Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Wheel comparison, weight & dimensions

apriliaforum expert
    Quote Originally Posted by kevinb View Post
    And they look crazy fragile, too.

I'd really like to get some lightweight wheels, but BST and Marvics seem to really push the envelope. I'd be afraid I'd break them on some of the rough streets around Manhattan and Brooklyn I have to ride. Any engineers or materials scientists out there with suggestions?

Oh, and those gray Marchesinis ARE hot.
    I have BSTs on my bike and we have shitty roads around here. While I do not purposely hit any big holes or bumps, shit happens and you get one once in awhile. No signs or issues so far. Remember, your tire and suspension are doing the vast majority of the shock absorption. Unless you are doing wheelies/stoppies and slamming the tires down or hitting holes or bumps with significant vertical surfaces at speed and/or let your tires go soft and dont notice it (hard to imagine...) you should be fine.

Sorry you think it's intolerant of me to not tolerate your intolerance.

2007 RSVR 1000- Yeah, It has a few upgrades.....

We used to earn the things we desired in life. Now we're just encouraged to put our hand in the next guy's pocket.

- Don't go where trouble is likely to find you.
    - Some people attract trouble. Don't associate with them.
    - If you're minding your own business and trouble finds you anyway, do what it takes to de-escalate and walk away.
    - If walking away isn't a viable option, consider running.
    - If you have considered and/or exhausted all of your other options and you must fight to defend yourself, fight to kill.

apriliaforum expert
    Can you AF1 guys bring the PVMs back to the US? Can't seem to find them anymore other than directly from the factory.
    see ya later,

tony
    '03 Tuono Magnet Grey
    '05 BMW BCR
    ------------------------ ------------------------ ------------------------ ----------
    No comment. Go figure.

apriliaforum expert
    I've used marvic for ages now, the old 3 spokes on my old 888 and the penta on my raptor 1000, in every road possibile , never had any kind of problem

Hey Amauri

You may want to make a note that the rear wheel axle length has changed with the RSV4 compared to RSV and other bikes. It is now 10mm longer.

I discovered this when buying an RSV axle to replace my Tuono V4 axle. And the RSV wasn't long enough.

Cheers
    ScottyDog

Linkage Tester !

In The Garage

1. Tuono V4 in super fast Yellow, 15/42, Werkes pipe, Race ECU, Oz Forged Wheels, Aprilia Touring Screen, Revalved Forks & Shock, heated grips, CRG Bar End mirrors, Ventura Rack, Carbon side fairings, Baher Intercom, Mana raised bars, Seat Recovered, Nitrous kit, super charger, shitty Chinese folding levers & a flashy sticker that makes me faster...

2. GSXR K7 Track bike, all in bits after being knocked off at turn 1 Hampton Downs . Other rider banned for 2 months!

Quote Originally Posted by scott2ride View Post
    You may want to make a note that the rear wheel axle length has changed with the RSV4 compared to RSV and other bikes. It is now 10mm longer.Cheers
    Are the wheel dimensions the same across the bearings? or are you pinching in the swingarm like fitting 1st gen wheels to 2nd gen RSVs?

Maybe it's for the 200 width rear

The wheels fit perfectly. No issues there at all.
    ScottyDog

Linkage Tester !

In The Garage

1. Tuono V4 in super fast Yellow, 15/42, Werkes pipe, Race ECU, Oz Forged Wheels, Aprilia Touring Screen, Revalved Forks & Shock, heated grips, CRG Bar End mirrors, Ventura Rack, Carbon side fairings, Baher Intercom, Mana raised bars, Seat Recovered, Nitrous kit, super charger, shitty Chinese folding levers & a flashy sticker that makes me faster...

2. GSXR K7 Track bike, all in bits after being knocked off at turn 1 Hampton Downs . Other rider banned for 2 months!

apriliaforum Junkie
    Does anyone have the weight for the Tuono V4 wheels as compared to forged wheels, just want to see if its worth getting forged wheels for the Tuono V4.

apriliaforum Member
    Hi,
    I did not weigh them, but I can confirm there is a noticeable difference between the standard Tuono V4 wheels and the OZ forged rims from the RSV4 Factory.

I fitted them to mine and the improvement in the handling is noticeable.

Cheers,

Mark.
    Yellow Tuono V4
    Austin Racing full system, Power Commander 5, Ohlins shock, Pazzo levers, Rizoma bar end mirror, HID headlamps, LED rear light/indicators, Evo Tech tail tidy/Front spindle/swing arm protection, Austin Racing rear sets/race pattern, AFAM 520 conversion 16/45, OZ forged wheels, SRS crash protection, Pirelli Diablo Supercorsa tyres, RSV4 bellyPan, Ohlins RSV4 forks, Brembo M4 calipers, full Aprilia carbon fibre set, Ohlins steering damper, GB Racing engine covers, BMC air filter, Rizoma front sprocket cover, Gilles gear lever support, SCM quick action throttle, Brembo HPK discs with SBS pads, HEL brake lines, Luimoto seat, Techspec tank pads.

thanks man great info.

apriliaforum Member
    Quote Originally Posted by amauri View Post
    I originally started this thread to compare the weight of the many wheels available to fit the RSV, Tuono & Falco. Ive updated it each time I found another set of wheels to weigh.
    As you can see from the photos, Ive been using the same scale for all measurements. This way we can make an accurate comparison.

