apriliaforum Junkie

can't turn right

G'day.
    I have a little problem.
    After 7 years road riding
    12 years dirt bike riding
    and a season and a half of Club racing.
    I still suck at right handers.
    Lefts feel very natural, but rights just feels awkward. body postion, no matter what I change feels wrong, like I'm trying to pull the bike over.

Recently got a new dirt bike and really like it, I can turn the bike on the throttle left very well, can get the back to slide smoothly using body english and only a little throttle, but, rights I seem to be pulling the right bar back and down as I wind the throttle on (opposite to counter steering) which makes the front push.
    I may be doing the same on the road.
    On the track I dont notice the difference so much, but I have had only 1 off on a left turn on a drying track but had about 6 offs on rights.

on the road I feel a lot more stable on lefts while also taking a given turn faster and with more lean angle.

I have done CSS levels 1 and 2 and a couple other courses but the problem remains.

I know there are a lot of good riders and races on here and would really appreciate any advice, or a technique I could practice.

Cheers

You mean you're not an ambi-turner?
    Attached Images Attached Images  

Here's a good site that might contain something useful:

http://www.lazymotorbike.eu/tips/corners/#leaning

But one trick I've used is to lift your inside foot of the peg completely and then steer ONLY by pushing with the palm of you inside hand. This is enforces the proper cornering technique and weight load, you might have learned this at CSS but if not it might work.

It might also have something to do with your eyes, looking where we want to go is the most powerful tool we have.

You could also try altering the way you grip the throttle, grip it "earlier" if you know what I mean so that you don't twist down so much when you open it up at the corner exit.
    Last edited by TheSwede; 02-14-2012 at 08:34 AM.

Gold Coast, Queensland, Australia & Papua New Guinea,
    Move to Australia or England for a while.
    It will force you to turn right correctly.
    A lot of it has to do with the way you perceive the "feel" of the crown of the road.

Quote Originally Posted by klavdy View Post
    Move to Australia or England for a while.
    It will force you to turn right correctly.
    A lot of it has to do with the way you perceive the "feel" of the crown of the road.
    It might be the coriolis effect, try Australia!

You have a dominant side which is normal. Train stabilizer muscles and for even strength on both sides of your body (free weights), it will make your posture more symmetric and it will feel less weird.

The most silly thing; check placement of your right elbow. Is it about same as your left when turning that way? (relative your knee). One way is harder as others write, but usually not extremely so.
    Kawasaki GPz750 > Kawasaki GPz1100 > Yamaha RD350YPVS > Suzuki XN85 > Kawasaki ZXR750H1 > Yamaha TDM850 > Yamaha TRX850 > Honda CBR900RR > Suzuki GSX-R750 > Aprilia Tuono R > Aprilia Tuono V4r aPRC

apriliaforum expert
    Ever thought about a career in Nascar?
    2008 RSV 1000 R, platinum/charcoal/red
    Akrapovic full system, BST carbon fiber wheels, NERA top triple clamp, Aprilia accessory rear sets, AF1 Ti bolt kit, etc. etc...

2008 Moto Guzzi 1200 Sport, black... and stock for now

2007 Ducati GT 1000, red
    Showa forks, Sachs shocks, Termignoni kit, lots more

apriliaforum Junkie
    Quote Originally Posted by JAndrewG View Post
    Ever thought about a career in Nascar?
    I have thought of trying speedway.

And as for moving to Australia like some have mentioned.
    I'm Already there

coriolis effect, LOL

Thanks for the feed back, changing how I grip the throttle may be something to look at.

Cheers

Gone, but not forgotten naimchase's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by JDRSV View Post
    changing how I grip the throttle may be something to look at.
    Consider this.

I used to have more trouble in right turns than in left.
    In 1984 I sustained a track injury that prevents me from reaching for the front brake or using my wrist to turn the throttle.
    Since then, I always ride with three fingers covering the front brake and roll the throttle with my thumb.
    This means I cannot pull or twist the right bar.
    It is an effort to be smooth with tiny throttle changes, but my right turns are much better.

You will have to find some mental or physical trick to change the forces you put into the bar.
    Good luck.
    The Pontificating Poodle
    03 Tuono, 01 Mille/now Tuono, Enjoy City

apriliaforum expert rs250slowpoke's Avatar
    I have the exact same problem, but with left turns. Body position on bike feels unnatural and akward. Right handers no problem. Can go much faster, more lean angle, etc. Ive tried moving around the bike differently and nothing fixes it. Pics of me on track in left handers are nearly upright. Maybe its mental? I have had couple big offs going lefy. Perhaps I need a shrink ?
    2000 Aprilia RS250/CRF450 Hybrid.

apriliaforum expert
    I too have issues with right hand turns....feel "all off". I think it's just a mental thing...

Sorry you think it's intolerant of me to not tolerate your intolerance.

2007 RSVR 1000- Yeah, It has a few upgrades.....

We used to earn the things we desired in life. Now we're just encouraged to put our hand in the next guy's pocket.

- Don't go where trouble is likely to find you.
    - Some people attract trouble. Don't associate with them.
    - If you're minding your own business and trouble finds you anyway, do what it takes to de-escalate and walk away.
    - If walking away isn't a viable option, consider running.
    - If you have considered and/or exhausted all of your other options and you must fight to defend yourself, fight to kill.

apriliaforum Junkie
    Quote Originally Posted by naimchase View Post
    Consider this.

I used to have more trouble in right turns than in left.
    In 1984 I sustained a track injury that prevents me from reaching for the front brake or using my wrist to turn the throttle.
    Since then, I always ride with three fingers covering the front brake and roll the throttle with my thumb.
    This means I cannot pull or twist the right bar.
    It is an effort to be smooth with tiny throttle changes, but my right turns are much better.

You will have to find some mental or physical trick to change the forces you put into the bar.
    Good luck.

You may have something there.
    I broke my right wrist on the dirtbike a year before getting my first roadie.
    There was 1 particular left corner at our local track where I did roll the throttle with my fingers and it worked well.
    Have never used this technique on the road and haven't had the ape on the track yet.
    This might me worth a bit of practise.

Thanks

apriliaforum Junkie
    Well I leave on Saturday for an approx 7000km trip
    so there will be lots of time to practise.

apriliaforum expert
    I am left handed and am more comfortable when turning right. I had often wondered whether this was 'normal' so I asked all my mates if they cornered better one way than the other. All the right handers said they preferred left turns. The only other left hander I have met said he prefers right turns! Curious how many agree with me.
    After viewing track day pics of myself in action I noticed I sat further back and more upright on the bike when turning left so I now make a conscious effort to get my head further forward and keep the weight over the front wheel. This has helped a lot as it tends to stop the bike running wide. Hope this helps.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast