Page 6 of 10 FirstFirst ... 45678 ... LastLast

Thread: How to replace your sprag clutch.

Quote Originally Posted by DarksideMspts View Post
    .....I just finished up my sprag replacement. The KTM part does fit, just make sure of the rotation. There is an arrow on it, as well as the stock Aprilia part. Tke KTM part is opposite, but it has no flange, like the Aprilia part does, so you can just flip it over. I had the battery charging, while I was putting it all back together.When I was done, I bumped the starter button....and she roared to life! I repeated it several times....no problems. Sweet! Time to start riding her now.
    How much did you pay for the KTM part?
    03 Mille RSV
    Mods: Aprilia RSC Ti pipe & Eprom, Evo airbox, de-restricted, 01 Air Inlet, Sachs steering damper, 16 tooth front sprocket, 44 tooth Sealth Sprocket, Renthal R4 SRS chain, Evo plate relocator, TCM spools, DDM tuning HID kit.

05 Raven R1
    Mods: Full Termi exhaust, BCM race filter, Factory Pro Stacks, PCIII usb w/ dyno tune, Ohlins damper, Pazzo levers, Puig DB windscreen, 1 down front, 1 up rear black sprocket, Spiegler SS brake lines, speedo healer, Roth block off plates, Pro bolt Ti axle & sprocket nuts, Engine Ice coolant, 1CarbonTech CF tank panels, heat shield, hugger & chain guard, MDI CF, Moto frame sliders, Rizoma Graffio rear signals, Watsen signals, Vortex spools & oil filler cap.

apriliaforum newb DarksideMspts's Avatar
    ....a cool $73 bones.....
    .....2000.5 RSV Mille....just got her.....learnin', and unlockin' her secrets.....
    .....so far, de-restricted, shortened, factory race can, cell phone charger (for those long rides), switched restrictor wire, and diagnostic wires (in storage compartment). Sprocket change next, -1 +2.

Damn. Lot cheaper then the Ducati part.
    03 Mille RSV
    Mods: Aprilia RSC Ti pipe & Eprom, Evo airbox, de-restricted, 01 Air Inlet, Sachs steering damper, 16 tooth front sprocket, 44 tooth Sealth Sprocket, Renthal R4 SRS chain, Evo plate relocator, TCM spools, DDM tuning HID kit.

05 Raven R1
    Mods: Full Termi exhaust, BCM race filter, Factory Pro Stacks, PCIII usb w/ dyno tune, Ohlins damper, Pazzo levers, Puig DB windscreen, 1 down front, 1 up rear black sprocket, Spiegler SS brake lines, speedo healer, Roth block off plates, Pro bolt Ti axle & sprocket nuts, Engine Ice coolant, 1CarbonTech CF tank panels, heat shield, hugger & chain guard, MDI CF, Moto frame sliders, Rizoma Graffio rear signals, Watsen signals, Vortex spools & oil filler cap.

....yeah, WAAAAAY cheaper, for the same part. If I really wanted to, I could've rebuilt the factory piece, with the KTM part....but I didn't really see it necessary. My drive gear, and sprag housing were a little scarred up, but I dressed them up with some emery cloth, and they are perfect. No crunching, or any abnormal sounds....just the sweet, thumping pulses, when that big V-twin fires up!
    .....2000.5 RSV Mille....just got her.....learnin', and unlockin' her secrets.....
    .....so far, de-restricted, shortened, factory race can, cell phone charger (for those long rides), switched restrictor wire, and diagnostic wires (in storage compartment). Sprocket change next, -1 +2.

apriliaforum prov-nov
    Im curious if most of you simply replaced the sprag itself and opted not to replace the housing and gear?

apriliaforum Junkie odie_trackie's Avatar
    I replaced the housing because it was obviously done. The gear was not so I left it. The sprag was also obviously done. The manual spells out the wear limits so it's easy to make a solid determination if the part is done or not. The sprag is not so easy to judge, but if you get the cheap (thanks to the work of folks on this forum) sprag, you might as well change it.

I could see the housing and the gear being fine and just the sprag being done. But you gotta get in there and inspect the parts.

Quote Originally Posted by imdrax View Post
    Im curious if most of you simply replaced the sprag itself and opted not to replace the housing and gear?

apriliaforum prov-nov
    OK thanks, for now Ill order the KTM part(Found online for $63 BTW) and then tear her down and see how everything else is. As far as AF1, are they fast shippers?

....dang, $63?! I got mine from KTMworld, or something like that....lol. I also tore mine down to see what I was gonna need, exactly....first. I determined I was only needing the sprag. The housing, and gear, were still in spec....so I just dressed the surfaces with some emory cloth, and replaced the worn out sprag. Done deal, it works perfectly now.

apriliaforum expert Arkansawyer's Avatar
    At the foothills of the Boston Mountains.
    As far as AF1, are they fast shippers?
    Like greased lightning.
    When in doubt.........power out!!!

JapseyeOgri said:
    "The camaraderie that very often goes along with Aprilia ownership makes me glad I got one."

apriliaforum prov-nov
    Thanks, yeah they shipped quick. Im curious now looking at the flywheel puller how it is actually functional? Im used to automotive"pullers" and to me this looks just like a center bolt for a puller. Is that correct" will I need to go out and rent a puller set? Or can someone show me a picture of how I actually use this bolt.

The flywheel is threaded for the puller bolt.

apriliaforum prov-nov
    Yea I get that, but how does the bolt "pull" just by threading in. I'm trying to invision the bolt pulling the flywheel out all on it's own.

Thread the puller "bolt" into the center of the flywheel. It will draw it off the shaft if that makes any sense.

But first make sure you have the flywheel bloody hot with a propane torch.

JapseyeOgri said:
    "The camaraderie that very often goes along with Aprilia ownership makes me glad I got one."

Yea I get that, but how does the bolt "pull" just by threading in. I'm trying to invision the bolt pulling the flywheel out all on it's own.

Because the bolt bottoms out the only thing that can give is the flywheel which will climb the threads and pull itself off the shaft.

Remember a screw is just a modified incline plane.

JapseyeOgri said:

The puller threads into the outer and of the flywheel hub and the bolt end pushes against the end of the crankshaft pushing the crank out of the flywheel.

Page 6 of 10 FirstFirst ... 45678 ... LastLast