Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: ****Correct battery replacement procedure. Must read.

apriliaforum newb
    mine zeroed the odo without the key... many times

v´ssss

apriliaforum Junkie
    i guess i will go do this........

i disconnected my batter when i went away for 3 weeks. then couldnt figure out why it kept dying. i recently went away again. but decided to do some searchig around .

thanks for the info!!

apriliaforum prov-nov
    Does this apply to the +07? I disconnected the battery to test a spare dash I bought and didnt notice anything different.

I just puchased 2007 RSVR, battery was dead off of the truck. I replaced the battery without key in ignition. Should I do the key on and 15 second wait to be sure?

apriliaforum expert
    yes do it if you have not already done so, but if its been sitting now for two days since connecting the battery before you've done this or ridden it then your battery may already be well depleted. The issue is when you install it and it sitting for a bit before you go and ride it (like installing the battery at night and not riding it until later the next day) it will sit draining all the while.
    part weight comparisons - click here:
    http://spreadsheets.google.com/pub?k...bA&output=html

2000 Yamaha YZ125
    2002 aprilia Caponord
    2007 aprilia RSVR
    2008 KTM 690 SMC / Enduro R

Ok, so I've dis connected the battery before to install a tender lead and I followed the procedure and I think it went correctly but I've always had a bit of a weak battery. I installed a new battery today and now I'm second guessing myself the entire time... What if my new battery goes dead?? What if I did it wrong the first time and that's why I felt like I always had a weak battery?? I'd hate to ruin another one... How often is the red immobilizer light supposed to blink? Somebody tell me it's all gong to be ok... Hold me...

Ok I'm done whining and worrying now, thanks for the write up!!
    2009 RSVr 1000
    2008 C14

apriliaforum newb
    When the speedo "Zero's out" how do you put the correct original mileage back on the odometer?

apriliaforum Member
    Quote Originally Posted by riderboy1961 View Post
    When the speedo "Zero's out" how do you put the correct original mileage back on the odometer?
    You can't.

Quote Originally Posted by Collier View Post
    You can't.
    So, I guess whenever buying a pre-owned RSV1000 with that type of instrument cluster, you can't actually "know" what the true mileage of the machine is?

apriliaforum prov-nov
    Quote Originally Posted by Collier View Post
    You can't.
    These guys claim they can.

http://www.sosdiagnostics.com/ducati.html

so i'm in the market for a rsv. i've been looking at 2006+ bikes. it is not very clear if the issue has been fixed on later models....from what i can understand, this is relevant to rsv's up to 2009 as long as it has that particular dash? sorry for my confusion. thanks
    - '16 aprilia tuono 1100 factory
    - '17 suzuki gsx-r 1000r - race bike

apriliaforum prov-nov
    Is there a video of this procedure online somewhere? If so, can someone attach the link. I'd like to see it for myself. Thank you!!!
    2003 Mille-R "Colin Edwards"

apriliaforum newb
    My apologies for butting in to this thread but I am not sure the multimeter test mentioned in amauri's original post is correct. At least not for European bikes.
    As someone else pointed out, European bikes have the headlights on as son as the ignition is switched on. With a headlight bulb of 55att, that is going to draw at least 4 Amps and, given the only power source is the battery, the current draw from the battery will be a minimum of 4 Amps. The 45 mAmps suggested will get lost in this and it could be difficult to detect the current drop after the 5 seconds wait. You may notice it you saw the current draw go down from, say, 4.355 Amps to 4.290 Amps but you would need to be aware of what you are looking for. If US bikes don't have the headlights come on with the ignition, no problem.

I too had the odometer zero wit the key/battery combination. Then read a thread about I the day after. D'oh!

Can't say I have ever had a battery discharge by failing to do the 15 seconds wait though. I have had it discharge through a faulty immobiliser unit. Fortunately there was thread on this and how to repair the immobiliser so all was well. Eventually.

apriliaforum newb
    Hi
    Is this" problem " only with the RSVR and the RSR factory? I jut bought a 08 Tuono 1000r , picked up bike, two days later dead battery.
    Should I do this procedure as ?well

apriliaforum Member
    Hi,yes this procedure is for rsv and tuono.Even if you follow the procedure the battery needs recharging quite often

Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast