Thread: A sign of problems to come

apriliaforum prov-nov

A sign of problems to come

Just had the first glitch with the V4.
    Coming down a hill to a large roundabout, I knocked her back a couple of gears, cars in front stopped at the entry point, so I pulled in the clutch to knock it into 1st.

Suddenly, no power, bike literally switches off.
    I coast to a halt, switch the ignition off then on, press the kill switch off then on and then the bike fires first time.

Road another 50 kms without a hiccup.

Has anyone had similar happen, is this a sign of a sensor on the way out or some other 'popular' gremlin ??

I had the same issue happen a few times. I had everything checked out, it seems to only be during these coasts in traffic like you experienced. Only has happened in Track mode. Think it may be a sensitivity type issue with the throttle. Just my .02cents, I am not an expert.
    White RSV4 R-Akrapovic S/O, CRG Levers, PUIG DB, Carbon Kit from Austin Racing, NERA wheels, tankslapper.biz, Motovation Crash Kit, R/G Tail Tidy

It happened to me once on the RSV4 during first 100km. But 11 months later, the problem never occurred again

I don't think I've had the problem you describe, mine did stall really easily as the motor was real tight for the first 1k miles.

I have had my share of frustating niggles but over the last 1.5k the bike seems to have settled itself down and loosened up.

aprilia released a new map a few weeks ago, it helps with the low rpm fuelling of the bike, and cures a starting problem some folks have had - might be worth checking you have this new map installed - it may help.
    Sold: Black RSV 02
    Sold: Silver Shiver 09
    Present: Black RS250 98
    Present: Black Tuono V4R APRC 11

apriliaforum prov-nov
    Thanks guys, she's in for her 1000 service next week so i'll get them to check the mapping.

I wouldn't worry a bunch about a single stall during the first 1000km.
    CURRENT BIKE
    2011 RSV4R APRC
    RIP to my 2003 Tuono. May she live on within other's RSV's.

"Stand up, you know what it means
    Wake up, time to live your dreams"

apriliaforum prov-nov
    You're probably right Chris - just got a small trip coming up the end of this week, and then a really big trip at the end of January - first Italian bike, first time I've had a first generation bike - listening for every sound and behaviour that doesn't feel quite normal.

Andy,

I had that problem to.. I found when i was on T mode it would happen the most (3 times in the first 800km) but i have now done 3000km and it hasn't done it since going past the 1500km marck.

I stay on R mode to be honest.... The dealer has noted it down along with some other stuff, but every thing seems to be ok at the mo... It must be a running in thing????? (He say's)

Its Italian and they are always temperamental and emotional at times and the people to.... Love them or hate them..

WHile in track mode it probably thinks, "what is this crazy person doing off the throttle, i'm turning off and going to sleep till he rides properly" LOL