Aprilia now has added the Shiver, Dorsoduro, Mana and RSV4 models to the lineup.
    Fortunately, they kept the exact same wheel dimensions as before, so the older wheels will fit the newer bikes as well.
    Rotor bolt pattern and dish is the same for all years.
    Even the 25mm axles, axle nuts and wheel spacers are all the same, front and rear.
    Note, the RSV4 and V4 Tuono uses a 10mm longer rear axle.

There is a small difference in wheel mounting dimensions that Aprilia changed starting with the 2003, 04 RSV.

Front:
    All bikes equipped with radial mount front brake calipers have a 5mm wider rotor mounting flange (see photo).
    Radial caliper front wheel = 115mm
    Axial caliper front wheel = 110 mm
    AF1 sells machined spacers to adapt the early wheels to later bikes:
    http://www.af1racing.com/store/Scrip...idproduct=2421

Rear:
    Starting with the 2004 RSV, 06 Tuono, Shiver, Dorso, Mana and RSV4, the rear wheel sprocket hub has been moved 3mm to the left of the rim centerline. The rear brake rotor to rim center distance is the same on all years.

2011 APRC RSV4 introduced a small change on the rear brake rotor mounting to accommodate the sensor ring.
    http://www.apriliaforum.com/forums/s...0&postcount=17

Many of us use the older wheel on the newer bikes without issues, though the chain line will be slightly off, it is such a small amount that it has no effect on chain/sprocket wear.
    Some people have used a shim to space the cush hub out the extra 3mm.

Nera front 7 lb, 0.7oz or 3.2 kg

Marchesini forged Mag rear wheel 9 lb, 3.1oz or 4.17 kg

16.5" Marchesini forged Mag front 5 lb, 11.2oz or 2.6 kg

Tuono Racing rear wheel 11 lb, 13.7oz or 5.37 kg

Tuono Racing front 7 lb, 14.9oz or 3.6 kg

Weighed a set of BSTs today.
    Like the others before, I used the same scale, no rotors or tires. Bearings and spacers included.

front 5 lb, 6.1oz or 2.5 kg

BST rear 8 lb, 7oz or 3.8 kg

Blue front from 05-Factory 7 lb, 9.5oz or 3.5 kg

Blue rear from 05-Factory 11 lb, 2.7oz or 5.1 kg

old style rear OZ from 2001 RSVR 12 lbs, 1.4oz or 5.5kg

Marvic Piuma magnesium 16.5" rear 9 lbs, 14.6oz or 4.50kg

Marvic Piuma magnesium 16.5" front 6 lbs, 11.2oz or 3.0kg

RSV4 Fact front 6 lbs 8.5oz or 2.97kg

RSV4 Fact rear 10 lbs 6.6oz or 4.75kg

Marchesini rear forged aluminum 11 lb, 15.7oz or 5.4 kg

Marchesini front forged aluminum 8 lb, 11.1oz or 3.9 kg

Marvic Penta cast mag rear 9 lbs 3.1oz or 4.15 kg

Marvic Penta cast mag front 6 lbs 8.7oz or 2.96 kg

Nice info, but I think you better re-check the weights quoted as the lbs to kg is wrong on some of those listed! Wouldn't want anyone to purchase some wheels they thought were lighter, only to find out they are heavier!!!

just another Aprilia fanatic amauri's Avatar
    Southern California between Los Angeles and OC
    Please make corrections as you see fit, I measure everything in lbs and use a converter to kg
    Never accept mediocrity, always demand competence.

Certified Aprilia Moto Service in Southern California
    Call me at 714 892-4056 for appointment

I have stock cast brembo wheels but have an opportunity to get lighter wheels locally, Is an '05 RSVR front OZ and an '08 Tuono OZ copy going to be lighter than the brembos on an '03 Mille??

Ok so I have a set of oz racing wheels off a 99 Rsv . So will they fit on a 2010 rsv4 ????

Any input will be much appreciated.

just another Aprilia fanatic amauri's Avatar
    Southern California between Los Angeles and OC
    The front will fit if you use the 2.5mm spacers behind each brakr rotor flange.
    The rear will be a bit too narrow at the hub and cause chain missalignment, not that much but enough to notice uneven wear on the rear sprocket.
    Never accept mediocrity, always demand competence.

Certified Aprilia Moto Service in Southern California
    Call me at 714 892-4056 for appointment

Cool thanks for the info.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast