Thread: 750 Breva question

apriliaforum newb

750 Breva question

I want to buy a 750 Breva, but I am afraid that the limited rear suspension travel would not be fun on the sometimes rough back roads that I ride. I'm sure it's fine on smooth roads, but I'm used to the long travel suspension on my Husqvarna SM610, and the limited rear suspension travel of the little Breva has kept me from buying one so far. My spine can't take another Sportster.

Thanks for any advice.

Robert

apriliaforum newb
    Since no one has come to it's defense, I'll assume my fear is justified, that it can't handle a rough road.

The 750 Breva uses the same frame and engine as the V7 and Nevada. But just what are you calling 'rough' roads? In stock form none of these bikes are ideal for poorly surfaced or badly pot-holed roads, but having ridden both the V7 and Nevada, they are really fun bikes on twisty, sealed country back roads. These small block Guzzis all benefit from better rear shocks (oem are rubbish) and replacement of fork springs, but nothing will provide them the more supple long-travel suspension of an SM610. Really rough roads are doable on any bike, but no road bike is ever going to be able to do it like a well set-up SM.
    S

'Its a fine, fine line between pleasure and pain.' Chrissie Amphlett (RIP)

apriliaforum expert
    I see nothing wrong w/my 750 Breva's gas charged rear shocks. But they have stiff springs so are not made for rough road riding, unless you just don't want the shocks to bottom out. The only times my rear shocks have softly bottomed out is riding 2up & loaded, only because I hadn't adjusted the springs stiffer. Softer shocks might be needed in your case.

Mate, if your happy with your Breva shocks that's cool.

However, I found the standard shocks (spring pre-load adjustable only) lacked damping performance when pushing hard on less than perfect roads. On both the 750 Nevada and the 09 V7 Classic the stock rear shocks were replaced with better quality Ikons with adjustable rebound damping. When the Ikon's were adjusted correctly, the difference in how both bikes held road contact in bumpy corners was dramatic - much more supple and smooth.
    S

'Its a fine, fine line between pleasure and pain.' Chrissie Amphlett (RIP)

The Breva 750 is basically a 1970's motorbike dressed up in modern clothing. Its suspension is best described as 'Rudimentary'. If you want long travel and subtlety look elsewhere.

Pete
    Professional Goat Burster.

apriliaforum expert
    Quote Originally Posted by shekel View Post
    Mate, if your happy with your Breva shocks that's cool.

However, I found the standard shocks (spring pre-load adjustable only) lacked damping performance when pushing hard on less than perfect roads. On both the 750 Nevada and the 09 V7 Classic the stock rear shocks were replaced with better quality Ikons with adjustable rebound damping. When the Ikon's were adjusted correctly, the difference in how both bikes held road contact in bumpy corners was dramatic - much more supple and smooth.

Mate, apparently your roads are far worse than mine.

apriliaforum expert
    Quote Originally Posted by pete roper View Post
    The Breva 750 is basically a 1970's motorbike dressed up in modern clothing. Its suspension is best described as 'Rudimentary'. If you want long travel and subtlety look elsewhere.

Pete

BS, the suspension is far better than what you got in the `70s. Even so, it might not meet your demands.

Randy. It uses non-adjustable damper-rod forks which are basically pretty crude and the rear shocks are, as you yourself have said, are short travel and even by the standards set by twin-shock, non rising rate systems, poor.

I'm not stating that it isa *Bad* motorbike. In many ways, most actually, it is better than the V7 Classic, Cafe and 'Racer' in that at least you get tubeless tyres and modern wheel sizes meaning a greater tyre choice.

What I am saying is if you are looking for KTM traily type wheel travel and suspension compliance you won't find it on a B75.

Pete

I would suppose there are aftermarket solutions that would work well, but that adds to the investment. If you want a Breva, get one and upgrade as you see fit.
    Bikes:
    2007.5 Tuono-Black, with 1102cc's of micah's badness!
    2012 Griso-Silver and black, Agostini pipe, some carbon bits.
    2006 Vespa GT200-bitubo suspension all around, Malossi big-bore, head and cam, Akrapovic pipe, all put together by Micah.

gone 2002 Caponord-Oyster gray (as faithful as a hound dog)
    gone Futura-Red (on the AF1 showroom floor. Get some.)

The more I learn about people, the more I appreciate rocks.

Problem is the available travel of the swingarm. The smallblock only uses a single Hookes Coupling in the shaft and the sinusoidal forces are catered for by a very soft cush drive at the rear wheel. This is fine but it does severely limit the amount of travel the rear wheel can have. Basically you can't put long shocks on it 'cos it won't work and will break. Possibly another inch. More if it had a longer swingarm but that's it.

Pete

apriliaforum expert
    Randy. It uses non-adjustable damper-rod forks which are basically pretty crude and the rear shocks are, as you yourself have said, are short travel and even by the standards set by twin-shock, non rising rate systems, poor.

I'm not stating that it isa *Bad* motorbike. In many ways, most actually, it is better than the V7 Classic, Cafe and 'Racer' in that at least you get tubeless tyres and modern wheel sizes meaning a greater tyre choice.

What I am saying is if you are looking for KTM traily type wheel travel and suspension compliance you won't find it on a B75.

Pete

Comparing a 750 Breva's suspension to a KTM is not fair. No comparison.
    Last edited by norAz Randy; 12-16-2011 at 11:57 AM.

But that was what the original poster was asking Randy? He was saying he was used to the sort of suspension his Husky has and how would the B75 compare. I said KTM, I meant Husky. Very similar machines though.

Pete

apriliaforum expert
    But that was what the original poster was asking Randy? He was saying he was used to the sort of suspension his Husky has and how would the B75 compare. I said KTM, I meant Husky. Very similar machines though.

Pete

I missed that.