Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Race competitive?

Ask 'Steve P', on this board, what a thoughtfully prepared, decade old Mille will do, in the hands of a skilled and talented racer, against a multi-time ASRA national champion on a thermo nuclear superbike kitted KTM RC8. Or, just have a look at the CCS MidWest Expert Supertwins race results.

At all but the top-of-the-food-chain levels of club racing, it's more about the rider than the bike. Yes, the latest and greatest is faster, lighter, more powerful. And probably easier to go fast on. But, it's a matter of degree, and the RSV2s aren't that far behind.
    Todd Murray
    CCS MidWest #99

PS I Love You Wedding Photo Storybooks / Moto Union - Ducati Milwaukee / Bell Helmets / Motorex

"Humility, in our sport, starts at the second step of the GP podium and works its way down. One hero at a time." - Peter Egan

I've seen Murf and Steve in action (as in lapped) and can say they have no problems in the competitive department. I'll race mine until I burn it to the gound, then maybe I'll move up to a 2nd gen.
    2003 RSVmille R
    2004 Tuono Racing

apriliaforum Member
    Since this discussion is back alive I'll chime in.

I've just bought a 2004 model from a fellow racer (and forum member jjb) and taken it to my first race on it, which happened to be at Miller on the full course at the beginning of the month.

Now to qualify this I'm coming off of a 1997 Ducati 748, so there is a major technological jump between my old bike and the Ape, but I can say that in practice here in Colorado, on worn out tires and on a day of testing where I wasn't pushing THAT hard I managed to make laps that were less than 1/2 second off of my personal best. I did VERY well in the relay endurance race on the Aprilia posting the 4th fastest lap time in the event and pushing my team to a 2nd place finish overall (mind you this in on the FULL Course, not exactly a 'small technical' track).

During the sprint races we experienced some teething pains by way of a shredded tire (bad choice on my part) and a worn out clutch (part of buying a used racebike I guess), so I wasn't able to replicate my endurance performance, but I'm VERY pleased with the bike.

By way of comparison I've ridden a 1098 R on the racetrack, and will say that without a doubt it's considerably faster than the Aprilia in the Open twins world, but if I had chosen to do the Open twins race at miller, instead of Formula 5 (they grid at the same time) I would have gotten 3rd place in that race on the ape against some serious Open Twins machinery. The Aprilia, for me, is considerably easier to ride than the 1098R. The bike appreciates lean angle and doesn't seem to punish small mistakes in the same way the big duc does.

I'm really looking forward to putting in a full season on it and can't wait for racing in 2012.

Scott

Quote Originally Posted by jhawkmille View Post
    I've seen Murf and Steve in action (as in lapped) and can say they have no problems in the competitive department.
    Thanks man! I saw ya' at Blackhawk the last race weekend. Lookin' good! Congratulations on a succsesful season!
    Todd Murray
    CCS MidWest #99

PS I Love You Wedding Photo Storybooks / Moto Union - Ducati Milwaukee / Bell Helmets / Motorex

"Humility, in our sport, starts at the second step of the GP podium and works its way down. One hero at a time." - Peter Egan

Quote Originally Posted by rybo View Post
    Since this discussion is back alive I'll chime in.

I've just bought a 2004 model from a fellow racer (and forum member jjb) and taken it to my first race on it, which happened to be at Miller on the full course at the beginning of the month.

Now to qualify this I'm coming off of a 1997 Ducati 748, so there is a major technological jump between my old bike and the Ape, but I can say that in practice here in Colorado, on worn out tires and on a day of testing where I wasn't pushing THAT hard I managed to make laps that were less than 1/2 second off of my personal best. I did VERY well in the relay endurance race on the Aprilia posting the 4th fastest lap time in the event and pushing my team to a 2nd place finish overall (mind you this in on the FULL Course, not exactly a 'small technical' track).

During the sprint races we experienced some teething pains by way of a shredded tire (bad choice on my part) and a worn out clutch (part of buying a used racebike I guess), so I wasn't able to replicate my endurance performance, but I'm VERY pleased with the bike.

By way of comparison I've ridden a 1098 R on the racetrack, and will say that without a doubt it's considerably faster than the Aprilia in the Open twins world, but if I had chosen to do the Open twins race at miller, instead of Formula 5 (they grid at the same time) I would have gotten 3rd place in that race on the ape against some serious Open Twins machinery. The Aprilia, for me, is considerably easier to ride than the 1098R. The bike appreciates lean angle and doesn't seem to punish small mistakes in the same way the big duc does.

I'm really looking forward to putting in a full season on it and can't wait for racing in 2012.

Scott
    Scott, I know you. I was with Mike Carr when we came out to HPR to ride with you guys and JD this past summer. I was on the 04 ZX636.

-Ryan

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12