Thread: DD Air Filters

apriliaforum newb

DD Air Filters

Hello,
    got a question regarding to DD air filters. Previously I owned shiver where was huge paper filter so easy to maintain = buy new one. On DD there is smaller one, made of some kind of foam. I have two of them,
    one in the bike one spare one. How do I clean it? Do I also have to oil it somehow?

cold weather and winter is coming here so I cannot ride and thinking of what I would buy to my DD for x-mass, any experience with DNA filters or any alternate?

thx

apriliaforum Member
    Hi. Maintenance on a washable filter is very straight forward. Rinse in solvent. Blowdry or air/sun dry. Spray on a good quality air filter oil. Re-install.
    If you use gasoline (careful of course- very flamable), make sure that the filter is well dried out before oiling it or re-installing it. I use a bucket or an empty one gallon ice cream tub to rinse, and news paper to spray it on.
    The DNA filter seems like a good product- well made. A bit pricey for what it is perhaps. Sounds awesome though and seems to have a good effect on power.
    Hope that helps Cheers Tom

apriliaforum newb
    Hello Tom, your advice is always helpful.
    btw: are OEM air filters washable or do I need to get new one every change? (https://www.af1racing.com/store/Scri...idProduct=9287)
    I rinsed it first with kitchen gel than I used MUC-OFF which worked much better. I have the air K&N filter installed in my car and for it I'm using K&N oil, do you think that it can be also used for Dorso air filter?
    Or do I need any other type of oil? they say that K&N filters should be sprayed only from outside ( in take) side cause oil can do some damage to the engine if over oiled. How do you spray (oil) your on DD?

DNA is cotton based filer same as K&N right?

thx
    Lukas
    Last edited by Hlodys; 10-21-2016 at 07:54 AM.

apriliaforum Member
    Hi Lukas Without looking it up, I would think that the stock filter is a wash and oil foam type. Maybe check the manual. The DNA is a stainless mesh and cotton gauze filter similar to a K & N. Simple clean, rinse, dry, and spray operation. K & N oil will work well. You are correct to spray on the upwind side. The oil is usually red coloured so you can tell how much is on. I spray horizontally and vertically so that it is well covered without dripping in the stuff. It is just oil though so I doubt if a bit extra would do any harm. You will enjoy the little extra intake honk which you only hear at WOT.... sounds mean. My bike has the GPR pipes, Fatduc, latest Aprilia program and the DNA. The bike runs very sweetly, sounds great, and has quite a top end charge now. The DD1200 is one of the great hidden secrets of the Motorcycle world once set up and sorted out. Best of luck with yours Tom

apriliaforum newb
    I have used the Sprint filters before and they are amazing. I looked up on their website and they only list the DD750..does it fit both 750 and 1200?

apriliaforum newb
    No, those are 2 differently shaped air filters to my knowledge