Page 4 of 10 FirstFirst ... 23456 ... LastLast

Thread: How to replace your sprag clutch.

apriliaforum Junkie odie_trackie's Avatar
    Ok, I noticed that my pictures weren't showing up. I fixed it now so folks can see what I am talking about.

Happy sprag fixing!

BMW sprag fix

I just replaced my sprag, and this guide was a GREAT help
    although there were a couple of points that i did not follow..
    1st what's the 27mm socket for ? i had no need for it all.
    2nd There is no need to remove the slave cylinder ?

My bike it appears has had a whole bunch of cowboys working on it in the past, The alternator cover gasket was missing and looked like they had used clear silicone bathroom sealant instead !! the flywheel looks as if someone had chewed it with a bar or screwdriver, Probably a trying to remove it without a puller for a previous sprag replacement ?
    Couple of bolts with stripped thread, oil feed pipes completely wrecked etc etc etc

The Aprilia crank holding tool, bought from an Aprilia Main dealer was wrong !! Luckily i found a suitable bolt in the shed ..
    The Flywheel puller turned out to be wrong, But i still managed to succeed using it. the trick i found after speaking to a mechanic friend is to make sure the flywheel is HOT.... not warm but bloody hot, that way the loctite breaks down.. once heated up to a high enough temp, the flywheel was REALLY EASY to pop off

But anyway other than this the process went quite smoothly, The BMW sprag spins the opposite way to the Aprilia sprag, I had read that it can just be put in back to front, Or you can gently move the spring aside and turn the lobes, I opted to turn the lobes as it only took five mins and i just felt it was better than putting it in back to front ?
    Also i had spoken to an Aprilia mechanic about replacing the housing if it was scored, And he told me that he has replaced 100's of sprags and never needed to replaced the housing !! Don't know if he's right or wrong, But i followed his advice and used the orginal housing which WAS scored but not really that heavy.

So far so good, The bike started on the button first time, No crunching horrible noises

Total time to do job was about 3 hrs, but we did have problems caused by the previous cowboy mechanic !! and i'm certain i could probably do it in half the time with the right tools and not having to fix someone else's errors ?
    My skill level is not too high although i'm always willing to try..

Basically i think any competant home mechanic can do this job with not too much difficulty.
    Total cost in UK £s
    BMW sprag £62 delivered (compared to £195 from Aprilia)
    Flywheel puller £14
    engine lock bolt £5
    Loctite 648 £7
    Gasket £8
    New oil and filter £50

If I remember correctly, the 27mm socket was for the flywheel puller I got.

Not sure exactly why I pulled the clutch slave, but I would guess at the time I couldn't see a way forward without detaching the cylinder.

I just replaced my sprag, and this guide was a GREAT help
    although there were a couple of points that i did not follow..
    1st what's the 27mm socket for ? i had no need for it all.
    2nd There is no need to remove the slave cylinder ?

apriliaforum Junkie
    Does anyone have the part# for the BMW sprag?
    1997 RS 250 Max Biaggi replica
    2001 RSV Mille R
    1985 Yamaha RD 350
    Norsk apriliaforum: www.apriliaforum.no

12112343296 is the BMW part number that I ordered.
    Aaron

'01 Blue Mille, Ohlin's rear shock, Carbon Fiber fenders

I can help with broken chip pins and other chip problems or questions!

apriliaforum Junkie
    Cheers!
    1997 RS 250 Max Biaggi replica
    2001 RSV Mille R
    1985 Yamaha RD 350
    Norsk apriliaforum: www.apriliaforum.no

apriliaforum newb
    Quote Originally Posted by adam567265 View Post
    It helps to shut of your bike while in first then in to neutral,then you dont hawe the kick back which helps the life of the sprag
    its also easier to find neutral like this aswell .... am i the only person who finds it a bitch !

Dumb Question, do you mean I should be shutting down the bike in nuetral. I always try to start it in nuetral. Is this better?

J

Ummmm, I don't think this is necessarily true. There sprag will always engage if the engine goes backwards. Whether or not the bike is in gear doesn't affect that.

I always start and stop the bike neutral (well, almost always).

Neutral is a pain to find on this bike, for sure.

Originally Posted by adam567265 View Post
    It helps to shut of your bike while in first then in to neutral,then you dont hawe the kick back which helps the life of the sprag
    its also easier to find neutral like this aswell .... am i the only person who finds it a bitch !

Quote Originally Posted by indyjoe View Post

Dumb Question, do you mean I should be shutting down the bike in nuetral. I always try to start it in nuetral. Is this better?

J

apriliaforum newb DarksideMspts's Avatar
    ....hey guys, new Aprilia owner here. This site is great, and this particular thread is awesome! It's exactly what I need to do to my RSV. The Ducati sprag is also a big help, as it's way cheaper then the oem Aprilia piece. Just wanted to say, great site, and great write up.....thanks, I'll see you around the site.

apriliaforum prov-nov
    Hy.I would like to invite you to our aprilia forum.We are from hungary.In the forum you can choose between english or hungarian.Please visit us : www.rsvforum.com
    Thanks.

Quote Originally Posted by Óriás View Post
    Hy.I would like to invite you to our aprilia forum.We are from hungary.In the forum you can choose between english or hungarian.Please visit us : www.rsvforum.com
    Thanks.
    Sziasztok baratok!!!!!
    Janky

apriliaforum expert Arkansawyer's Avatar
    At the foothills of the Boston Mountains.
    Gathering all the bits together to repair my sprag and came across this little bit of info. KTM also uses this same sprag under PN 58440026000. I've priced it online from KTM World for $75.
    When in doubt.........power out!!!

JapseyeOgri said:
    "The camaraderie that very often goes along with Aprilia ownership makes me glad I got one."

Quote Originally Posted by Arkansawyer View Post
    Gathering all the bits together to repair my sprag and came across this little bit of info. KTM also uses this same sprag under PN 58440026000. I've priced it online from KTM World for $75.
    That is an awesome piece of info. That is cheaper then anything out there by at least 50%

MotoWorld Online <---- Click

2003 Aprilia SL Falco 1000R De-restricted * Gilles VarioBars * Two Brother Racing CF Exhaust w/RSC Carbon Chip * 15T Front Sprocket * Motovation Front Sliders * Millepede Fork Sliders * Skidmarx Bellypan * NWS CF Hugger * Supersprox rear sprocket * Ohlins Rear Shock & Front Forks * OZ Rims * Pazzo Levers * Puig Touring Screen * Galfer Wave Rotors * Spiegler Brake/Clutch Lines * 4 piston Mille R Brake Calipers

2008 BMW HP2 Sport

2006 Bimota SB8K Santamonica

2005 Benelli Tornado Tre

2004 Triumph Daytona 600 Race Bike - Sold

2004 Moto Guzzi Ballabio converted to LeMans * M4 CF Exhaust * Convertibars - Sold

apriliaforum expert Arkansawyer's Avatar
    At the foothills of the Boston Mountains.
    Quote Originally Posted by FalcoLion View Post
    That is an awesome piece of info. That is cheaper then anything out there by at least 50%
    Here is the Ducati forum link where I found the info.....post #4.

http://www.ducati.ms/forums/showthread.php?t=59698
    When in doubt.........power out!!!

JapseyeOgri said:
    "The camaraderie that very often goes along with Aprilia ownership makes me glad I got one."

apriliaforum Member Mike Moriarty's Avatar
    has anyone verified that the KTM part is a viable alternative, other than the internet posts?

The part # definitely crosses to a sprag clutch.But will it fit the Aprilia?
    TURN 4 HURTS!

Page 4 of 10 FirstFirst ... 23456 ... LastLast