Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Thread: ****Correct battery replacement procedure. Must read.

just another Aprilia fanatic amauri's Avatar

****Correct battery replacement procedure. Must read.

Many here have reported dead batteries shortly after replacing with a new one.

Also, to prevent resetting the odometer to zero, make sure you remove the key from the ign before disconnecting the batt.
    Aprilia has recently released a troubleshooting guide with detailed explanations and fixes for issues that over the years have been reported by the dealers thru warranty claims.

The following is a copy/paste verbatim from that guide:

INTRODUCTION:
    The following procedure must be performed when refitting the battery onto a vehicle with the MARELLI instrument panel (identifiable by the + and - buttons to the left of the display). This procedure is necessary to prevent the instrument panel from remaining in the "awaiting memorisation of 2nd key", causing it to consume 20 times more current than normal.
    The problem is caused by the instrument self-resetting and then waiting for a key memorisation procedure (even if it has already been performed), remaining in standby mode with this function still active. The resulting high current consumption will drain the battery completely within 3 or 4 days if the vehicle is not used.

PROCEDURE:
    After disconnecting the poles of a battery on an RSV 1000 V2 with Marelli instrument panel, after reconnecting, perform a key-on, wait at least 15 seconds without starting the engine then switch the ignition off.

For more precise testing, connect a multimeter set to current measurement to the battery poles: at key-on, current consumption drops from 45 milliamps to 1-2 milliamps after approximately 15 seconds.
    Obviously, when the multimeter is disconnected, it is as if the battery poles were disconnected again, so the aforementioned procedure must be repeated without the multimeter.
    Last edited by amauri; 03-15-2012 at 10:48 AM. Reason: spelling
    Never accept mediocrity, always demand competence.

Certified Aprilia Moto Service in Southern California
    Call me at 714 892-4056 for appointment

apriliaforum Member
    45mA is enough to completely drain a 12 amp-hour battery in only 11 days. Awesome.

Where did you get this information from? Is it some kind of distribution list? Dealer stuff? 'Cause this stuff is pretty important...

apriliaforum expert
    thanks for sharing this!

I actually did loose a battery and thought it was a defective battery and it was an expensive LifePo4.

This kind of information should be available to any Aprilia owner not just dealer techs. Especially concidering that the majority of the owners in the US don't even have dealers within reasonable distances, and competent ones on top of that.

Why wouldn't Aprilia post this kind of info on their website? It goes a long way to actively promoting customer loyalty and ownership experience. An issue like this also is saving people money and the potential of having unnecessary trouble shooting done by incompetent dealers that welcome any reason to rape a customer of their money.
    part weight comparisons - click here:
    http://spreadsheets.google.com/pub?k...bA&output=html

2000 Yamaha YZ125
    2002 aprilia Caponord
    2007 aprilia RSVR
    2008 KTM 690 SMC / Enduro R

Quote Originally Posted by Kid A View Post
    This kind of information should be available to any Aprilia owner not just dealer techs.
    It is.... right here.
    The info was released just a couple weeks ago.

Why wouldn't Aprilia post this kind of info on their website?
    does any other m/c company post tech info anywhere other than through it's official dealers?
    Besides, we have the AF1 Aprilia Forum to post all the info we need.

Thank you Amauri!!!!!
    -2004 RSVR Factory Red
    -Nera Triple Clamp
    -Woodcraft Clip-ons
    -19x20 Billet Brembo Brake M/C
    -16x18 Billet Brembo Clutch M/C
    -Carbon Labia,Flapper Diabled
    -Open Ironbite Airbox with DNA Air Filter
    -Akrapovic EVO6
    -Map2
    -High Grade Steel Link Plates
    -Gilles Rearsets
    -Gilles Chain Adjuster
    -15/40 520 Chain and Spockets
    -Ohlins Set-Up by Poletti Racing Italy

apriliaforum expert
    Quote Originally Posted by amauri View Post
    Besides, we have the AF1 Aprilia Forum to post all the info we need.
    I applaud your efforts into information sharing. But I still believe my points are very valid. If you didn't take it upon yourself to take your own time to post this none of us "non-Aprilia techs" would ever know about it.

This issue concerns bikes that are well out of warranty and expected to be wrenched on by owners and non Aprilia certified mechanics. They should know this fact simply based upon their own (poor) dealer network.

i don't know if other manufactures share this kind of information in some central location for their customers, but they should. Its no differnet than firmware updates and patches for electrical/software products. As issues become known solutions are available for those that choose to look into it. Why choose to not support your products and keep them on the road longer? What do they have to loose? They already have a website, and post owners manuals. A list of issues, recalls and bulletins could easily be available by model on the website.

Last edited by Kid A; 02-18-2011 at 11:26 AM.
    part weight comparisons - click here:
    http://spreadsheets.google.com/pub?k...bA&output=html

2000 Yamaha YZ125
    2002 aprilia Caponord
    2007 aprilia RSVR
    2008 KTM 690 SMC / Enduro R

Yes, the consumer electronics/appliance manufactures support the home users much better than the automotive & m/c manufacturers.

Aprilia is no different than all the other motor vehicle mfg.
    In fact they are in many ways much better at posting documentation than others like Ducati, etc.

One possible reason I can think of as to why motor vehicle manufactures do not post technical how-to info for the untrained general public is liability. They deal with the public through their network of trained technicians/dealers.
    Last edited by amauri; 02-18-2011 at 08:01 PM. Reason: spelling

apriliaforum expert thrillaprilla's Avatar
    Amuari, you are still my hero.
    Thanks for the post, now it all makes sense.
    It takes a village to raise a village idiot.

apriliaforum newb
    thanks for the reply Amauri

apriliaforum expert HARDCHARGER's Avatar
    Happened to me last year

I know this is the 2004 onwards section but do you know if this is the situation with the older shape RSV's?

[IMG][/IMG]

[IMG][/IMG]

[IMG][/IMG]

Quote Originally Posted by amauri View Post
    Many here have reported dead batteries shortly after replacing with a new one.

Aprilia has recently released a troubleshooting guide with detailed explanations and fixes for issues that over the years have been reported by the dealers thru warranty claims.

The following is a copy/paste verbatim from that guide:

INTRODUCTION:
    The following procedure must be performed when refitting the battery onto a vehicle with the MARELLI instrument panel (identifiable by the + and - buttons to the left of the display). This procedure is necessary to prevent the instrument panel from remaining in the "awaiting memorisation of 2nd key", causing it to consume 20 times more current than normal.
    The problem is caused by the instrument self-resetting and then waiting for a key memorisation procedure (even if it has already been performed), remaining in standby mode with this function still active. The resulting high current consumption will drain the battery completely within 3 or 4 days if the vehicle is not used.

PROCEDURE:
    After disconnecting the poles of a battery on an RSV 1000 V2 with Marelli instrument panel, after reconnecting, perform a key-on, wait at least 15 seconds without starting the engine then switch the ignition off.

For more precise testing, connect a multimeter set to current measurement to the battery poles: at key-on, current consumption drops from 45 milliamps to 1-2 milliamps after approximately 15 seconds.
    Obviously, when the multimeter is disconnected, it is as if the battery poles were disconnected again, so the aforementioned procedure must be repeated without the multimeter.
    A couple of questions. Does this apply to uk bikes? I have 04 aprilia with the last display off the 3 shown. My lights are always on when ignition is so won't notice current drop...

Is this the guilty instrument, as this is the one I have.
    Also you say it is awaiting memorisation of 2nd key? I have two keys does that mean i need to repeat the procedure for each key. Or is it a case off:

Disconnect battery
    Reconnect Battery
    Place one key (either off the two) in the ignition
    Turn ignition on for 15seconds
    Turn ignition off

apriliaforum newb
    farmer1, I have the same bike (and dash)
    The maintenance tip says, "...MARELLI instrument panel (identifiable by the + and - buttons to the left of the display)" and does not differentiate between model years so I would have to say YES, it does apply to us.
    I'm going to do it either way!
    Good Luck!

So did this last night before my nightshift, finished at 5am and guess what flat battery arghh. Guess the 15seconds of having my lights on with no engine was to much for my battery. grrrrrrrr

Quote Originally Posted by CAVPILOT View Post
    farmer1, I have the same bike (and dash)
    The maintenance tip says, "...MARELLI instrument panel (identifiable by the + and - buttons to the left of the display)" and does not differentiate between model years so I would have to say YES, it does apply to us.
    I'm going to do it either way!
    Good Luck!
    Where would the +/- appear to the left of the display? I couldn't see where it would be viable on any of the instrument panels but would like to see 1 with the +/- to know exactly where to look?

Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast