Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Race competitive?

Race competitive?

Those of you that race your RSV2, what classes do you race in, and how do you feel the bike performs compared to newer platforms?

I'm hitting the track a lot this year, and I'm thinking about potentially prepping for entry racing next season. I love my 07 RSV, but I'm torn on using it or just getting a more generic R6 or something and using that instead. My biggest fears are that in open or super twins, it's just not going to compete with the newer platforms, and in the (likely) event of an eventual get-off, repair and replacement would be more costly and take longer than with something more generic. I don't want to worry about binning it, and because of that be scared to push it and improve myself.

I realize that at the lower levels it's way more about the rider than the bike, and I'm not expecting to be competitive immediately, but I'm really just looking for some experienced voices on how it is using an admittedly older platform to race on.

Thanks in advance!

apriliaforum Junkie
    Although I have not had that much experience since I used two versions (1000 and 1060 cc) and I raced on 4 different tracks without having much practice time (and with vastly different shocks), I feel that overall, the bike is competitive. But it will depend on the track, on the category and on you. I’ll give it a go if I were you. Then decide based on your performance. Super twins is tough… lots of 1100 and 1200 cc Ducs out there that seem to be more agile.

apriliaforum expert MotoMatthew's Avatar
    Coming from someone that has crashed my race RSV a few times...finding parts in the paddock is nearly impossible. You need to carry a ton of spares.

The bike is competitve in 750 classes (I can run down a class in the AFM bc its a twin) and is much easier to launch than a comparable I4.

I'm down on hp like 40-60 at the wheel compared to some bikes in Open Twins. You can do whatever you want to your bike in that class basically, and a built 1198 just blows the doors off me and is more nimble on top of that.

That being said, I'm currently starting plans to build a spare motor I have with a 1060 kit, lighter flywheel, etc. so that I'll be more competitve in Open Twins. Its a very fun class and far less asshats out on the grid than any 600 race.

No racebike is going to have a high resale value if you are actually racing it. Chances are it'll go down a few times, get run hard, etc.

I was always told race what you love...so I'm doing that. But it is expensive to fix up a binned Italian bike.

Good thing is that you don't have to change many components to make the rsv a good race bike suspension wise, especially if you have the factory model.
    AFM #444
    2004 Aprilia RSVR 1000 Factory Race Bike
    MotoGloss / Sharkskinz / Cycle Gear / Bridgestone / ForTheTrack / RSpeed / Catalyst Reaction

2007 MV Agusta F4 1000R - Starbucks Poser
    2008 Aprilia RXV 4.5 - Dirtbike / SF Trouble Maker
    2009 Ninja 250 - Only way to keep my license on the street

Oh one more thing...if I completely bin the RSV at any point beyond repair I'm going to buy a built SV650. Much cheaper platform to race and that class is very fun and far less dependant on how much money you are willing to throw at the bike.
    AFM #444
    MotoGloss / Sharkskinz / Cycle Gear / Bridgestone / ForTheTrack / RSpeed / Catalyst Reaction

Quote Originally Posted by MotoMatthew View Post
    Coming from someone that has crashed my race RSV a few times...finding parts in the paddock is nearly impossible. You need to carry a ton of spares.
    That's one of the things I was concerned about.

The bike is competitve in 750 classes (I can run down a class in the AFM bc its a twin) and is much easier to launch than a comparable I4.

I'm down on hp like 40-60 at the wheel compared to some bikes in Open Twins. You can do whatever you want to your bike in that class basically, and a built 1198 just blows the doors off me and is more nimble on top of that.

That being said, I'm currently starting plans to build a spare motor I have with a 1060 kit, lighter flywheel, etc. so that I'll be more competitve in Open Twins. Its a very fun class and far less asshats out on the grid than any 600 race.
    I was thinking the same thing. Going up against the 1098/1198/RC8 wouldn't be very competitive at all, especially as a new racer.

No racebike is going to have a high resale value if you are actually racing it. Chances are it'll go down a few times, get run hard, etc.

I was always told race what you love...so I'm doing that. But it is expensive to fix up a binned Italian bike.

Good thing is that you don't have to change many components to make the rsv a good race bike suspension wise, especially if you have the factory model.
    I'm not really worried about the resale, specifically because I know it'll go down and get run hard. It was more just a matter of what is it capable of. It handles like a dream right now, but I've got the suspension set up for fairly "spirited" street riding, and I know the track will be much different. I've done a few track days already, as well as the local ART, all on the RSV and I'm just tossing the idea around of kicking it up a notch.

