Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Fuel Range

apriliaforum newb

Fuel Range

Question for the new owners - what kind of tank range are you getting from the bike for regular riding and under what settings i.e. do you notice better fuel range with the road setting than sport?

I use my old v2 for "hyper" touring and have heard that the v4 does about 80 miles to a tank which would be a bit of pain for long trips through Europe. The recent Bike mag review also mentioned more fuel stops for the v4. Cheers.

Thats what I keep hearing but I have yet to have my fuel light come on at 95 miles. Havent had mine come on yet, so dont have a good figure just yet as far as mileage.
    White RSV4 R-Akrapovic S/O, CRG Levers, PUIG DB, Carbon Kit from Austin Racing, NERA wheels, tankslapper.biz, Motovation Crash Kit, R/G Tail Tidy

apriliaforum Member
    Mine lit twice during running in at 88 miles. At a guess, you'll get 20 miles out of reserve so expect to fill up every 100 miles. Bike Mag reported 130 miles from a tank but they must have been gheying about on it. I fill up very 80 miles now as it's only a weekend toy and it's convenient.

Iíve only managed to get through 6 tanks of fuel so far Ė hereís the result.

Road mapping ridden normally seems the most economical reaping an average of 120miles per tank.

Sport/Track mapping ridden fairly aggressively gave me a dam near identical tank range averaging 95miles each.

Iíve only done one thankful of mixed map riding and it was predictably interesting, I used the Road map for the boring bits ridden sensibly and the Sport map for the twisties ridden hard, this combination gave a tank range of 107miles.
    Sold: Black RSV 02
    Sold: Silver Shiver 09
    Present: Black RS250 98
    Present: Black Tuono V4R APRC 11

apriliaforum Member
    my fuel light comes on around 85-90 miles every time, and I've done 1000 miles in total on mine. It doesn't seem to make too much difference how I ride, the first 700 were keeping the revs down to the correct limit, and I've been more enthusiastic since, including bursts of absolute full beans.
    Today, fuel light came on at 89 miles, and it conked out completely with 21.9 miles showing on the fuel trip. This last 22 miles did include a couple of miles with the throttle pinned through the first 4 gears, so maybe if I rode more sensibly I would get more !

This is all on Sport Map, with traction control set to 4, and wheelie control on 3 (I'm a total wuss at wheelies ! ) even on setting 3 the front still goes light on occasion !

apriliaforum expert SuperhawkLGT's Avatar
    So no better than last gen I guess.

apriliaforum newb

Thanks

Appreciate the great feedback, that's really helpful as it seemed all the tests were run on track/sport mode. I'm thinking Superhawk has it about right - I should have have asked how did it compare to your gen 2 and your riding style as well but you've all given me a good idea and probably put my mind at ease with it. I like the mixed map idea and if I am right you can change on the move?

I'm running out of things to dislike to chop in - I really enjoyed my demo ride. Now just to figure out if the APRC is worth it given the standard bike has the three different maps anyway.

Hi Essveekay well i've done 3500 miles so far and i'm getting to about 100 most times before the fuel light comes on and thats if i keep it between 80 to90 best i've had is 108 and i've had 28 miles on reserve and put in about 15 liters this time the worst i've had is 81 miles and that was lots of first and second gear work and holding the revs hope that helps you
    Last edited by oddnuts; 08-06-2011 at 05:35 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Essveekay View Post
    I like the mixed map idea and if I am right you can change on the move?
    Yes you can, just keep the throttle constant, or hold the clutch in and let the rev's drop to idle - select new map - clutch out and away you go.

Quote Originally Posted by Essveekay View Post
    Now just to figure out if the APRC is worth it given the standard bike has the three different maps anyway.
    It depends what you want from the bike - I find the on the move adjustment of the traction control a great asset - a guardian angel if you like - great in the wet and after a long tiring ride when I'm prone to making mistakes - the anti-wheelie control is good, I can set the level of lift so I don't do the high wheelies with the risk of doing the loop and smashing up a 11k bike.

You can turn off the traction control but not the anti-wheelie, so I've read the system still stops long or over 25į wheelies even when set to off.

Resale value long term is going to be reflected by the differing purchase costs = my dealer reckons about the same grand on re-sale - however initially the difference may be more as there is very little interest shown in the Non APRC bike.

Your choice, good luck whichever way you go.

apriliaforum expert
    Hello All, just registered to this interesting forum. I'm from Italy and i have a black v4r aprc . The anti-wheelie can be turned off too. Engine off, turn the key and go to the settings menu with the mode button. When you select the anti-wheelie , that is set to 3 by default, you can lower it to 1 and if you keep the button pushed , you get a - sign, meaning that is turned off. when you come back in the main menu, you can clearly see that now the field of the map type is in normal color and not more in negative ( black backround , white letter).
    So, the 2 systems ( tc and aw ) can be disabled independently . Well done Aprilia.

I ran out of fuel with the second tank on my V4 Tuono. After pushing the bike for 2 kilometers uphill I only managed to get 15,28 liters in the tank. I had calculated the tank range for 17 liters and thought I could ride home and refuel the next day.
    I've ridden with S(port) map so far getting around 7 l/100km (40mpg) as calculated consumption. The onboard computer's average l/100km or mpg is always too optimistic.
    -LP-

apriliaforum expert cggunnersmate's Avatar
    Well I'm glad it sounds like the bike can have a similar range to the previous Tuonos if run on the Street map. Will make commuting a little easier when/if I get the new one. I can usually get around a 120 miles before the fuel light is on steady doing mostly highway cruising with some stop and go Boston traffic on my GenI. Though it's come on as early as 90-95 miles but that's in the colder weather with LOTS of time idling to warm up.

Is there any place to put a Power Commander on the new bike? If so, I wonder if it can be incorporated to work with the maps the come with the bike. Just so you could have a custom "frugal" map done if you were doing some touring or long commuting to save some fuel and still use the sporty modes for fun.
    Brent
    Chief Gunnersmate
    U.S. Coast Guard
    Cape Cod
    '03 Tuono
    '01 Speed Triple (RIP) 8/26/11

Quote Originally Posted by cggunnersmate View Post
    you could have a custom "frugal" map
    One would think that the Street map was as frugal as it was gonna get...?

I'm more interested to hear how many km's people are getting AFTER the fuel light goes on...

Anyone?
    If it's too loud, you're too old!

Tuono V4 APRC in black (and enjoying every km)
    2006 Tuono R
    2003 Tuono
    2000 SL1000
    1999 GSX-R 750
    The years fail me...
    GSX-F 600
    DR400
    DT125
    RD250 LC
    CB125

The most I've done so far is 20miles(32kms) on reserve(count up on dash with the fuel light on) that day it took 15L to brim fill.

apriliaforum Member
    21.9 miles on the counter, and it ran out ... I cant say exactly how much it took to fill as I had to get a fuel can (5.5 litres) to start with and then filled up about 10 miles later with 11 litres or so, which sounds pretty much like 17 litres in total

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast