Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: RS250 Tuning

apriliaforum Member OCRSVfactory's Avatar
    My first bike I put one on was my 888, HUGE improvement! I have one on everything but the Diana, can't beat twin shoe Ducati brakes!!! Ha HA
    Experience is what you get when you don't get what you want.
    If your talking behind my back, your in a perfect position to kiss my ASS!

2004 RSV Factory track bike
    2004 RSV Factory
    2000 RS 250
    1997 Ducati 900SS
    1961 Ducati Diana
    1981 MHR Ducati
    1979 RD400 Daytona Special

I plan on doing a complete rebuild once Morepower gets the cranks going. For now I am going to build the top end and do the billet heads, PVs, any suggestions on heads and inserts?

2004 RSV Factory
    2000 RS 250
    1997 Ducati 900SS
    1961 Ducati Diana
    1981 MHR Ducati

Can't beat these for value, and I will be able to give you a report on performance when my valves arrive. I have the TZ02 inserts...

http://www.vinceracing.tk/
    I've got a fever and the only prescription is, "More cow bell"

Warming the world 2 strokes at a time.

What did you pay and do I have to send my heads?

2004 RSV Factory
    2000 RS 250
    1997 Ducati 900SS
    1961 Ducati Diana
    1981 MHR Ducati

apriliaforum Junkie
    Vince's heads are around 350 Euro (from memory) if you send your own heads. He accepts Suzuki heads only, I believe as the large Aprilia boss interferes with his methods and can cause cracking (again, from memory).

Vince does one run of heads per year with his last orders accepted in around December.

I'd contact him for an approximate delivery date ASAP as he can let you know where you'd be in the queue.

Linz
    2002 BMW R1150RT (long trip comfort)
    2006 Triumph Daytona 955i (gentleman's superbike)
    1998 Aprilia RS 250 (money vortex) GONE
    1996 Laverda 668 Formula (progettato dall'uomo pazzo) GONE

Thanks will do...

2004 RSV Factory
    2000 RS 250
    1997 Ducati 900SS
    1961 Ducati Diana
    1981 MHR Ducati

Now there is a problem with tuning.. Engine or Chassis? But how much of it is rider?
    Now slower guys in the novice group will be faster with all engine mods but may not go any quicker with chassis mods.. Brakes may make a difference to the novice but tyres and suspension may not make any real difference.

Slow guys are throttle twisters who basically drag race on the straights but struggle through corners and not because of the bike but experience on track and being able to push a bike harder.

Inters group riders who have been riding a while on track get about equal benefit from both engine and chassis mod but still cannot make full use of it all. They push a bike hard enough to feel a difference and improve their lap times with chassis mods but may not know how to make changes to improve the bike more without help.

Fast group guys (well the fastest of the fast group) can push a bike hard enough to need to make chassis changes and will get more benefit overall from chassis mods and then use the extra power to get more speed onto the straights out of the corners.

So to be honest the biggest tuning aid is rider training at one of the good race schools. Like California Superbike School or the Kevin Schwantz school in the USA.

My biggest bike changes are to the chassis and weight saving over power gains. Hoping to get the bike down to about 110Kg and have already done the suspension.

I am having Ron at Fahron do my engine because I am planning to do some racing with the bike at some point and the motor needed work after the power valve crapped its self and needed repairing. So as I am almost family he has done an amazing deal on O ring heads with reshaped combustion chamber reshape. Plus one of his race tuned 300cc kits.

I understand what you are saying, I have been off the track for 6 years, and am signed up for Cal Super School later this month. Being the owner of a business that requires me to work on cars (right hand drive conversions) I cannot afford to wad myself up. I do however want the most from my bike as I do not want that to be an issue if I am feeling good on a track day, and being a gear head want the most reliable horsepower I can get from my bike. There is a reason I am not tracking my RSV, I will go way faster than I want and I am more interested in corner speed than top speed. The chassis is sorted, Penske triple and revalved front, the biggest factor with the bike is the carbon based lump pushing it around if lap times are your indicator.

2004 RSV Factory
    2000 RS 250
    1997 Ducati 900SS
    1961 Ducati Diana
    1981 MHR Ducati

Slower riders will always look to engine mods/more power in the hope of going quicker around a circuit.Reason being,that they have reached their personal limit.This is largely controlled by a natural,self preservation instinct...basically they are scared.Fear is holding them back.So they seek to increase their speed when it's safer to do so.Bolt upright accellerating down the straight.

Fast riders have a higher threshold of self preservation[bigger balls]and will always be able to use the maximum power available to them.They get on the gas early and hard and are always TRACTION LIMITED,so they aren't searching for more power,but more grip provided by the tyres and the suspensions effect of providing more grip.

Not sure how much I agree with the bigger balls theory...LOL.. I dont think I am that quick as I leave a good margin of error on track and feel I am riding well within my limits yet last year while I was helping a friend and a guy's son at the local track I was able to lap my friend 4 times and the kid twice in a 20 minute session. I never feel I am pushing hard yet they both felt they were on their limits. I think it is more about getting used to the track, bike and making it all second nature. I still feel I am keeping the same margin of error as the guys who were slower than me. I think the level of self preservation is the same. It is just how we adjust and relax when on track. Making the laps feel slower can give better laptimes. Keith Code was right about having only so much attention and how we spend it.. The more we do the less we spend on parts of our riding that become second nature. This allows us to use more if it on other things so we then can spend more on feel and learning more about the bike.
    More power is good... But having a bike that is a complete package is more important is it is greater than the sum of all the parts where bike modification is concerned.

apriliaforum expert
    I have yet to see a rider go slower around a track with less mid range . Well ridden ,well tuned RS 250 will only get passed at the end of the straight by a 600. No matter as first tight turn you can pass again, easy with 65HP and bolt on bits.
    If jesus had ridden,he would have rode a two stroke

I like your avatar.It looks like Anthony West's 250 KTM.

As a matter of fact,KTM had recently offered those bikes for sale to the public.Kallio,Ayoama,etc..

Yes.That's the point I was trying to express.If you a a club level rider and you think you need more power,the easiest way to get it,is to open the throttle more.This is what the fast guys do.But then you will reach a point when you will be traction limited.This is where the fast guys live.

apriliaforum expert
    The FRR 250 is 70,000 Euro's with the express understanding that it is sold with no spares nor will any be ever offered or made. Wanna hope it starts, Bartol wanted 300Euro's for a copy of the pistons, Aprilia GP pistons are 99Euro's and about 109g.
    If jesus had ridden,he would have rode a two stroke

I have had my days of going balls out, crashing hard and all that. I am a sole provider for my boys, which I have custody of, if something big happens to me I lose my kids, plain and simple. For you to go on a rant and assume that I am some squid that just wants more power is totally wrong. I ran out of top end at Fontana and would like more mid range, I could really give a shit about trying to prove how fast I can go, I have had those days, it is personal for me and therapy to be on the track.

I simply wanted to know what the best combination would be for reliable horsepower. I have had over 16 years in professional motorsports so I am accustomed to getting what you can out of what you have.

2004 RSV Factory
    2000 RS 250
    1997 Ducati 900SS
    1961 Ducati Diana
    1981 MHR Ducati

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast