Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: 1st REAL Track Day Bike Project

1st REAL Track Day Bike Project

After a stupid "should've known better" roockie mistake (after all I am rookie) this happened:
    Attached Images Attached Images   
    Don't make excuses, Make it happen
    08 RSV 1000R
    07 MV Agusta SENNA (261/300)
    04 Ducati 749S (Track Project)
    Dreaming of a F3

Ya. That's not too bad. What happened?
    Ron
    MSgt USMC (Retired!)
    Semper Fi!
    WERA # 145
    IBA #38812

RST Futura
    Colin Edwards RSV R Mille #066 (Sold now. Sigh...)
    2007.5 Tuono

For custom paint work, check out http://www.trading-paint.com

I LOVED this bike. I felt so comfortable on it that I could ride it "with my eyes closed" (not really). It broke my heart to crash it.
    I loved it so much I have been debating with myself if I should buy a Left-Over 09 RSVR or if I should move on to the new hotness and get a 2010 RSV4 or the 2011 RSV4 with all the electronics "stuff" I still don’t know which route to go.

Any ways:

I've decided that I will take this opportunity to turn this bike into a track bike. Now I am NOT going to turning it into a race bike, just a bike I can play and continue to learn on.
    I really know very little to nothing about Mechanics so it will be a learning process, I am excited about that. I have a few buddies who have engineer degrees and love motorcycles another who is an auto mechanic and has been riding longer than I have been a live, and they have offered to help as it will be a fun project for all of us... me? well I am a Marine I just blow SHHHT up and destroy things, as you can see.

Since I don't know what I am going to encounter or really what parts I will need to buy (stock vs aftermarket) I will need some help. I will be looking at the Parts for Sale section a lot, so if you have a RSVR and you are parting out I might need to open an account with you.
    If any of you guys can give me some pointers and help me with some problem solving I would really appreciate it.

I will post pictures and progress as I go along.
    I will be starting on it in the next few weeks, didn't work on over the winter as the USMC decided I needed to go on a 6th deployment since I join back in Sep 13th of 2001.

CHEERS
    08 RSV 1000R
    Dreaming of a F3

Quote Originally Posted by Spartukus View Post
    After a stupid "should've known better" roockie mistake (after all I am rookie) this happened:
    Sorry to hear about the crash... sounds like YOU are ok and that's the important bit.... Hell - most of that is cosmetic/easy to fix stuff.

IMO Aprilias crash very well given their weight...

Looks like the garages at Thunderbolt... what track day event was that?

Sorry to hear about your off...glad you are ok. Doesn't look like it will be that much to turn it into a track bike.

could have been a lot worse, glad you seem ok. so how did you end up getting so much gravel rash on her? what went wrong?

Seeing shots like this give me chills knowing I'm doing track days with regular street fairings on- glad to know you're alright and more so tackling tracking it head on and not getting turned away from it.

apriliaforum expert MotoMatthew's Avatar
    Sorry about the crash. Glad you are ok. At least now you have a fun project, and a track bike.

I have some stock handlebars in my spares kit I'm about to post up for sale. PM me if you are interested btw.
    AFM #444
    2004 Aprilia RSVR 1000 Factory Race Bike
    MotoGloss / Sharkskinz / Cycle Gear / Bridgestone / ForTheTrack / RSpeed / Catalyst Reaction

2007 MV Agusta F4 1000R - Starbucks Poser
    2008 Aprilia RXV 4.5 - Dirtbike / SF Trouble Maker
    2009 Ninja 250 - Only way to keep my license on the street

What went wrong? Where to I begin?

1. My track bike was at a friend’s house in Hartford CT I was in Virginia Beach the track was in NJ. I decided to take my road bike on the track (I had done it before)

2. I was taking it easy (I ride intermedian so it is relative) since I was on my road bike. I started playing with the lines.

3. 2nd or 3rd session I am off the line at turn 5. I was all alone, going so slow I waived at my wife before going into the turn. Being off line meant that the line I was on was COLD, my tire was cold. It turns out that Turn 5 goes off camber.

4. And the fatal mistake I had BRAND NEW Dunlop RoadSmart (sport touring tires, YEAH I am an idiot )

Next thing you know I hear metal dragging on the deck and I start to slide. I low sided it. I thought I was going to "run" into the bike as the dust started clouding up on me. Then I saw the bike fly into the air and I could think of is that it was going to land on me. It landed nose first, that is why I am concerned about frame, fork damage.

IDIOT

Several people had crashed there earlier, and I know turn 5 is a place a lot of “track day goers” crash at. I crashed and knew I simply made a mistake. Someone crashed after me and like the others before me he said “there is oil on the track” there was no oil out there, we all made a mistake .
    I was not hurt at all, just short on a road bike so now I am debating if to get a left over 09 RSVR, get a left over RSV4R or get a 2011 RSV4 with all the electronic stuff so that I can ride on the streets.
    08 RSV 1000R
    Dreaming of a F3

I've seen worse than that before. A little bit of bondo duct tape and patience....voila!

J/K man on the serious side your bike is saveable brother. You may have to take a $4K hit though. Or a $250 one depending on your insurance deductable.

My R6 looked just like that once, o_O

She was fixed and I rode her hard again!

The forks on these bikes are delicate.

You need to do a shakedown ASAP. (loosen the triples and makes sure everything isn't twisted up). Probably too late to help at this point.

You should get the forks to get looked at by a frame guy (inner and outer tubes). Everytime mine has gone for a little nose dive they have been bent.
    AFM #444
    MotoGloss / Sharkskinz / Cycle Gear / Bridgestone / ForTheTrack / RSpeed / Catalyst Reaction

Quote Originally Posted by hank View Post
    Sorry to hear about the crash... sounds like YOU are ok and that's the important bit.... Hell - most of that is cosmetic/easy to fix stuff.

IMO Aprilias crash very well given their weight...

Looks like the garages at Thunderbolt... what track day event was that?
    You think so? I've always had something bent frame/forks/swingarm even from minor offs at the track.
    AFM #444

Quote Originally Posted by SPEKTRE76 View Post
    I've seen worse than that before. A little bit of bondo duct tape and patience....voila!

J/K man on the serious side your bike is saveable brother. You may have to take a $4K hit though. Or a $250 one depending on your insurance deductable.

My R6 looked just like that once, o_O

She was fixed and I rode her hard again!
    It was at the track, no insurance claim
    Quote Originally Posted by MotoMatthew View Post
    The forks on these bikes are delicate.

You need to do a shakedown ASAP. (loosen the triples and makes sure everything isn't twisted up). Probably too late to help at this point.

You should get the forks to get looked at by a frame guy (inner and outer tubes). Everytime mine has gone for a little nose dive they have been bent.
    that is a concern of mine. If the Frame, fork, and other vital parts are good to go. She will be coming back a live.
    08 RSV 1000R
    Dreaming of a F3

Good luck getting her back together. Take the time to check everything and get to know her better. The important thing is that you are ok of course, AND that you know exactly what happends. Running ST tires on track is no big deal. I have done it on more than a couple occasions with very nice results.

BTW. I am a retired MSgt, so Semper Fi my brother.
    Ron
    MSgt USMC (Retired!)
    Semper Fi!
    WERA # 145
    IBA #38812

RST Futura
    Colin Edwards RSV R Mille #066 (Sold now. Sigh...)
    2007.5 Tuono

For custom paint work, check out http://www.trading-paint.com

I finally got around to get it started.
    I can't believe how much the front assembly weighs with the lights and everything. The muffler weighs a lot as well!

We took off most of the plastics. There were so many little screws and attachments it was crazy.
    There are so many wires and electrical "stuff" that I don't know what I need and what I don't need any more.

one thing I do know. I can't turn the bike on using the key as that mechanism is broken. I want to turn it into a press button, no key, type of thing. How difficult would that be?
    Better yet.... does any one know how to do it and can explain it to me?
    08 RSV 1000R
    Dreaming of a F3

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast