Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: Soupy's aprilia sl750 shiver lowering kit lowering link

apriliaforum prov-nov
    I have covered around 500 miles since fitting with no issues whatsoever. I have also just fitted a screen from a company in america called gustaffsons and the bike is now the perfect bike for me .

Done here.

Tip - use good jack or your bike might fall and possibly cause bodily injury to you or the machine. Just saying.

Well, as it sits right now, with my modified sit and lowering link, at .......... 32" at the lowest point of the seat.

Pix to follow.

Just got mine in the post today - looking forward to your pics 25PSi before I install.

PS for the Aussies, ordered 18/5/11 afternoon delivered to Syd 27/5/11 not too bad I would say.

i know i should wait... but
    My Italian garage:
    2011 RS125 - Not a RSV4.
    2009 Shiver 'Factory APRC' - OEM Screen, CF panels/fender/belly pan/key hole & radiator side covers, DNA air filter, PC Flo o-filter, Pazzo levers, Akra slip-ons, LV decat, NGK Iridium, 16/45 Afam/Superlite sprocs, EK X-ring gold, Skidmarx hugger, Evotech tail tidy, LSL fatbar & sliders, HLD seat cover, clear clutch cover & protector, Samco hoses, Matris adjustable cartridge & mono, Barracuda LEDs, MFW Vario pegs, Fatduc O2 adjuster, brake lever guard, Rosso II, LighTech reservoir and oil caps, LED tail bulbs, PIAA H7 Xtreme white bulbs, Braking SK2 rotors.
    2008 Cagiva Mito 125 - Not a Ducati.

OK lets try this.

Tools you are going to need:

Support your bike using this type of jack under the engine with a piece of wood not to damage things.
    Crank it up nice and high but not overly so.

Undo the nut and back out the bolt. Use some metal rod and mallet if needed.

This is what you get out:

NOTE: Bike might jerk when you get that bolt out. Be prepared and do not get too scared if/when it does it. If supported properly its no worries. Have someone hold it if you are concerned.

Grab new link, lift the shock out of its position and slide the link in there with lower part of the Y down and its "Fat Belly" pointing towards front. Slide original bolt back in and tighten it well.

NOTE: if you can not simply lift shock out of its position you need to play with the jack to adjust its height such way that you can. Do not force things.

Place the shock end in between top part of the link's Y. It will probably NOT align its O eye properly between 2 holes of the link. Slowly and carefully play with the jack to make it happen. It will but might take a few tries. Do not rush and force things.

Once aligned slide NEW supplied bolt in and tighten the shit out of it.

Lower the bike, do not forget to have side stand out.

This is what you get:

Ohh yeah, almost forgot. Now seat height at the lowest point is 32". Seems to me that official # of 31.8" is "Slightly" off.

I am off now to test new setup, break in new Michelins and mess around with MemJet.

Cheers m8s!

Thanks for posting 25PSi -

did you lower the front at all? If so can you provide any further pointers?

If not, how has it affected the handling if at all?

My front was lowered b4. 2.5-3 rings. I did not touch it.

Quote Originally Posted by 25PSi View Post
    My front was lowered b4. 2.5-3 rings. I did not touch it.
    if that's the case, the steering/handling should be back to std now. the lower rear has even out the sharper steering before. a pic which shows the complete bike will be interesting to see...
    My Italian garage:
    2011 RS125 - Not a RSV4.
    2009 Shiver 'Factory APRC' - OEM Screen, CF panels/fender/belly pan/key hole & radiator side covers, DNA air filter, PC Flo o-filter, Pazzo levers, Akra slip-ons, LV decat, NGK Iridium, 16/45 Afam/Superlite sprocs, EK X-ring gold, Skidmarx hugger, Evotech tail tidy, LSL fatbar & sliders, HLD seat cover, clear clutch cover & protector, Samco hoses, Matris adjustable cartridge & mono, Barracuda LEDs, MFW Vario pegs, Fatduc O2 adjuster, brake lever guard, Rosso II, LighTech reservoir and oil caps, LED tail bulbs, PIAA H7 Xtreme white bulbs, Braking SK2 rotors.

What pic you want buddy? Bike looks indistinguishable from bone stock to me.

Quote Originally Posted by 25PSi View Post
    What pic you want buddy? Bike looks indistinguishable from bone stock to me.
    ok perhaps there is no noticeable difference in appearence then. in std form, shiver looks a little high... i was just wondering if it looks noticeably lower now.
    My Italian garage:
    2011 RS125 - Not a RSV4.

It aint. LOL Its still at the skyscraper high (To me anyhow) 32" tall LOL

I've seen other posts about lowering the front and seen/heard people refer to lowering the front by a number of "rings" the only rings I can see though are all about 2mm apart - surely lowering the front by 4-6 mm is not enough. Anyone able to clarify for me?

Thanks
    Robbie

The number of rings showing above the top of the fork clamps is a factor that will affect the steering characteristics of your bike. In standard form, with standard rear shock and seat height, Shiver owners have reported their bikes being delivered with either no rings or as many as 2 rings showing above the clamp. Many owners also report more responsive 'turn-in' when cornering with 2 or more rings showing. I think one owner preferred as many as 5 rings showing. Personally I have 3 rings showing on my bike and am happy with this setting.

However, it makes sense to me that if you decrease the seat height by lowering the rear shock set-up, the front should also be lowered to some degree. However, as I have not lowered the seat height on my own bike I am loathe to offer specific advice about how many fork rings showing would suit another rider. Maybe someone else can help here, but experimentation and testing would be what I'd try.
    S

'Its a fine, fine line between pleasure and pain.' Chrissie Amphlett (RIP)

Thanks Shekel, I suppose what I'm really asking is what rings are you referring to?

The only rings I can see would mean that lowering it two rings would be no more that the height of this text (or around 1/2 a centimetre) does this sort of minor adjustment really have a noticable effect on handling?

Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast