Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Crank, crank, crank and no start

Crank, crank, crank and no start

sorry guys, spent an hour or so sifting through threads and couldnt find anything helpful, strangely enough, not even in any of the hot chick segments either. My 03 Mille is a non starter, I had the old battery for a while, and shes lasted pretty well due to the fact shes on a tender nightly. My stepson works at Mission Motorsport, so had him check it out, sure enough. his testing mimiced what my dash readout stated....fine until load and the nPOOF down to a reading of 9. Time for a replacement....so this morning in goes the new Yuasa....reading 12.8, crank, crank, crank, no fire and the reading drops to below 11.....anyone have any ideas, or should I have left the battery on the trickle overnight?....Also, is the turn the key and wait 20 seconds when a newbie is installed, the rule for the milles as well....I am hoping this is just a battery issue, but my luck sucks lately. Oh, hear the fueal pump priming, and she turns over, so its not the relay or fuel pump ( can smell a little gas from the pipe...thx guys....HELP! oh, and me bad, HAPPY THANKSGIVING APRILIA PEEPS!
    Last edited by Deanh; 11-23-2011 at 01:43 PM.

Sounds like your engine is flooded. Also a new battery should be charged fully before using it, they only come with a partial charge. Once the battery is charged use the cold start lever and if you need to also open up the throttle to clear out the raw gas and get it to fire. There is no need to do a 20 second key on sequence when installing a battery on a first Gen Mille. It is only needed on second Gen bikes to initialize the immobilizer and take it out of a high power draw condition. First gen bikes (98-03 RSV and 2002-2005 Tuono) do not have an immobilizer so there is no need to get it out of a high power draw state.
    1999 (sold as a 2000 model in USA) RSV Mille Tricolor with Ohlins radial forks, 4 pad Brembo radial calipers, 16mm radial Brembo brake master, Ohlins shock with remote hydraulic preload, KTM sprag, Gen2 blue anodized forged aluminum OZ radial wheels, dual link modified 2-1 collector, Akrapovic slipon, 57mm Gen1 air box, Gen2 57mm TBs, 60mm tall Gen2 Tuono velocity stacks, Gabro A2BF EPROM, Falco clipons, long stem RS125 mirrors, 17/42 sprockets, carbon fiber front fender, rear hugger, chain guard, heel guards...

Quote Originally Posted by DanV990 View Post
    Sounds like your engine is flooded. Also a new battery should be charged fully before using it. Once the battery is charged use the cold start lever and if you need to also open up the throttle to clear out the raw gas and get it to fire. There is no need to do a 20 second key on sequence when installing a battery on a first Gen Mille. It is only needed on second Gen bikes to initialize the immobilizer and take it out of a high power draw condition. First gen bikes (98-03 RSV and 2002-2005 Tuono) do not have an immobilizer so there is no need to get it out of a high power draw state.
    thx Dan, battery is getting checked and charged as we speak....I'll hook it up again tonight and try again....not sure thats the issue, but I do know the Apes need a lot of juice...whta was weird was how quickly the battery readout on the dash went down....

Don't rely on the dash to get a reading from your battery, use a multimeter at the battery terminals. The dash voltage is notoriously unreliable, often reading much lower then the true voltage of the battery.
    1999 (sold as a 2000 model in USA) RSV Mille Tricolor with Ohlins radial forks, 4 pad Brembo radial calipers, 16mm radial Brembo brake master, Ohlins shock with remote hydraulic preload, KTM sprag, Gen2 blue anodized forged aluminum OZ radial wheels, dual link modified 2-1 collector, Akrapovic slipon, 57mm Gen1 air box, Gen2 57mm TBs, 60mm tall Gen2 Tuono velocity stacks, Gabro A2BF EPROM, Falco clipons, long stem RS125 mirrors, 17/42 sprockets, carbon fiber front fender, rear hugger, chain guard, heel guards...

Don't rely on the dash to get a reading from your battery, use a multimeter at the battery terminals. The dash voltage is notoriously unreliable, often reading much lower then the true voltage of the battery.
    like I said my stepson works at Mission Motorsports, so hes checkin the battery, and stupid me left my phone so I cannot contact him...ARRRG! Fingers crossed......has been a little colder here lately too....

Quote Originally Posted by Deanh View Post
    l...has been a little colder here lately too....
    Colder temps mean the engine needs more air to start and not flood. Did you open the cold start lever all the way for the first start attempt? Depending on how cold it is even with the cold start fully open it may not be enough and you need to give it some throttle to prevent flooding. If you are smelling raw gas at the tail pipe it is practically a guarantee that the engine is flooded. Depending on how flooded it is you may need to give it full throttle to clear it.

Colder temps mean the engine needs more air to start without flooding. Did you open the cold start lever all the way for the first start attempt? Depending on how cold it is even with the cold start fully open it may not be enough and you need to give it some throttle to prevent flooding. If you are smelling raw gas at the tail pipe it is practically a guarantee that the engine is flooded. Depending on how flooded it is you may need to give it full throttle to clear it.
    yes, Ive always started her the same way, crank the cold start all the way, turn key to prime, then back of to 3/4 and hit the start button, at 45000 miles this is the first issue I have had, barring a dead battery and blown fuel pump...I also waited about 10 minutes between attempted start ups to hopefully alleviate any flooding issues.....dont know if this makes a difference....its like she doesnt want to fire....
    Last edited by Deanh; 11-23-2011 at 02:48 PM.

It sounds like you may have found your culprit. With today's colder temp 3/4 on the cold start may not have been enough. Have you taken out the plugs to see if they are wet?

It sounds like you may have found your culprit. With today's colder temp 3/4 on the cold start may not have been enough. Have you taken out the plugs to see if they are wet?
    havent gotten that far yet, if battery checks out and still no results it'll be my weekend task to see what i can figure out in the hopes to avoid having a repair bill ARRRG! Shes sitting right now, so I would assume over the 8 hrs Im here at work ( shhh dont tell anyone ) wet plugs would dry out

apriliaforum Member
    Ok, going out on a wim here, on a full battery charge, try a few sprays of easy start in the air box, if still no luck, remove one of the spark plugs, reconnect back into wire, lay spark plug on head and crank,,, any spark?
    If not........ (mine did this) it was the TIP OVER module, un plug that and try again, if you get spark, there's your culprit...

Hope this helps somewhat, keep us posted.
    09 Kawasaki Concours 14
    03 Kawasaki ZRX 1200R
    02 Aprilia RSV Mille
    79 Suzuki GS850 (sold, buyer totalled it in 4hrs after sale)
    09 Honda Foreman 500
    08 Honda Rancher 420

Could be the classic case of the bank angle sensor installed up side down after battery replacement
    2001 RST Futura in stream Silver.
    Mods: Modified Öhlins fork from mille R, EBC brake discs, HEL front brakelines, Carbon RS 250 front fender, Wiring mod for charging. Engine related:05 map, Iridium plugs, tuneboy, derestriced intake, old mille airboot, staintunes exhaust. Lambda bung hardbrazed in the "breadbox". Öhlins mille R rear shock with 110N/mm spring and the integrated hydraulic preload adjuster. LED Voltmeter installed inside the dash for monitoring charging. Duc 999 radial m/c for brake and clutch. EBC 320mm brake discs
    NWS hugger. Equipment: Famsa tankbag,
    CBR 600 -07 MOSFET R&R FH008EE providing stable 14.4 - 14.5 V (with my wiring mod). Daytona heated grips with mccoi pwm controller and automatic chain oiler

thx for all the input guys, same thing this morning, but for fear of burning up the relay I continued and cranked the throttle,. BINGO, although the battery lost a lot of juice in the interim, let her idle for a while then went on a banzai run, she ran well and hopefully that burnt of any residual on the fouled plugs from flooding. Shes back on the tender, and must admit I am still tentative. I do appreciate all the help, Thankyou, now go eat some Turkey and dye your teeth purple with Wine. Cheers,

apriliaforum Junkie
    Quote Originally Posted by deefred View Post
    Could be the classic case of the bank angle sensor installed up side down after battery replacement
    Huh? Have i missed something yet done it correctly when I have pulled and replaced a battery?
    2001 Aprlia RSV Mille R, Flash Yellow
    RSV Evo Chip with Power Commander, Heli-bars, MiVV GP Slip-on uncorked, Galfer Waves dragging HH pads, EvoII airbox, Acculign Rearsets

apriliaforum Junkie
    Quote Originally Posted by Deanh View Post
    thx for all the input guys, same thing this morning, but for fear of burning up the relay I continued and cranked the throttle,. BINGO, although the battery lost a lot of juice in the interim, let her idle for a while then went on a banzai run, she ran well and hopefully that burnt of any residual on the fouled plugs from flooding. Shes back on the tender, and must admit I am still tentative. I do appreciate all the help, Thankyou, now go eat some Turkey and dye your teeth purple with Wine. Cheers,
    Being a fellow SoCal rider and having a time or two weathering a hard start, my guess it that you flooded it. This can create a cycle of repeated cranking and draining the battery while your injectors are still tossing fuel in. My experience has been start lever off and throttle wide open and it starts. I and a few other riders are here local, so if you need us feel free to reach out.
    2001 Aprlia RSV Mille R, Flash Yellow
    RSV Evo Chip with Power Commander, Heli-bars, MiVV GP Slip-on uncorked, Galfer Waves dragging HH pads, EvoII airbox, Acculign Rearsets

Honest always, feared often Micah / AF1 Racing's Avatar
    New spark Plugs are required. I like DCPR8E's in cooler weather or for the average street use bike, they stay cleaner longer on motors not subject to extended high load/rpm conditions.
    Diminished expectations is the key to happiness in life.

Micah Shoemaker
    AF1 Racing
    699 W. San Antonio
    New Braunfels, TX 78130
    830-626-3966
    micah@af1racing.com

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast