Thread: need help on 2003 RSV 1000 mille's battary model number

apriliaforum prov-nov

need help on 2003 RSV 1000 mille's battary model number

What's the battary model number for 2003 RSV 1000 mille?

THANK YOU

YTX-12-BS most put the YTX-14-BS in as it has better CCA power

Just switched to the MotoBatt glass mat jobbie (it's got 4 terminals & I wanted to wire in some heated grips). Normally ride the bike very week but, this time, left it for 2 weeks. Started first time on the button without being kept on a tender. Is that a record?

apriliaforum Junkie
    I bought one of the Shorai LiFEPO4 for my 02 and it sat for six months when I was trying to figure out the instrument cluster issues. It started just like a brand new battery.

apriliaforum expert Royal Tiger's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Sensei View Post
    YTX-12-BS most put the YTX-14-BS in as it has better CCA power
    This.

Shorai is the BOMB!... now i just need to get one for my RSV

apriliaforum Junkie
    Quote Originally Posted by Worsedog View Post
    I bought one of the Shorai LiFEPO4 for my 02 and it sat for six months when I was trying to figure out the instrument cluster issues. It started just like a brand new battery.
    Wow... love those batteries but the cost has to be out there no? I recently upgraded my GoPed to the phosphate pack and it was $1000.
    2001 Aprlia RSV Mille R, Flash Yellow
    RSV Evo Chip with Power Commander, Heli-bars, MiVV GP Slip-on uncorked, Galfer Waves dragging HH pads, EvoII airbox, Acculign Rearsets

the Shorai costs under $200 and is well worth it. especially if you don't ride all to often.

You can build one yourself for about $75.00 in components (8 A123 cells, wire leads, and some shrink wrap) and a little time. There is no need to provide Shorai or any of the other companies that build them with $100 plus dollars in profit.

apriliaforum Junkie
    Quote Originally Posted by DanV990 View Post
    You can build one yourself for about $75.00 in components (8 A123 cells, wire leads, and some shrink wrap) and a little time. There is no need to provide Shorai or any of the other companies that build them with $100 plus dollars in profit.
    I thought A123 stopped making the smaller cells. What cell are you spec'ing?
    RSV Evo Chip with Power Commander, Heli-bars, MiVV GP Slip-on uncorked, Galfer Waves dragging HH pads, EvoII airbox, Acculign Rearsets

Quote Originally Posted by socalsteve View Post
    I thought A123 stopped making the smaller cells. What cell are you spec'ing?
    A123 ANR26650M1A 2300mah. You can order them from a number of places with tabs already welded on to them in 4 cell packs.
    Wire two 4 packs together in parallel, add leads to the bike, shrink wrap and you are done.

A123 Systems is now making the ANR26650M1B in 2500mah which cost a little bit more per cell. Cheapest I've found so far for 8 cells is $103.00.

Last edited by DanV990; 11-27-2011 at 08:51 PM. Reason: Typo

apriliaforum Junkie
    A123 ANR26550M1A 2300mah. You can order them from a number of places with tabs already welded on to them in 4 cell packs.
    Wire two 4 packs together in parallel, add leads to the bike, shrink wrap and you are done.

A123 Systems is now making the ANR26550M1B in 2500mah which cost a little bit more per cell. Cheapest I've found so far for 8 cells is $103.00.

What are you using to balance the cells?

A123 batteries tend to be pretty good at holding a balance and many people will just balance them before assembly using a volt meter and a 3.6v charger like an old cell phone charger to charge low cells and a source of resistance like a light bulb or wire wound resistor to bring down cells that are a bit higher than the other ones, then assemble the pack not worry too much about the balance after that. The LiFePO4 chemistry is much more tolerant of small imbalances than other Lithium Ion chemistries.
    If you want to balance the packs periodically after assembly you can wire in a balance cable during assembly and use two Astro Flight Blinky A123 balancers. They are about 32.00 each.

http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showthread.php?t=661532
    http://www3.towerhobbies.com/cgi-bin...&I=LXTPG1&P=ML

apriliaforum Junkie
    Quote Originally Posted by socalsteve View Post
    Wow... love those batteries but the cost has to be out there no? I recently upgraded my GoPed to the phosphate pack and it was $1000.
    Quote Originally Posted by xa-mont View Post
    the Shorai costs under $200 and is well worth it. especially if you don't ride all to often.

It was well under $200 shipped free.

I'm sure I could have built one cheaper, and I love to cheap out when I can. However, sometimes I like an easy plug and go solution.

http://www.batterystuff.com/powerspo...18L1-BS12.html

This is the one I used, it starts like it has a car battery. Less than 2.25 lbs with the foam spacers for a tight fit and no charging system issues or mods required.

It is like anything else, it is worth it to some to do one way and others find a different value in another.