Page 6 of 17 FirstFirst ... 4567816 ... LastLast

Thread: 1999 rs 50 2yr project

apriliaforum Member
    Bromsgrove, Worcestershire, United Kingdom
    my bike is stock derestricted, should i still go with the fatter type or not?

Tecnologia Reparto Corse RS_Patrick's Avatar
    If i recall right nicketynoo traded his fat radiator against a thin one.

Its your choice if you want the fat one or the thin one, completly stock derestricted than the thin rad would be more than enough, if you change more than its really nice to have the thicker rad especialy in summer.

Oil leak!

So the oil leak turned out to be from the crankcases,right at the bottom very close to the drain plug. I ended up plastering the drain plug with PTFE tape just to make sure it was sealed and still had a bit weeping from the cases. Had to split the cases but didn't really fancy it,I had visions of springs and gears flying in all directions, but actually didn't turn out to be too bad. However when it came to building it back up I seemed to be a washer short. Thought the 1 underneath the gear selector was missing.Couldn't find it anywhere and was doubting that it was in there in the first place. Needed some more parts so ordered these along with a new washer.
    whilst waiting for it I added a few little bits and bobs to the bike.

Red correct screw for the brake lever instead of a standard bolt. Both carbon look levers fitted now ,reckon they look good!

Brown Cover for the clutch cable adjuster.Just tidy's it up a bit also took these bezels off and sprayed them black.

Yellow new switch now fitted, had a bit of a dilemma with these.I had 2 switches one looked like new but had the little tit missing which locates in the handle bar hole but the other was a bit grubby and old looking. Ended up drilling the switch with a 4.6mm drill and glueing a metal pin in. Turned out a nice little job!

Fitted a new rubber seal on the low pressure side to the cylinder cos the old 1 was well perished. This meant that I could get on and bleed it. This done but when trying the brake next day it pissed fluid out. I hadn't tightened the banjo bolt up tight enough! DOH! Its bloody tight now tho' and bled again.

Managed to pick up a gear linkage and a left footpeg from Ebay. 15 for both so not bad.

Had to give them a rub with the old feather duster to make them worthy!

Washer arrived so time to get on with the re-build.

replaced the outputshaft and the gear selector seals.
    Everytime I bolted the cases up tight the gear selector shaft went tight and I couldn't select any gears. Had the cases apart and back together trying washers in different places. Eventually realised I'd fitted a washer underneath the desmodronic shaft which should't have been there. Can't believe it makes such a difference and its only 0.6mm thick. Still its all back together now, sealed up with blue hylomar. Now filled with oil and no leaks
    Top Banana ,reckon I just need an exhaust, bigger jets ,hose clips ,coolant,fuel and I can get this baby running. Oh and looks like I'll need a new battery too. had it on charge all last night but its not even got enough power to sound the horn. I've spent enough this month now tho so will have to wait till next payday!
    I'm open to suggestions for exhausts and could do with some advice as where to start with main jet sizes. Have seen this one and quite lke the look of it but not heard of anyone reccomending it ,so let me know what you think.

http://www.easyparts.nl/showarticles...50_Chrome.html

like I say I like the look of it but if no one knows how good they are I'll probably plump for a Gianelli. Do you get a full fixing kit with the Gianelli?
    Last edited by nicketynoo; 02-27-2013 at 03:34 PM.

Tecnologia Reparto Corse RS_Patrick's Avatar
    Giannelli is just the exhaust, no silencer and no mounting rubbers, i replaced the original rubbers for small dampning rubbers for an engine (autoparts) there a bit bigger and stronger so dont rip as easly as the original ones.

panel trial

Tried mounting some panels today just to see what mountings I will need to complete. Thought I may as well fix the rear seat and y panels in place as they shouldn;t need to come off again.Have got a spare set of these which will need to be sprayed before fitting ,but i plan to run it a while with these crappy panels on. probably best while I'm teaching my boy how to ride it.

