Thread: How do I shrink leather gloves??

How do I shrink leather gloves??

I got a pair of Alpinestars SPS gloves in Large and they were too small so I got XL and they are a little too loose. I get a crease on my palm when I hold the grip. Is there anything I can do to shrink the leather a little bit. I really like these gloves just need to get them to fit a little better.

TIA

My Website for Aprilia Motorcycle Docs/Videos/Games

SOLD 8/2006

2003 Aprilia Mille RSV-R (Black) * Aprilia EVO Ti Shotgun Exhaust * EVO/FP Chip * '99-'01 Rubber Airbox Inlet * OEM 16T Front Sprocket * Stealth Hybrid 44T Sprocket * Evoluzione Air Box/Filter * R&G Front and Rear Sliders * Motovation Swingarm Sliders * Millepede Fork Sliders * Custom Painted Black Windscreen * Decals by CKruzel * LP Short Stalk V Carbon Blinkers * Evoluzione License Relocator Bracket * Gold Windscreen Bolts * Gold Vave Stem Caps * Aprilia Racing GP Shift

you can shrink leather by putting it in boiling water for about 10 seconds. the only problem is that it can get real stiff also. it's a bit radical and might not be worth doing it.

Ask O.J.

02 Aprilia Futura
    03 650 Kawasaki Prairie

apriliaforum Member
    You can shrink leather by getting it wet and drying them with heat. Dunk them in the toilet, and put them in a pillow case and in the dryer on low....

apriliaforum Member
    Leather gloves stretch a lot. Sounds like you just needed to give the smaller size time to break in. I had new Dainese gloves that hurt to wear, put they are perfect now. It doesn't matter if you shrink those bigger gloves, cause they're going to stetch again as soon as you wear them.

Dev

100% True

Any moisture-induced shrinkage will be temporary at best. I've never seen leather shrink with age. At times it's felt like it did but...ah NO.

"Is there anything I can do to shrink the leather a little bit. I really like these gloves just need to get them to fit a little better." - VPR80

Have you tried to grow bigger hands?
    What the hell does "ride it like you stole it" actually mean?

Next time check out Held gloves - they come in a large range of numbered sizes and you are sure to find one that fits... well.... like a glove.......

I also have the Dainese T-Age and they don't even approach the quality of the Held's...

Hank is right ---HELD gloves rock----

My first practice session in HELD's, the first time I reached for the levers I thought "Jesus I forgot to put on my gloves!" I couldn't believe how good they fit and how soft they were. That kangaroo skin is some tough hide and soooo soft. Worth every penny.

apriliaforum expert Smoke Eater's Avatar
    I bought the AlpineStars GP Pro gloves las year. I got them a little tight thinking that they would stretch to fit and they did. They fit perfectly now.
    "The early bird might get the worm but the second mouse gets the cheese"

2002 Mille Silver
    2002 Scary 150
    1992 Ducati 900ss
    1972 TR3 350 (nearly restored)
    1966 BMW R50/2 with side hack

Problem is that with the large gloves I could not get my hand into them to even streth them. For some stupid reson there us is a huge difference between the two sizes....and YES I did check the sizes on both gloves.

My Website for Aprilia Motorcycle Docs/Videos/Games

SOLD 8/2006

2003 Aprilia Mille RSV-R (Black) * Aprilia EVO Ti Shotgun Exhaust * EVO/FP Chip * '99-'01 Rubber Airbox Inlet * OEM 16T Front Sprocket * Stealth Hybrid 44T Sprocket * Evoluzione Air Box/Filter * R&G Front and Rear Sliders * Motovation Swingarm Sliders * Millepede Fork Sliders * Custom Painted Black Windscreen * Decals by CKruzel * LP Short Stalk V Carbon Blinkers * Evoluzione License Relocator Bracket * Gold Windscreen Bolts * Gold Vave Stem Caps * Aprilia Racing GP Shift

Get'em wet with hot water, don't wring 'em out, put 'em on and make fists over and over again. Repeat. Essentially, you will just be speeding up the break-in process. Expect some of the color to bleed onto your hands.
    2004 CCS-FL Expert SuperTwins Champion
    2004 CCS-South Expert SuperTwins Champion

I'm surprised no-one's mentioned glove liners yet. Give it a try, they're cheap, protect your paws from cold and will make slightly-too-large gloves fit just fine. Sometimes.

apriliaforum Member
    A while back roadracing world used to do crash reports on all sorts of gloves. A point they made was that old gloves that have been soaked with sweat fell apart easier than new ones. I believe anything you do that involves water with your gloves is just speeding this proccess up.

dev

Yup.

'Tis true about sweat-damaged gloves. Last summer I was coming over Tehachapi on the Futura and felt this weird little zipper sensation on my right-hand Held glove. Sho' 'nuf, where the base of the thumb met the top of the glove it just tore right down the stitches, all the way down. I love my Helds 100% but these particular ones had less than two years of use...BUM-mer.