Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: 2010 gts 300 super WTF!

apriliaforum Member ApriliaNick's Avatar

2010 gts 300 super WTF!

Well I bought my 2010 demo 300 super with 84 miles about a month ago. At my 700 mile checkup (2 weeks ago) the fuel pump wouldnt prime and so I find there was a recall with the pumps. 2 weeks in the shop waiting for pump. I've only had it for 3 days since the new pump and now it suddenly is spuddering BAD!!!!!!. and the check engine light has come on. I bought this scoot after reading reviews and can say with the performance I am very happy but come on, 800 miles and to the shop twice already in 1 month of ownership.NOT HAPPY!!
    2009 Sr 50 Factory(Piaggio)
    Kobalt WT
    Leo vince ZX
    Plate removed
    ring removed
    remapped
    54mph@9,000rpm

Honest always, feared often Micah / AF1 Racing's Avatar
    This is actually the first real issue we have had in the entire vespa line. I do not know why it took your dealer so long to sort out. In the last three weeks we have done over twenty of the recall jobs and one additional 300 under warranty for the same problem and that wAs on a 300GTS. That warranty job was out of the VIN range covered by the recall but obviously the problem was identical.
    Diminished expectations is the key to happiness in life.

Micah Shoemaker
    AF1 Racing
    699 W. San Antonio
    New Braunfels, TX 78130
    830-626-3966
    micah@af1racing.com

Turns out my fuel injector was cracked, My dealer took one off a gtv300 on the floor and had me running an hr later. I was happy with the service. I just got home from a ten mile round trip which took me up to speeds 0f 60mph on a smooth highway and was TONS of fun but quess what, now the gas gauge stopped working, even after filling up.
    Kobalt WT
    Leo vince ZX
    Plate removed
    ring removed
    remapped
    54mph@9,000rpm

When the fuel pump is replaced the install kit is a totally new assembly including level sensor so...give it a day or two of riding and see if it magically fixes itself, if not then it is either a faulty sender unit or a bad connection or the sender/wiring could have been damaged on install. I fucked one up in a Scarabeo 500 once, it happens from time to time. Did it work when you picked up the scooter?

Micah Shoemaker
    AF1 Racing
    699 W. San Antonio
    New Braunfels, TX 78130
    830-626-3966
    micah@af1racing.com

yeah it worked fine. I wanted to get it out on this highway that is very smooth with nice hills and turns and at 60mph i really got to see the performance of this 300, FUN!! the gauge started working during my night ride but failed again and is sitting on empty after just putting on 20 miles on a full tank. this doesnt bother me too much but with the other issues Im really considering selling and dont think a faulty gas gauge will help with trying to sell it if I do. The gauge never went up to full before, but just below it but that was fine with me
    Kobalt WT
    Leo vince ZX
    Plate removed
    ring removed
    remapped
    54mph@9,000rpm

Funny the fuel gauge in my $60k Benz never does to the top either. Wish you were closer so I could fix your scoot. Don't sell it u less you need the cash. Being in the industry I get ride almost ALL bikes and scooters. I have had the pleasure of riding almost every bike made in the last three dEcades. I can assure you with total confideNce that the vespa scooter line is the absolute best in the business. If it worked when you picked it up then I come close to promising that this is a very small and simple electrical connection issue.

Even though I may be in the position of PGA apologist I just wanted to tell you that I am really sorry for all the issues you have had with this scoot. Vespa is BY FAR the highest customer satisfaction brand we sell and we sell all PGA brands. Once sorted you will love your 91 mph scooter! That was the top speed I got out of our last 300 demo bike on gps.

Hang in there and yours wl end up bei g the best scooter you have ever owned ! I really do wish you were closer, I have awesome set of tools and can fix anything. Usually in less than a month.

Check the other top 2 threads in this sub forum for mods Thayer can easily make your Super a total riot in terms of acceleration!

Micah Shoemaker
    AF1 Racing
    699 W. San Antonio
    New Braunfels, TX 78130
    830-626-3966
    micah@af1racing.com

Thanks, The 300 is loads of fun and the fuel gauge issue doesnt bother me much. I still think its a great scoot. I guess im more mad at the fact that I bought this for the fuel costs and have yet to experiance "saving" since I had to run it to the shop TWICE and its an 80 mile round trip. I laugh when I pull away from a stop light with this thing, look in my mirrors and see how far behind traffic is, thats great exspecially when its a "BIG BAD" harley rider saying WTF!!!LOL
    Kobalt WT
    Leo vince ZX
    Plate removed
    ring removed
    remapped
    54mph@9,000rpm

I feel for ya' homie. Too much downtime for such a great machine and an obviously excited owner of such a machine. If it makes you feel any better I fixed acustomers Chinese scoot this week which had zero miles on it. The little Chinese kids that put it together totally forgot to install a retainer clamp on the fuel line that feeds the fuel pump with rather predictable results. This shot happens. Life is not about that which is thrown our way but rather how we deal with it. Yes, it is way fun to flatten the stoplight competition with a lowly scooter. This is also the reason I so hope to get to do a turbo vespa one day, then even spoty bike riders will be shocked in the stoplight Gran Prix!

Micah Shoemaker
    AF1 Racing
    699 W. San Antonio
    New Braunfels, TX 78130
    830-626-3966
    micah@af1racing.com

apriliaforum expert
    theres a few turboed vespa's round im pretty sure not 300 but the 250 ie etc but im sure ya know this

Actually I have not seen any turbo Vespa's other than the 2t one on YouTube? Links please, I have looked but apparently not very well, I would love to see the path others have taken and compare to my current on paper design for plumbing at least.

Micah Shoemaker
    AF1 Racing
    699 W. San Antonio
    New Braunfels, TX 78130
    830-626-3966
    micah@af1racing.com

apriliaforum prov-nov
    I know that Peugeot made a supercharged scooter a few years back, be nice to get your hands on one of those units to mount on a vespa

I have looked for one of those supercharged scoots for years and come up empty. They were never officially sold in the USA. So they are rather hard to find. I think of that scoot as top of the heap in a lot of ways.

Micah Shoemaker
    AF1 Racing
    699 W. San Antonio
    New Braunfels, TX 78130
    830-626-3966
    micah@af1racing.com

apriliaforum prov-nov
    there are other options to consider aswell, i have seen the two stroke turbo, but that isn't really practical. I think that you could do a nos system easy ( the scooter center in germany sells a kit for around 1000 dollars ). Also you could do a turbonium system like the original new Beetle, which was just a bosch motor which turned a fan at 25000 rpms, which gave a small pressure boost

The compressor wheel on the turbo I bought for this project comes into it's own at 200-250k rpm! I think 7-10psi is the right amount witha big valve head! 30-32 bhp on my dyno, that would be perfect!

Micah Shoemaker
    AF1 Racing
    699 W. San Antonio
    New Braunfels, TX 78130
    830-626-3966
    micah@af1racing.com

apriliaforum prov-nov
    I am more of a classic vespa guy, but Stella is coming out with a four stroke PX style bike, keep us updated on the turbo, a turbo classic would be sweet

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast