Page 8 of 10 FirstFirst ... 678910 LastLast

Thread: How to replace your sprag clutch.

apriliaforum prov-nov
    So after some digging on the "net" I found that Permatex 64000 should be an equivalent.

apriliaforum prov-nov
    BTW Im looking through the FSM and cannot find the section on this. Anyone know page number? or section number?

apriliaforum prov-nov
    Im trying to remove the flywheel nut as we speak and by putting it in 6th gear with my foot on the brake the flywheel just spins freely. Its spinning without the gears as well. any advice?

apriliaforum Junkie odie_trackie's Avatar
    That ain't gonna do it (but you already new that).

You need a flywheel locking tool from AF1. It's $5.00 and worth every penny.

Start calling around otherwise you gotta wait for AF1.

Quote Originally Posted by imdrax View Post
    Im trying to remove the flywheel nut as we speak and by putting it in 6th gear with my foot on the brake the flywheel just spins freely. Its spinning without the gears as well. any advice?

apriliaforum prov-nov
    Actually one of the gears wasnt engaged, once i engaged the gear it came right off. Now i cant get the flywheel out!!! IM using a propane torch will that get it hot enough? Because Im heating the flywheel surface up for about 5 minutes but its not budging.

apriliaforum prov-nov
    Anybody? I went and bought some MAP/PRO gas which is supposedly 3x hotter but its still not giving.

apriliaforum expert Arkansawyer's Avatar
    At the foothills of the Boston Mountains.
    Have you threaded in the flywheel removal tool where you just removed the flywheel bolt?

Have you heated that sombitch up nice and hot?

Then put some muscle into tightening the flywheel removal tool and it should pop (literally).
    When in doubt.........power out!!!

JapseyeOgri said:
    "The camaraderie that very often goes along with Aprilia ownership makes me glad I got one."

I've just had a buddy look at the thread locker that I used and it was Permatex penetrating green. I've looked over the material from Permatex and I'm not going to sweat it.

JapseyeOgri said:
    "The camaraderie that very often goes along with Aprilia ownership makes me glad I got one."

apriliaforum prov-nov
    Yeah Im holding the torch to it for literally 5 minutes and it doesnt change colors or anything. Im almost afraid to put to much to torque into it and shear off the tdc crank holding bolt. here is a picture of what my puller looks like, its the af1 cheaper one.

apriliaforum prov-nov
    Quote Originally Posted by Arkansawyer View Post
    I've just had a buddy look at the thread locker that I used and it was Permatex penetrating green. I've looked over the material from Permatex and I'm not going to sweat it.
    Just went another go around and the puller started to turn but no POP. Instead nice shavings started coming out, WTF. I have no idea how everyone on here got their flywheel off so god damn easy. I believe I am officially over it. I think nothing short of going to buy an oxy acetylene torch is going to get this thing off.

apriliaforum prov-nov
    Ok well not to keep cluttering this thread up but I called 2 local Aprilia Dealers and they both said the same thing, Heat. Well I guess there is nothing I can do because the threads separated in the flywheel and I do not want to run the risk of ruining the shaft threads and then not be able to thread the actual flywheel bolt back in. Its extremely hard to believe I am the only person to have this much trouble, and I tell you I heated the living shit out of the center of the flywheel. I am going to button her back up and GOOD RIDDANCE. Already sick of italian, I'm ready to jump back on a gixxer. Thanks.

Look man we've all been there frustrated with something mechanical or electrical that doesn't respond like we want. You can either throw your hands up and quit or keep trying.

You want to blame the motorcycle but honestly I think you need some help from someone to accomplish the task. Maybe someone with a little experience.

JapseyeOgri said:

apriliaforum prov-nov
    I agree I was totally frustrated, however no more of an experienced person would have anything better to accomplish the task. I mean think about it, you heat the flywheel, then thread a bolt, there's not much more to it. But when the threads on the flywheel separate from using a factory service tool to remove said flywheel there is an inherent flaw in the procedure or engineering.

It once took nearly 500 lb/ft of torque to break loose my IS300 flywheel bolt , but you know what, it came loose with the proper grade socket and a 10ft pipe. This flywheel on the other hand relies merely on a few thin threads to absorb the grunt of the massive amounts of torque needed to remove it. This is why most applications for removing a flywheel use a puller with a base plate and JAWS so that there is a hardened tool there to absorb the force needed to separate the components rather than the threads on a flywheel.

I would like to lastly say that I would strongly recommend NOT using the AF1 "alternative" puller. It is obviously not made for this application and in fact the bottom threads on it were lathed off while being turned against the gear shaft. It comes packaged as a Honda puller. Spring for the $45 Aprilia genuine tool, I wish I had. Over and out and unsubscribed.

Did you put any kind of lubricant on the threads and tool end before trying this?

I think I would have threaded the bolt then heated everything up.

JapseyeOgri said:

Page 8 of 10 FirstFirst ... 678910 LastLast