirrors, Hepco-Becker sports Rack with Givi box when touring, Baher Intercom, Nitrous kit, super charger, shitty Chinese folding levers & a flashy sticker that makes me faster...

2. Merc C63 Coupe 507 AMG (Currently in repair)

3. Toyota Prado VX SUV

I had the block off plates on the rsv4 factory and I had the impression he needed less fuel. So I m considering now to install them on my Tuono V4.
    bartho

More info on the block off plates please...
    ScottyDog

In The Garage

1. Tuono V4 1100 RF, 15/42, Austin Racing GP1RR 70mm pipe, Race ECU, heated grips, CRG Bar End mirrors, Hepco-Becker sports Rack with Givi box when touring, Baher Intercom, Nitrous kit, super charger, shitty Chinese folding levers & a flashy sticker that makes me faster...

3. Toyota Prado VX SUV

In the slip on section should mention the race ecu issue.

ie. aprilia Akra exhaust $$$ comes with Ecu code
    NON aprilia Akra = no code.

etc

BTW ... good Idea...

Once compiled maybe make it into a FAQ sticky.
    ================================
    Stu's travels
    Youtube channel

Quote Originally Posted by stu_h View Post
    In the slip on section should mention the race ecu issue.
    Done Oh, and can someone confirm if the Akropovich with ECU code is a slipon or is it the full system???
    ScottyDog

In The Garage

3. Toyota Prado VX SUV

apriliaforum prov-nov Tuonodownunder's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by scott2ride View Post
    Done Oh, and can someone confirm if the Akropovich with ECU code is a slipon or is it the full system???
    As I understand it Scotty it is available as a package with both slip on and full system.
    Past Bikes:-
    Ducati Monster 750
    Cagiva Raptor 1000
    Aprilia Tuono RSV1000
    KTM Superduke 990

Current Bike:-
    Aprilia V4R APRC (Black)

Quote Originally Posted by Tuonodownunder View Post
    As I understand it Scotty it is available as a package with both slip on and full system.
    definately a package with the Slip on .. not sure on full system..

My fear is that people will buy the cheap versions on ebay etc , not realising they cant get the map loaded etc ..
    same with all others of course..

EDIT which is excactly what you said !
    Stu's travels
    Youtube channel

I called aprilia sweden and asked , he said no need for race ecu with just slipon . Only for Whole system changed he said .

I called dealer to dublecheck too he said the same thing and posted me an dyno with stock and with slipon ...

this from an Rsv4 air/fuel .. differs almost 0 .

They had tested with race ecu but did not se any diffrence he told me .

Us bikes is another story ...
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	af_rsv4_aprc.jpg 
Views:	769 
Size:	147.9 KB 
ID:	183622  

apriliaforum expert
    The ECU unlock code comes with both the slipon and the full system from Aprilia/Akrapovic. The slipon comes with two midpipes, one catalyzed, one is not, plus a noise tube and the ECU unlock code. I was looking at this VS the evo1 system. Then the Evo2 came out and I bought that for my RSV4. Was debating between full system and slipon if/when I get my Tuono. The four definite things that I will do are to swap the axial mount master cylinder for a radial mount, swap the two piece calipers for monoblocks with Z04 pads (assuming I keep stock rotors), ditch the cast wheels for forged (I lost 22lbs when I put the Mana and V4 n the same wheels) and ditch the sachs for Ohlins...

just another Aprilia fanatic amauri's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Micke65 View Post
    I called aprilia sweden and asked , he said no need for race ecu with just slipon . Only for Whole system changed he said .

I called dealer to dublecheck too he said the same thing and posted me an dyno with stock and with slipon ...

this from an Rsv4 air/fuel .. differs almost 0 .

They had tested with race ecu but did not se any diffrence he told me .

Us bikes is another story ...

The official word in writing from Aprilia Italy is that you can run the Akrapovic slipon without the Race map if you leave the db killer baffle in the muffler and you use the link pipe with Cat converter.
    It is clearly documented in Tech Bulletin #022-2009.

Why anyone would want to install a slipon without also installing the performance optimized Akrapovic race map is still puzzling to me.
    Never accept mediocrity, always demand competence.

Certified Aprilia Moto Service in Southern California
    Call me at 714 892-4056 for appointment

Max Lean Angle / Administrator Ed / AF1 Racing's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by amauri View Post
    Why anyone would want to install a slipon without also installing the performance optimized Akrapovic race map is still puzzling to me.
    me too.....only the doubters have never ridden a bike with RACE mapping.

Quote Originally Posted by amauri View Post
    I suspect a lack of education is the problem.... And conflicting advice.

Exhaust suppliers want to sell exhausts & don't want clients to think they have to buy an ecu as well. So they tell them they don't need to remap.

Secondly, dealers tell them they don't need to remap as they dont have a solution at hand and also want to sell pipes.

Thirdly, its a matter of cost.
    Last edited by scott2ride; 02-17-2012 at 02:01 AM.
    ScottyDog

In The Garage

3. Toyota Prado VX SUV

I guess cus its no diffrence in performance . And Race map is not free seems to me like no Puzzling

Show me some dyno who says otherwise in a Eu bike and you will make sense !!

One other thing .. is it true that your warranty goes away with race map installed ?

Found somthing when googled ..
    for Aprilia RSV4 09- & Tuono V4 2011-

The Akrapovic RACING system on the APRILIA RSV4 2009-2012 & Tuono V4 2011-2012 is for race only with max. increased power of 6.4 HP at 6790 rpm. -Race only!- Not homologated.

4>2>2 V4A System, 2 x Hexagonal-mufflers (350 mm sleeve length), with dB-Eater VTUV049.

Exhaust may be mounted by choice either standard (with or without foot pegs). Clips are included.
    Not homologated. ! -Race only!-

The race-mapping offered free of charge by Aprilia when buying a RSV 4 is not necessary according to Akrapovic. The Aprilia mapping is a pure race modus. Through this the usual modi (rain, street, race) are abolished.Once altered the mapping of Aprilia is fixed and may not be adapted or altered when riding on the street. The Aprilia mapping was tested by Akrapovic and found to be influencing the fuel dosing which is responsible for a smoother motor run between 7000 and 9000 rpm corresponding to the only difference to the standard mapping. Revolution and performance will not be changed essentially. Therefore it is recommended by Akrapovic to install a power commanders if the customer wants to change the motor control.

- Please note- For any further important information regarding performance, mounting or configuration please see pdf-datasheet (Icon pdf).
    Last edited by Micke65; 02-16-2012 at 06:05 AM. Reason: new info

hmmm I dont understand this ...

it says

Through this the usual modi (rain, street, race) are abolished.
    They are still present AND functional ... so i dont understand it.
    Stu's travels
    Youtube channel

just another Aprilia fanatic amauri's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by stu_h View Post
    They are still present AND functional ... so i dont understand it.
    The new engine management systems on these bikes have a lot of people confused, especially when they see incorrect info on the internet.

Like Scott said:
    Quote Originally Posted by scott2ride View Post
    I suspect a lack of education is the problem.... And conflicting advice.
    Never accept mediocrity, always demand competence.

Certified Aprilia Moto Service in Southern California
    Call me at 714 892-4056 for appointment

Page 1 of 35 12311 ... LastLast