Here it is back to its former glory!!!!

just noticed some brake fluid around the rubber gator on the rear cylinder.Anyone know of a cheap seal kit as genuine aprilia spares are around 40 euros? What other bike uses the same one?
    Last edited by nicketynoo; 02-27-2013 at 03:35 PM.
    1999 rs50
    standard 50cc barrel+piston
    12mm phbn carb 86 main jet
    standard airbox
    conti racing clutch+uprated springs
    exhaust- Gianelli-carbon end can
    reeds- not sure
    bank account-empty

Looks really nice

yeah its a shame to cover all the good bits with the bad panels. And believe me the panels are really bad. Do you like the front indicators? Ha Ha I'll be pleased when they go in the bin!
    1999 rs50
    standard airbox
    reeds- not sure
    bank account-empty

apriliaforum Member
    isnt the 74 jet for a restricted rs50?

ohh yeah i didnt notice the front indicators they dont look that pretty do they lol

yeah 74 jet is standard restricted. Will get a mixture of jets to try with the new pipe. Think I'm nearly convinced on the gianelli now. Was recomended to go up 10 sizes and work my way down.
    1999 rs50
    standard airbox
    reeds- not sure
    bank account-empty

apriliaforum Member
    sounds good, need to get myself one of them gianelli pipes used to have one on my piaggio nrg, sounded really nice, a little tinny

spraying

just waiting till payday so I can afford the new pipe and other spares to get it up and running. Thought I'd have a try at spraying some panels. Wasn't really confident of doing this myself but thought I'd get some tins and have a go anyway.Started with the y panels I acquired from ebay last week. There was just one tiny scuff on the side of the right hand side one which i rubbed out with some fine wet and dry. Applied plastic primer ,let it harden for 24 hours and gave them a good rub down with 1500 grade wet & dry. They were like glass before I sprayed them. About 4 coats of matt black and I'm really pleased with the results.

they're smooth as a babies bum. Just not sure what to protect them with. Anyone know if you can get matt lacquer?
    Also done the V panel in gloss black, this was red before, its also had a coat of clear lacquer.

The rear hugger in gloss ,this hasn't had lacquer applied yet but looks better than the V panel, so it'll shine up beatifully with it on.

Looks like I'm getting the hang of this spraying lark so I decided to do the front mudguard. Only managed the plastic primer up to now but should come up good!

feeling really confident now, so much so I'm even contemplating attempting the tank and side panels. Should save me a fortune. I'll have a go at the tank then decide!
    Last edited by nicketynoo; 02-27-2013 at 03:40 PM.
    1999 rs50
    standard airbox
    reeds- not sure
    bank account-empty

Quote Originally Posted by nicketynoo View Post
    just waiting till payday so I can afford the new pipe and other spares to get it up and running. Thought I'd have a try at spraying some panels. Wasn't really confident of doing this myself but thought I'd get some tins and have a go anyway.Started with the y panels I acquired from ebay last week. There was just one tiny scuff on the side of the right hand side one which i rubbed out with some fine wet and dry. Applied plastic primer ,let it harden for 24 hours and gave them a good rub down with 1500 grade wet & dry. They were like glass before I sprayed them. About 4 coats of matt black and I'm really pleased with the results.

they're smooth as a babies bum. Just not sure what to protect them with. Anyone know if you can get matt lacquer?
    Also done the V panel in gloss black, this was red before, its also had a coat of clear lacquer.

The rear hugger in gloss ,this hasn't had lacquer applied yet but looks better than the V panel, so it'll shine up beatifully with it on.

Looks like I'm getting the hang of this spraying lark so I decided to do the front mudguard. Only managed the plastic primer up to now but should come up good!

feeling really confident now, so much so I'm even contemplating attempting the tank and side panels. Should save me a fortune. I'll have a go at the tank then decide!
    looks really good pal, if i was you id spray them yourself
    just rememmber to make sure the paint is absolutly bone dry before applying the laqiuer as it can strip the paint if its not completly dry

keep at it
    Engine Always Screaming!

Its Not What You Ride Its How You Ride It

yeah thanks for the advice mate, I am leaving them usually 24 hours in a warm workshop between coats. I'm hoping i can get the correct coluor from a local paintshop in aerosols.
    1999 rs50
    standard airbox
    reeds- not sure
    bank account-empty

Quote Originally Posted by nicketynoo View Post
    yeah thanks for the advice mate, I am leaving them usually 24 hours in a warm workshop between coats. I'm hoping i can get the correct coluor from a local paintshop in aerosols.
    yerr thats another thing to keep them away from cold and moisture and that should be plenty of time just apply THIN coats as alot of people get impateient and go closer to get it done but its better to do it directionally and watch it "speccle on " if u get what i mean and just build it up

keep the pics coming pal coz looks good have you decided which exhuast your gerrin?
    Engine Always Screaming!

Its Not What You Ride Its How You Ride It

Page 6 of 17 FirstFirst ... 4567816 ... LastLast