Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Tuono 1000R Power Commander - dyno prints anyone?

apriliaforum newb

Tuono 1000R Power Commander - dyno prints anyone?

Hi

After a couple of years on my Tuono, I am thinking about doing some small mods to it, and would like to hear if anyone has done a before/after dyno with/without a Power Commander and a custom map? I talked to a workshop here in DK, and the dyno operator says it is crucial to get differentiated maps for the two cylinders, and he might be right, but I am seeking proof before spending a lot of money on it. I am planning on installing a PureTec filter like this: http://www.kaemna.de/cms_en/katalog....l&artikel=2126 so I guess a remap is mandatory, but still I would like to hear if anyone has done the before/after comparison.

Thanks in advance

Hi, here's a couple charts from my bike's dyno: http://www.apriliaforum.com/forums/a...p?albumid=1246

Keep in mind I had been applying gradual changes to the standard Tuono since I purchased it new from my dealer. eg 15/42 gearing, then MIVV cans , then a year later the Renegade Airbox, then just before Dyno - the PC3.
    So I don't have any charts of my bike before I started changing things. And also, the Pipercross filter is a different design to the PureTec. Not sure what Exhaust setup you have.
    Get all the good bits you want on your bike (intake, exhaust, PC3) before you do the dyno custom mapping.

My dyno operator applied different maps to each of the 2 cylinders, which gave the overall graphs. I have 2008 Tuono 1000R. Before the dyno commenced, it had MAP2, Open MIVV exhaust cans, standard engine/headers/pipes, PC3, Renegade Airbox with Pipercross filter. Although I had removed the standard flat-spot at the 3500-4000rpm mark with just changing to MIVVs + MAP2, performance was REALLY bad between 2500-4000rpm and excess fuel burn was terrible - lots of exhaust soot & range was only 170km (105 miles).

After the dyno, it was like riding a different bike - best thing I've done & worth the money. The bike is nice & smooth with noticeable torque from 2500rpm upwards. No power stutter or lag, instant power whenever I need it. You can see from one of the graphs I got DOUBLE the hp at the 6 second mark. It was badly in need of a custom map from the gradual changes I had made. No more exhaust soot & range is up to 230km (140 miles). That was 5 months ago, and it's still going just as good today. Hope that helps in your decision.

2008 Diablo Black Tuono 1000R
    Renegade, PC3, Carbon MIVVs, 15/42, Dunlops

On the Englandshire side of the Welsh Border
    Quote Originally Posted by Aggesaks View Post
    Hi

After a couple of years on my Tuono, I am thinking about doing some small mods to it, and would like to hear if anyone has done a before/after dyno with/without a Power Commander and a custom map? I talked to a workshop here in DK, and the dyno operator says it is crucial to get differentiated maps for the two cylinders, and he might be right, but I am seeking proof before spending a lot of money on it. I am planning on installing a PureTec filter like this: http://www.kaemna.de/cms_en/katalog....l&artikel=2126 so I guess a remap is mandatory, but still I would like to hear if anyone has done the before/after comparison.

Thanks in advance
    If you fit that puretec filter, you will loose any advantages the stock pressurised airbox gives...

boabtree, on that first graph, you didn't get double the horsepower... That's just the reading at that time. The x-axis is time in seconds... If it takes your engine 8 seconds to spin up to peak power (118) at wide open throttle and he does 2 runs, the second of which he idles for an 8 second delay (instead of 2 seconds as in your graph) before going full throttle, then putting the two graphs together would show run number 1 has "gained" 118hp at time = 8 seconds.

The curves themselves show an improvement but that improvement is more clear in the second graph where the time shift is removed and they are compared against a more accurately unifying variable... RPM
    2007 Aprilia Tuono (black), LV Tit Hi-mount
    2002 Kawasaki ZX-6R (silver), Track bike
    1994 Honda VFR750F (red)
    1988 Yamaha Virago 250 (black) - sold
    1982 Kawasaki GPz550 (copper/gold) - sold

"That's not snow. That's Awesome residue. You have to wipe it off Aprilias every few days..."
    - Android @ BCSportbikes

apriliaforum Junkie Aussie Factory's Avatar
    I always find it funny when websites say"5hp gain" with an air filter replacement. Man they throw around some rubbish. I went through all that crap with bikes and cars. I have found that unless you add a bigbore kit, cams etc or force air in there(turbo/blower) the HP gains are usually small on all engines. But getting the fueling on song with a custom tune can certainly make a huge difference. Just dont expect big HP gains. But a crisp well tuned bike is like gaining HP anyway. Plus better fuel range as mentioned by Boabtree.

