Page 5 of 7 FirstFirst ... 34567 LastLast

Thread: Lithium/Iron Battery Primer (LiFePO4)

I was told its there to regulate charging current, lead acid batteries are self regulating.

Lead acid batteries are definitely not self regulating.

If you look at the first post of this thread there is a schematic shown of a battery with a balancing circuit. Maybe that is what he is talking about. This is not something that all lithium cell packs have.

Could be, I'm not a battery expert, just relaying what he told me.

What I DO know is that a Shorai battery was blowing ignition fuses in my track bike.

As an early adapter, I bought an Alien Motion - which is the Ballistic before Chip and friends realized what balancing was and that they needed to add it to the units...

My engine builder continually told me to remove it and run an old school lead acid battery, which I currently have in all of the bikes.

However, after reading all of this excellent info, I may jump back into the light weight fray with an EarthX.

Thanks everyone - and especially Time Bandit for this outstanding thread!

Quote Originally Posted by bidwell View Post
    Could be, I'm not a battery expert, just relaying what he told me.

What I DO know is that a Shorai battery was blowing ignition fuses in my track bike.
    can't tell you how many claims we processed on those as a motorsports dealer. also-this relates to rc stuff in that you are much better off when using a balancing type charger.
    hubris-that's the game with the blocks, right?

/ˌʌɪəˈtɒlə/

apriliaforum expert Bill in OKC's Avatar
    After using the A123 batteries I was sold. Then A123 went away. After ?4-5? years the original pack died and the 'replacement copies' (2 sets from different places) would not turn the bike over. I think the LiFePO4 batteries are kind of hit and miss. Some, most, work great and last a long time, some spontaneously combust. I've gone back to lead acid but in a few years I'll probably give it another shot.

I had a Suzuki T350 once upon a time. It would run without the battery but the lights would get brighter as the RPMs picked up and at a certain point the headlight would burn out. With the battery installed the headlight would stay pretty much the same brightness.
    Last edited by Bill in OKC; 12-03-2014 at 11:44 AM.
    '02 RSVR '07 S4Rs '08 FXSTB '75 GT550 '74 H1 500 '71 CB750

Damn, so much negative talk about the Shorai when so many people on other forums rate them as the best based on experience......I guess it really is hit or miss but I'm hoping it is hit especially since I pulled the trigger a few days ago.
    Prospective RSV4 Factory owner
    Current Bike: 2011 CBR600RR X-Ray

I've just picked up another warrantied Shorai LFX18A1-BS12 @€100 inc. post, basically a 1/2 price discount on what I could find retail. Which equates to pretty much what you guys pay RRP stateside. I live a cold country, bike is outside and those are two things I think the Shorai simply does not like too much.

Shorai offered -

1. 50% off of a new one without having to return the old one
    2. returning the old one and paying for shipping to and from of a free NEW one

I opted for (1) since I did not want to deal with customs. In fact I ended up working with their distributer in Europe - MAG. I don't think option (2) was a possibility but I did not discuss it, it seemed like they were doing a favour for Shorai really.

The advantages of this tech. for me are marginal really, since the weight loss means little or nothing in reality to me. It's not unsprung weight, both myself and the bike can be described as middle-age sports-tourers . I almost went back to the tried and tested Yuasa YTX14BS(?) which lasted an aon - 6 years. I also thought about giving LifePo4 another spin with another manufactuer & yes I plumped for the same unit - EarthX which has the balancing circuit built in...this is what will happen to all LifePo4 batteries surely in time.

Anyways since I wasn't required to send the old one back, I thought it would be interesting to see what's inside the Shorai, wanna look? course you do

One idea being that maybe I could get some prismatic cells on the interweb and solder them in place of whatever faulty cell/s are causing the Shorai charger to do the alternating flashing problem which is apparently a deep discharge error that I could not seem to recover from. Then I would have a second battery or jumpstart cell if you like, maybe even put them in parallel - one in teh battery box, one in the underseat storage. The only problem seems to be the price of prismatic cells, I can only see cheap cylindrical ones, any ideas why that is or alternative sources?

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	011b435f590e17af93674efa95679efadc7e8c0a8f.jpg 
Views:	45 
Size:	503.6 KB 
ID:	271662

Name:	01d4dfcbb50252c8993de892cdbd27b37696607211.jpg 
Views:	50 
Size:	496.5 KB 
ID:	271663

Name:	019251195ce22fb7d72aadff976ef362f45f46b2b2.jpg 
Views:	47 
Size:	506.6 KB 
ID:	271664

Name:	01e45a6fae71090ef79dc66cced133806c24ecafdc.jpg 
Views:	44 
Size:	502.0 KB 
ID:	271665

Name:	01c061a04ffda09b6757338d9b2ec1f327ce19eb58.jpg 
Views:	48 
Size:	501.0 KB 
ID:	271666

Name:	01e7a16a29bc82302c65f635808b260adf3a3d1f7f.jpg 
Views:	52 
Size:	500.9 KB 
ID:	271667
    "Give me chastity and continence, but not yet." - Saint Augustine (354-430)

banjaxxed - hey, great contribution to the thread ! ... and most definitely "yes", we did want to see inside a Shorai. Thank you for that "sacrifice" - lol.

Cool pics jaxxed. Thanks for those.
    If I'd never thrown my leg over a bike, I'd never have lived. - Hislop

apriliaforum expert MamboItaliono's Avatar

Cool

Quote Originally Posted by Rad Rage View Post
    Damn, so much negative talk about the Shorai when so many people on other forums rate them as the best based on experience......I guess it really is hit or miss but I'm hoping it is hit especially since I pulled the trigger a few days ago.
    They're ok really. Been using some for a littler over a year in both my V4s. However as stated, they have the tendency to run low. SO for a nice weight trade be prepared to have to charge your battery once in a while. If you aren't up to that commitment, then you'll soon have an unsaveable dead shorai

apriliaforum expert
    Another check-in for the record - I'm on about 3 years now with an earthX in my RSVR. The bike sits a lot and every couple months I just put it on a battery tender charger for good measure, not because of the sitting so much as weary of the charging system or draining over time with the ECU/dash. Seems to be all good when I need it to be.

I also have a 3-4 year old Alien Motion 12 cell in my KTM 690 that gets the same treatment. Also holding up well.

I have never balanced charged the Alien Motion, but the EarthX has that built in.
    part weight comparisons - click here:
    http://spreadsheets.google.com/pub?k...bA&output=html

2000 Yamaha YZ125
    2002 aprilia Caponord
    2007 aprilia RSVR
    2008 KTM 690 SMC / Enduro R

Some interesting comments from a battery engineer here:

http://www.motorcycle.com/features/i...orcycle_review

Electric motorcycles just seem like appliances to me...

apriliaforum Junkie
    I have over 3 years on a Shorai battery in my Tuono. No problems what so ever. Always starts my bike. Never once had it on a tender. Longest I have left it without starting was 2 months. Started right up. Helps that I live in socal. So really no cold temps to deal with. I ride my bike most days.
    Aprilia-less!

apriliaforum Member undergrounder's Avatar
    hello everybody,

last summer i bought a aprilia sxv 550.
    the battery whas around 4 years old and whas getting weak.
    so i bought a lithium skyrich battery.
    at the first start of the day when the engine is cold it cranks fast and starts good.
    but when the bike have been running and i want to start it like after filling it up at the gas station it cranks real slow and almost wont fire up again....
    I already checked and tested the stator all good.
    Battery voltage when bike is running is 14,5v
    Then i send the battery and voltage regulator back fore testing.
    Regulator whas good and the battery to, but they send me a new one just to be shure.
    So tested today, and it started a bit better whit a hot engine.
    But not as good as the first start, or if i would start it 4 hours later.
    Chargingsystem seems okay as i let the bike rest fore a while it starts and cranks with enough power, so it looks like there is getting energy in the battery. But it cant get out/used when the bike is warmed up?.
    Now i have been searching a lot on the web and the only thing i could find whas that cold temperature could affect the starting proces.
    But what about heat? The open battery box is located right above and aside of my exhaust.
    Could that heat affect the cranking power of a lithium battery or should i search fore a problem elsewhere?

Page 5 of 7 FirstFirst ... 34567 LastLast