Page 7 of 7 FirstFirst ... 567

Thread: Lithium/Iron Battery Primer (LiFePO4)

2014 DD 750 ABS - Spark exhaust, Arrow decat, headers (all ceramic coated), BMC filter, FatDuc, BikeMaster DLFP16-BS LiFePO battery, GPR steering damper, DD 1200 fully adjustable rear shock w/spring swap, 2016 Tuono Factory wheels, 15/44 520 conversion (PBR/Superlite/DID), Strada-7 fork preload adjusters, Samco 2-piece hose kit w/clamps, Engine Ice, Renazco Racing seat, EvoTech tidy tail, Aprilia grab handles, shorty levers, crank-case breather mod, evap-can delete... and a Rapid Bike EVO on order...

I 'thought' I had disconnected my EarthX battery on the Mille - unfortunately, it is completely dead and not willing to accept any power from my fancy smart charger - as should be expected based on the info posted earlier in this thread by Time Bandit...

So much for a quick street ride today

Quote Originally Posted by rule62 View Post
    Too many CCA? ROTFLMAO! This is where the discussion goes when folks don't understand the subject. I remember when alkaline batteries first went mainstream, there were folks warning the public not to use them in flashlights, because they were too powerful and would burn out the bulb.

Anyhoo...just thought I'd post a link to the manufacturer of Honda's new Lithium Iron battery that comes in all 2017 Fireblades. It's not available for sale to the general public...yet. Note that it has a battery management unit for equalizing charge from the bike's charging system, as well as a internal, non-serviceable fuse for preventing thermal runaway. I hope the Fireblade's charging system can prevent voltage from dropping below 13.6 volts at idle with brakes applied and all electrical accessories on, because - typical of Lithium Ion batteries intended only for operating the electric starter, it has very few amp-hours...4.5 to be exact. It's claimed to provide good starting performance down to 15 degrees F. Honda provides no warranty on this battery and recommends the dealers talk each Fireblade owner into buying their new LiFePO4 charger.
    http://tinyurl.com/yc96wejj
    Enjoy

Stu O

Yeah... it was a dumb question to begin the thread. Granted, I'm nowhere near an expert on the topic. I was just a bit concerned, ie. jumping a moto battery from a running car. I've seen problems with those who have done it, and wasn't sure if it was amps or whatever, that screwed things up. The 10 Ah lithium on the DD has been holding up really well.
    2014 DD 750 ABS - Spark exhaust, Arrow decat, headers (all ceramic coated), BMC filter, FatDuc, BikeMaster DLFP16-BS LiFePO battery, GPR steering damper, DD 1200 fully adjustable rear shock w/spring swap, 2016 Tuono Factory wheels, 15/44 520 conversion (PBR/Superlite/DID), Strada-7 fork preload adjusters, Samco 2-piece hose kit w/clamps, Engine Ice, Renazco Racing seat, EvoTech tidy tail, Aprilia grab handles, shorty levers, crank-case breather mod, evap-can delete... and a Rapid Bike EVO on order...

The most common problem with jumping from a car battery is the cables are not large enough or the connections not good enough to overcome the load of the low battery.
    This is America. Use your turn signals or WE WILL KILL YOU

Or, the jumper cables are connected reverse polarity and fry the bike's electronics.

apriliaforum newb
    Can someone comment on the following question about shorai lithium battery charging;

It goes like this, I am using Aprilia 125 Mojito Custom 2010 model, it has old school type 3-phase alternator (3 wire, 40VAC output) and originally came with 12V Yuasa lead acid battery.

Since I first bought the bike I measured the voltages on this Yuasa battery, as non-load (no ignition, no lamps) voltage 12.5V and motor idle voltage 13.2V and motor speed 3000rpm voltage is 3.35V. Then for some reasons I wanted to change the battery to Shorai 12V LiPoFe lithium battery.

I understand that lithium battery needs minimum 13.4V and maximum 14.8V, and I was aware that I am even lower side charging since the first day. But I just wanted to try anyway and during 4 full years I was happy with it without any single problem, until last month. I checked the r/r and it was not doing well, so i changed the r/r (old school rectifier/regulator, so it is not Mosfet type) with the same r/r type and bingo, the same battery is running smoothly again. Only because of this mentioned old r/r problem, i had to take out the battery and charge in external charger for 45 minutes only.

My Question is, why I am not having problem with this lithium battery, if I am under-charging since the last 4 years ??? Could it be because I am in tropical area (singapore) where 365 days is hot in a year, so no cold wheather issue ? Or the old-school alternator on the bike is giving lower Volt but it might have sufficient Ampere output ??

I am really wondering the possible reasons for these questions and to have an idea when the battery could say bye-bye to me and to replace it with a new one. I use the bike every day to go to work and return home, so total riding time daily is 1 and half hours. The catalogue of this shorai battery says external charging time is about 45 mins only.

Page 7 of 7 FirstFirst ... 567