The best feature of tuning is an optimised air to fuel ratio across the rev range can transform some FI bikes

I am also curious about this - I have done all of my cosmetic upgrades and once I get past 600mi on my new T, I was looking at some minor performance upgrades. I'll be putting the LeoVince SBK Gen III cans and I know my dealer here will change me over to Map 2, but I am curious what benefits I would see or REAL benefits I would get from the new PowerCommander V with AutoTune module installed. Looks like a trick setup, but not many reviews of this setup yet. For reference, here;s the link in the AF1 store

PCV
    http://www.af1racing.com/store/Scrip...idproduct=9218

AutoTune Module
    http://www.af1racing.com/store/Scrip...idproduct=9221

Thoughts?

Quote Originally Posted by boabtree View Post
    You can see from one of the graphs I got DOUBLE the hp at the 6 second mark. It was badly in need of a custom map from the gradual changes I had made. No more exhaust soot & range is up to 230km (140 miles).
    lol. wouldnt that be nice. ask your dyno operator to run the same gear when making performance comparisons.
    Tuono 1000R * * * Honda CRF450 * * * Honda CBR600RR track toy
    "The key to life is to die young. And to delay it as long as possible."

apriliaforum prov-nov WeekendWarrior's Avatar

PC3 with LeoHiMount/ evo box

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Tuono08_LeoHi_EvoAir_PC3.jpg 
Views:	85 
Size:	71.5 KB 
ID:	183762

Here's a final run after tuning. Sorry, no baseline to overlay. Yes, both cylinders are tuned independently. The tuner knew what he was doing. The midrange flat spot is gone and torque curve is very linear. No surprises or surges of power, it just pulls hard no matter where you are in the rpm range. It made 126 pk hp earlier in the day, but he didn't record that one and the temp went up in the afternoon.

Just my 2 cents:
    An auto tuning PC5 would do in a pinch, but is no substitute for a knowledgeable dyno operator. A motor may like different A/F ratios at different rpm and throttle openings. A good tuner will use AF ratio as a reference, but adjust and test to see what the motor likes.
    For example, the guy that did mine left it slightly rich in some of the part throttle ranges to smooth out on/off throttle transition. It won't show on a dyno graph, but makes a big difference in the saddle.

I haven't dyno tested too many bikes, but have worked with several carbureted and fuel injected small block chevys on the dyno. A good dyno tech is worth spending the $ on. IMHO.
    Does this bike make my ass look FAT? No, your FAT makes your ass look FAT!

'04 RSV1000R- for sale
    Cored pipes, Map 2

'08 Tuono Factory, Red Lion
    LeoVince Hi-Mounts, Evo Airbox, BMC filter, PC3 mapped, 42T rear, ProTaper bars

'07 Yam WR450F

Yep only had one bike customed mapped (ZX12) but it transformed that bike

apriliaforum prov-nov
    I'm dropping my 2006-7 TuonoR in to get a PC5 and Autotune fitted tomorrow, it will also be dyno'd.

I'll post the charts when I pick it up again. I'm just trying to clean up the hunting for fuel between 2.5 - 4krpm for touring.

I've also asked him to chase up some mumbo from 6 - 9 for the 1/8th mile drags too, they'll be on mid March so hopefully I'll have some feed back on general riding and wringing its neck after that.

Quote Originally Posted by stunva View Post
    it will also be dyno'd.
    Since you are getting the AT fitted, so what's the purpose of the added dyno run?
    Comparative baseline maybe?

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	dyno.jpg 
Views:	149 
Size:	188.2 KB 
ID:	185187
    here s mine
    renegade airbox,pipercross filter,evo 6 exhaust system,pc iii,custom map

apriliaforum prov-nov
    Quote Originally Posted by TimeBandit View Post
    Since you are getting the AT fitted, so what's the purpose of the added dyno run?
    Comparative baseline maybe?
    The AT will only adjust to 2% so if you have a very good base map to start with you should always be in the perfect range......so he says.

I was to pick it up last week but he was having trouble and A:F was 11 : 1, he traced it back to a faulty fuel pressure regulator varying from 40 - 55psi, a new reg will be fitted early this week and I should have the bike back by mid week. I'll post the charts then.

apriliaforum prov-nov andysfury's Avatar
    I put on Delkeviks, a PC-V and a dyno tune. On the local dyno here, the bike made 138.5 hp and 77.8 lb-ft tq. This was a great result - much better than what the dyno operator expected - and I am very pleased with the response now. No more hunting at 3000-4500, just smooth power. One other mod was the flywheel removal - easy to do and worth a few lbs off the rotating mass (free hp?).

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast