Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Race set up for 2007 RSV / Tuono

Race set up for 2007 RSV / Tuono

I would like to set up a 2007 Tuono for racing this season. I have RSV race body work, clip-ons, Ohlins and aftermarket exhaust. Any other suggestions for making the bike more race ready would be appreciated.

How do I change from map 1 to map two without going to a dealer?
    04 R-6 track only
    07.5 Tuono 15T, Akra CF, map2, K&N,
    2000 VFR sold
    99 Connie sold
    lots of dirt bikes pre 99
    1973 Honda CB350

You could send your ecu to af1 and they can do it for you or find someone in your area that has an axone

apriliaforum expert HARDCHARGER's Avatar
    Have you been doing track days already or is this your first go at it ?
    Either way attend a school geared towards racing.
    In addition to a through mechanical inspection and preperation here are a few things

Good Tires and tire warmers
    Frame-sliders ( front only)
    A good tire pressure gauge
    Have your suspension set up correctly

apriliaforum Junkie
    I changed mine at a dealer Matt - it took them literally 5 minutes and cost $18. I wouldn't sweat the cost if there's a dealer nearby...

Anyone know how to remove the key switch and replace it with a toggle switch?
    04 R-6 track only
    07.5 Tuono 15T, Akra CF, map2, K&N,
    2000 VFR sold
    99 Connie sold
    lots of dirt bikes pre 99
    1973 Honda CB350

Biggest thing for me making the bike quicker was adding trail. Lots of it. I'm running an attack adjustable tripple with 26mm offset (down from 33mm standard), a rear shock that's 3mm shorter than standard, and bottomed out. The front ride height is as high as possible with the 'non-droop' attack upper clamp. I'm getting fork cap extenders made this winter - so hopefully I can bring the front ride hieght up a little further - and allow me to dial a little more swingarm angle (rear ride height) and finally get the bike to finish a corner as well as it enters.
    Todd Murray
    CCS MidWest #99

PS I Love You Wedding Photo Storybooks / Moto Union - Ducati Milwaukee / Bell Helmets / Motorex

"Humility, in our sport, starts at the second step of the GP podium and works its way down. One hero at a time." - Peter Egan

apriliaforum expert
    That's interesting because every RSV race bike I know of has the rear end cranked all the way up. I tried this and it definitely quickens up the steering. If I were running 7 lap sprint races, this is where I'd leave it but I do track days so I moved the rear back down 2mm. It just was too twitchy to ride all day and took a lot more concentration to keep from making bad steering inputs. The stability on this chassis is amazing and I wouldn't bother making crazy purchases on suspension. The Sachs rear works well if it's set up right. The best and cheapest thing to do would have the bike set up well by a reputable suspension guy and change the gearing to -1F/+2R.
    More titanium than my bikes

apriliaforum Junkie
    Quote Originally Posted by Matthias View Post
    I would like to set up a 2007 Tuono for racing this season. I have RSV race body work, clip-ons, Ohlins and aftermarket exhaust. Any other suggestions for making the bike more race ready would be appreciated.

Matt, Buy my RSVR lol. It has Map 2 and a PC3...im sure you remember

Quote Originally Posted by Rugbydawg13 View Post
    That's interesting because every RSV race bike I know of has the rear end cranked all the way up. I tried this and it definitely quickens up the steering. If I were running 7 lap sprint races, this is where I'd leave it but I do track days so I moved the rear back down 2mm. It just was too twitchy to ride all day and took a lot more concentration to keep from making bad steering inputs. The stability on this chassis is amazing and I wouldn't bother making crazy purchases on suspension. The Sachs rear works well if it's set up right. The best and cheapest thing to do would have the bike set up well by a reputable suspension guy and change the gearing to -1F/+2R.

Yeah, I jacked up the rear of my bike as much as I could too. The shock is about 325mm and the forks have one line showing. I had the forks flush with the tripples, but had some trouble getting the bike to turn in. This is on Conti slicks, which are pretty much the same size as the Pirellis I was running before.

Did you use Sharkskinz RSV bodywork?

Sharkskins

If you want some good quality fitting bodywork that stands a chance in a get off.

I just had sharkskinz installed last week- the tech who did it told me they're of some of the best quality he's seen amongst the different fairing companys (in re: to ease of installation, flexibility)

apriliaforum expert ffkevinking's Avatar
    wow thats completely opposite from what i had to do! I had to raise the rear and drop the front to make mine turn and hold. ?!?!? well thats why there is not just 1 way to set up bikes for everybody.

kev

Quote Originally Posted by Murf99 View Post
    Biggest thing for me making the bike quicker was adding trail. Lots of it. I'm running an attack adjustable tripple with 26mm offset (down from 33mm standard), a rear shock that's 3mm shorter than standard, and bottomed out. The front ride height is as high as possible with the 'non-droop' attack upper clamp. I'm getting fork cap extenders made this winter - so hopefully I can bring the front ride hieght up a little further - and allow me to dial a little more swingarm angle (rear ride height) and finally get the bike to finish a corner as well as it enters.

apriliaforum prov-nov
    Trail and ride height are certainly considerations. MY SV's all run front dropped rear raised. My GSXR 600 (06) was rear raised and front raised with fork cap extenders. It just would not finish out a turn otherwise. Not all bikes are the same. This year will be my first on a Tuono, looking forward to seeing how to develop it. I'm starting with the front dropped (forks raised) 6 mm, and the shock 5mm longer than stock. Will see how that works. It's impossible to tell riding it on the street. Some bikes need more ride height to get transitioned side to side.

You're good. Only thing I would add is having your suspension set up by a professional who will work with you all day. Here in Texas it costs about $35 for that at a track day or race weekend. I would highly recommend doing it at a track day rather than race weekend though, and follow up throughout the race weekend after.

Once you get going well, you're going to want better brakes or brake pads at least. Other than that the bike is golden. Ride the shit out of it.

Mail it to AF1. Don't eff around with it, you know they'll do it right, no question.
    CMRA Regular
    2009 RS125

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast