Thread: SKF oil seals?

SKF oil seals?

I need to replace fork oil seals in my RSVR (Ohlins forks). The originals are expensive and the gsxr seals are half of that. Anyways, I found regular oil seal made by SKF in the required dimensions (43x55x9) and it costs $5 each. Does anyone see problems with using these seals?
    Last edited by ppawlows; 07-06-2011 at 02:56 PM. Reason: gramma

Not until they leak/ are not the standard ones a double lipped seal? ...
    A parting Glass.

apriliaforum expert
    London, (England) 213miles NNW Paris (France)
    Yeah the OE packaged seals have a huge mark up, they will be made by one of the major bearing/seal suppliers anyway. As long as you get the tc double lipped then it should be ok

Quote Originally Posted by ppawlows View Post
    I need to replace fork oil seals in my RSVR (Ohlins forks). The originals are expensive and the gsxr seals are half of that. Anyways, I found regular oil seal made by SKF in the required dimensions (43x55x9) and it costs $5 each. Does anyone see problems with using these seals?
    I talked to a guy who was working for a company who produced some of the seals which Öhlins use.
    He said Öhlins has very tight tolerances required for their seals.

This SKF seal may cause higher stiction but you can always try and see if it is good enough for you.
    2001 RST Futura in stream Silver.
    Mods: Modified Öhlins fork from mille R, EBC brake discs, HEL front brakelines, Carbon RS 250 front fender, Wiring mod for charging. Engine related:05 map, Iridium plugs, tuneboy, derestriced intake, old mille airboot, staintunes exhaust. Lambda bung hardbrazed in the "breadbox". Öhlins mille R rear shock with 110N/mm spring and the integrated hydraulic preload adjuster. LED Voltmeter installed inside the dash for monitoring charging. Duc 999 radial m/c for brake and clutch. EBC 320mm brake discs
    NWS hugger. Equipment: Famsa tankbag,
    CBR 600 -07 MOSFET R&R FH008EE providing stable 14.4 - 14.5 V (with my wiring mod). Daytona heated grips with mccoi pwm controller and automatic chain oiler

apriliaforum expert
    London, (England) 213miles NNW Paris (France)

Quote Originally Posted by maddad View Post
    Not until they leak/ are not the standard ones a double lipped seal? ...
    Ohlins are single lip and gsxr seals are double lip. The SKF is a double lip.

The other thing to note is, we use SKF seals in very hot electric motors they have been designed for high temp applications for a long time now.
    A parting Glass.