Page 5 of 10 FirstFirst ... 34567 ... LastLast

Thread: How to replace your sprag clutch.

apriliaforum expert Arkansawyer's Avatar
    At the foothills of the Boston Mountains.
    Give me a couple more weeks.

I do have the KTM sprag but I haven't fitted it yet. My bike is in AR and I am still in TX. The weekend that I considered working on her it was cold, windy and overcast outside. No to mention the fact that I had just a few hours to complete the job before I needed to return to TX, made me put the job off until I has more time.
    When in doubt.........power out!!!

JapseyeOgri said:
    "The camaraderie that very often goes along with Aprilia ownership makes me glad I got one."

apriliaforum Member Mike Moriarty's Avatar
    Give me a couple more weeks.

I do have the KTM sprag but I haven't fitted it yet. My bike is in AR and I am still in TX. The weekend that I considered working on her it was cold, windy and overcast outside. No to mention the fact that I had just a few hours to complete the job before I needed to return to TX, made me put the job off until I has more time.
    understood...I am going to order the KTM part today. I will let you know how it goes...
    TURN 4 HURTS!

Quote Originally Posted by Mike Moriarty View Post
    understood...I am going to order the KTM part today. I will let you know how it goes...
    Gonna beat me to it. Let us know.

JapseyeOgri said:
    "The camaraderie that very often goes along with Aprilia ownership makes me glad I got one."

In AR now with the bike and got it over to my friends nice warm garage. Will start tearing it down tonight....look for an update in the morning.

JapseyeOgri said:

Update.....looks like the previous owner had a flywheel bolt come loose on him. Slight damage and doesn't look too serious. I know you guys don't want to hear the details of all this so I will respond back when I find out wether or not the KTM sprag fits or not.

JapseyeOgri said:

apriliaforum Junkie odie_trackie's Avatar
    Make sure you get a plumber torch, the freewheel locking tool and the right locktight. Please post any observations as you go along. Maybe you will find an easier way to do some of the repair.

One item on the original write up by the forum member was removal of the clutch slave. It may allow a bit more access to the alternator cover it is not necessary to remove the clutch slave. I think someone else mentioned this in the thread.

Be sure and check the 3 flywheel bolts whilst your inside and loctite them.

JapseyeOgri said:

My KTM "freewheel" sprag clutch showed up yesterday in the mail.... it is in a KTM blister pack, but labeled "made in japan"
    TURN 4 HURTS!

apriliaforum newb DarksideMspts's Avatar
    .....I also ordered the KTM part....it should be here any day now. I also, will let you all know how it goes.
    .....2000.5 RSV Mille....just got her.....learnin', and unlockin' her secrets.....
    .....so far, de-restricted, shortened, factory race can, cell phone charger (for those long rides), switched restrictor wire, and diagnostic wires (in storage compartment). Sprocket change next, -1 +2.

KTM part is indeed a direct replacement. My old sprag was on its way out. As soon as I removed it from the "housing" a couple of the little rollers fell out and the spring is toast.

KTM part dropped right in...buttoning it back up now.

JapseyeOgri said:

Quote Originally Posted by Arkansawyer View Post
    KTM part is indeed a direct replacement. My old sprag was on its way out. As soon as I removed it from the "housing" a couple of the little rollers fell out and the spring is toast.

KTM part dropped right in...buttoning it back up now.
    DAMN good to know!!! How was it you decided that your old sprag was "on its way out"? I wanna know what to be listening for in the future...
    Brad B.

2006 ZX14 ***SOLD****
    2000 RSV Mille,***SOLD***

Quote Originally Posted by Mike Moriarty View Post
    My KTM "freewheel" sprag clutch showed up yesterday in the mail.... it is in a KTM blister pack, but labeled "made in japan"
    you say this as if its a bad thing! I will be more than happy to buy a Japanese sprag when I need a new one!

now if it said made in china, I would be thinking twice about buying the KTM part...
    Brad B.

2006 ZX14 ***SOLD****
    2000 RSV Mille,***SOLD***

Quote Originally Posted by pdxmille View Post
    DAMN good to know!!! How was it you decided that your old sprag was "on its way out"? I wanna know what to be listening for in the future...
    It was not starting "clean". There are enough youtube vidoes out there of people starting their Mille's to be able to get a good idea of what it sounds like. If it were me and I wasn't sure that it had ever been done I would go in and replace it. If for no other reason to remove the three bolts holding the sprag housing to the flywheel. Loctite them propertly and re-install. If one of those comes out or loose there could be grave consequences.

One more note....be sure to put the sprag gear on the flywheel to check the direction of your sprag. I didn't and with the help of kzmille figured out which way it should go. For some of you I know that may sound silly but its things like this that I sometimes have trouble envisioning.

Lets add some torque specs to this as well:

3 small bolts that hold sprag housing to flywheel: 21.7 ft lbs
    large bolt at the center of the flywheel: 94 ft lbs

Use green loctite 648 on the above bolts.

JapseyeOgri said:

you say this as if its a bad thing! I will be more than happy to buy a Japanese sprag when I need a new one!

now if it said made in china, I would be thinking twice about buying the KTM part...
    Not at all, just noting that KTM sources this part from one of the japanese bearing houses...eastern Europe also supplies bearings. I am just happy it will fit.
    TURN 4 HURTS!

apriliaforum newb DarksideMspts's Avatar
    .....I just finished up my sprag replacement. The KTM part does fit, just make sure of the rotation. There is an arrow on it, as well as the stock Aprilia part. Tke KTM part is opposite, but it has no flange, like the Aprilia part does, so you can just flip it over. I had the battery charging, while I was putting it all back together.When I was done, I bumped the starter button....and she roared to life! I repeated it several times....no problems. Sweet! Time to start riding her now.
    .....2000.5 RSV Mille....just got her.....learnin', and unlockin' her secrets.....
    .....so far, de-restricted, shortened, factory race can, cell phone charger (for those long rides), switched restrictor wire, and diagnostic wires (in storage compartment). Sprocket change next, -1 +2.

Page 5 of 10 FirstFirst ... 34567 ... LastLast