Thread: ohlins fork seals for RSV old

apriliaforum newb

ohlins fork seals for RSV old

Hi everyone!
    I'm sorry this is my first message and I haven't yet written a proper presentation, I'll definitely do so ASAP in the proper section (if there is one).

Anyway, I'm from Italy and I've just bought a 2001 RSV mille R, which has been stripped down to frame and motor and is now undergoing repair in my garage... not quite a project, but definitely lots of work all the same

I'd like to ask you all a techical question that I haven't been able to solve after searching the various forums.

I have to change the fork seals, but I can't work out what are good alternatives to the original 75 euro Ohlins kit (more or less 90$!!).

What I know:
    FOR RADIAL OHLINS 43 FORK (2003 RSV R, and RSV Factory)
    - on the radial fork (2003 and later) one can use Suzuki GSX-R 1000 m.y. 2004 seals, they're slightly shorter but should be better since they have a double tension system, whilst the original Ohlins only have one cable and are less durable.
    - the non-original NOK seals are the FSM-075, coded BR5566E
    - one can also use the ohlins Ducati 999 kit
    - or the ohlins 2006 Yamaha R1 L.E. kit

What I don't know:
    are the seals from the old fork (axial calipers) the same as the ones for the new fork?
    so, are all the aforementioned alternatives OK for ALL OHLINS 43 FORK systems? Both RSV Factory and the old RSV R?

The ideal thing would be to know the exact measurements (metric if possible, but anything will do) of the seals to confront them with the various alternatives, both for the old and for the new fork.

If not, if anyone knows if the old and new forks are the same, it should be easy to find the specs online or in the forum.

Thanks for the help!

You should be able to find genuine Öhlins seals cheaper.
    Here is one in Germany who sells them for 32€ per pair. http://www.mcet.de/Eshop/product_inf...FGRT-2008.html
    2001 RST Futura in stream Silver.
    Mods: Modified Öhlins fork from mille R, EBC brake discs, HEL front brakelines, Carbon RS 250 front fender, Wiring mod for charging. Engine related:05 map, Iridium plugs, tuneboy, derestriced intake, old mille airboot, staintunes exhaust. Lambda bung hardbrazed in the "breadbox". Öhlins mille R rear shock with 110N/mm spring and the integrated hydraulic preload adjuster. LED Voltmeter installed inside the dash for monitoring charging. Duc 999 radial m/c for brake and clutch. EBC 320mm brake discs
    NWS hugger. Equipment: Famsa tankbag,
    CBR 600 -07 MOSFET R&R FH008EE providing stable 14.4 - 14.5 V (with my wiring mod). Daytona heated grips with mccoi pwm controller and automatic chain oiler

Very good question...got to do the forks soon and would love to hear of the cheapest and greatest replacement anybody has found.

apriliaforum newb
    ok as far as I have figured out, all Ohlins 43mm R&T forks use the same seals.

i figured it out by checking all the various R&T 43mm manuals, and they all have the same Ohlins seals, numbered 04730-01

This means that the alternatives are actually OK for all Ohlins forks, both on the R and on the Factory.

I'm still interested in knowing if there are other alternatives.

ps: thanks for the tip deefred, that's far less than what I'd spend here, but I still would prefer to find some alternative that lasts a little longer without breaking than the original Ohlins seal.

I´m on my third season now with the Öhlins seals without leaks.
    I use race-tech grease to lubricate the seals and that seems to help a lot. [ame="http://www.amazon.com/Race-Tech-Ultra-Slick-Grease/dp/B0022ZTXHC"]Amazon.com: Race Tech Ultra Slick Grease - 1 Ounce/--: Automotive@@AMEPARAM@@http://ecx.images-amazon.com/images/I/41davGXt5OL.@@AMEPARAM@@41davGXt5OL[/ame]
    Öhlins own grease is shit expensive
    Last edited by deefred; 03-26-2011 at 03:53 AM.
    2001 RST Futura in stream Silver.
    Mods: Modified Öhlins fork from mille R, EBC brake discs, HEL front brakelines, Carbon RS 250 front fender, Wiring mod for charging. Engine related:05 map, Iridium plugs, tuneboy, derestriced intake, old mille airboot, staintunes exhaust. Lambda bung hardbrazed in the "breadbox". Öhlins mille R rear shock with 110N/mm spring and the integrated hydraulic preload adjuster. LED Voltmeter installed inside the dash for monitoring charging. Duc 999 radial m/c for brake and clutch. EBC 320mm brake discs
    NWS hugger. Equipment: Famsa tankbag,
    CBR 600 -07 MOSFET R&R FH008EE providing stable 14.4 - 14.5 V (with my wiring mod). Daytona heated grips with mccoi pwm controller and automatic chain oiler

All good advise. I got suzuki seals over a year ago with no issues. easy enough to change with a little mechanical smarts.
    " I feel sorry for those who don't drink,
    when they wake up in the morning that's the best they're going to feel all day." -Frank Sinatra

Quote Originally Posted by deefred View Post
    I use race-tech grease to lubricate
    I use........
    Attached Images Attached Images  
    when they wake up in the morning that's the best they're going to feel all day." -Frank Sinatra

apriliaforum expert
    Quote Originally Posted by deefred View Post
    I´m on my third season now with the Öhlins seals without leaks.
    I use race-tech grease to lubricate the seals and that seems to help a lot. Amazon.com: Race Tech Ultra Slick Grease - 1 Ounce/--: Automotive
    Öhlins own grease is shit expensive

Your experience is abnormal. I've seen ohlins with leaky fork seals sitting on the dealer's floor. The gsxr seals fit fine, and work better.

apriliaforum newb
    about the suzuki seals:

I saw on the Ohlins schematics that the fork has a metal o-ring that should keep the seal in place... is that right? if the suzuki seals are shorter (about 1,5mm I think) shouldn't they move up and down?

I don't remeber them being shorter, its been about a year since i did mine. I remember they looked different, but size- I'm pretty sure was the same.