Thanks a ton for the advice already given! You guys are what make this forum so awesome.

my advice is just race what you got, especialyl for now. If you've only done a few track days the bike is still far faster than you are, no offense. Just ride the hell out of it, get as much seat time as possible and have fun. After you race a season or two you'll know what you want to keep racing or change to.
    AFM #444

my advice is just race what you got, especialyl for now. If you've only done a few track days the bike is still far faster than you are, no offense. Just ride the hell out of it, get as much seat time as possible and have fun. After you race a season or two you'll know what you want to keep racing or change to.
    No offense taken at all. I'm fully aware that the bike is WAY faster than I am right now, and probably the future, too.

I'll take what you've said to heart. Race what I've got now, and later when I decide the direction I want to go, I'll be in a better position to make informed decisions on what I want.

Thanks again!

apriliaforum Junkie
    It is not as expensive any more…. I’m finding (so far) lots of used parts. This also allows me to stack up parts that I bring to the track, since it’s true not many race aprilias.

But if yours is a 1000 cc, it will be quite expensive to upgrade it to a 1060. Mine is an “R” (not a factory), so the upgrade was pricy: engine upgrade + full race exhaust + forged wheels + superbike Öhlins + other stuff (such as upgraded brake pump, quick throttle, slipper clutch, power commander, quick shifter…) = mucho dinero. Luckily for me, mine was already prepared when I bought it, and I only paid $6,000 for it. Otherwise I don’t think is worth it.
    On a final note, I will probably sell it this autumn including all the parts I accumulated during the last two years. It will go for what I paid for it (+ all the additional goodies).

So, finally, yes, race what you have and you will have lots of fun with it!

thread jack: what quick shifter are you using? GP shift?
    AFM #444

apriliaforum Junkie
    thread jack: what quick shifter are you using? GP shift?
    No, regular, and the foot pegs are after market.

what track are you riding at? I did well on my rsvr, but I was racing it at Loudon, which is a tight 1.6 mile track with a fairly short front straight.

This would be at Miller in Utah. There are a few different track configurations, so the setup would change from one session to the next.

race it.

For sure race that bike if you are the least inclined. I raced one in 2005 and had a blast. It's a really capable racebike with almost no buildup. Get someone to help you find race settings front and rear, get some bodywork, sticky tires and off you go. The chassis, brakes and motor make a more than capable package - especially in the novice ranks. Remember our friends here at AF1 since they have all the parts you'll need plus years of experience racing these bikes. Even in the expert ranks, Jon and Ted both hauled ass on these bikes, plus Henry Wiles, Ty Howard and Ronnie Hay - all really fast CMRA and AMA racers. Keep us posted.

apriliaforum Member
    Dynojet quickshifter works very well in conjunction with their Power Commander. And at most tracks, new tires will make you competitive with most 750's, especially shorter track configurations. In the Midwest, the only long track we run on is Road America, and I can run with all but the most expertly ridden 750's there. And, yes, a shameless plug here. PLEASE take a good race/rider school. Track days are one thing. Knowing the ins and outs of racing and track etiquette is a whole different story. And don't be afraid to ask questions of the experienced riders around you in the paddock. Unless hopelessly tracking down a gremlin in our own bikes, we are glad to answer questions.
    Most of us remember what it was like when we were new guys.

Doc Stein
    CCS and ASRA #22
    Learning Curves Roadrace School Instructor

apriliaforum Junkie
    Quote Originally Posted by forum View Post
    Those of you that race your RSV2, what classes do you race in, and how do you feel the bike performs compared to newer platforms?

I'm hitting the track a lot this year, and I'm thinking about potentially prepping for entry racing next season. I love my 07 RSV, but I'm torn on using it or just getting a more generic R6 or something and using that instead. My biggest fears are that in open or super twins, it's just not going to compete with the newer platforms, and in the (likely) event of an eventual get-off, repair and replacement would be more costly and take longer than with something more generic. I don't want to worry about binning it, and because of that be scared to push it and improve myself.

I realize that at the lower levels it's way more about the rider than the bike, and I'm not expecting to be competitive immediately, but I'm really just looking for some experienced voices on how it is using an admittedly older platform to race on.

Thanks in advance!
    On a technical track with not too long straits, a nicely set-up 1060 with some extra racing components, and when it works: yes, it is competitive. And it is a beautiful bike to race (even though it’s a bit heavy).
    That being said, racing this bike is like buying a house: location is everything. What I mean by this is the following: who will fix your bike when a problem pups out at the track? And problems do occur.
    I would consider a 600 and keep your RSV2 for the street. That’s what I’m planning to do (or I'll sell it to Val for $6,000 or for $7,000 the bike+OZ, + all other aprilia stuff I have).

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast