Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Exhaust valve servo-motor eliminator needed ?

apriliaforum expert

Exhaust valve servo-motor eliminator needed ?

Hi all,

I've installed a full exhaust system, and removed the exhaust valve servo motor.
    Now I've got a warning light in the instrument, and I would like to remove it.

My question is - is it needed to install a eliminator in the valve servo motor electrical connector ?
    Dorsoduro 900

just another Aprilia fanatic amauri's Avatar
    I've just read thru all six pages and 81 posts on this thread, I still can't believe there is so much confusion about the servo motor and exhaust header flapper valve.

A few people who posted got it right, but for the most part this thread is very confusing and full of wrong info.

This is an important topic and I would like to start over to set the record straight.

I've soft deleted every post after the OP's first post and would appreciate some cooperation in staying on topic with correct info.

I'll start off with the facts:

1-) If you install a Race ECU, you can remove the servo motor and cables without the ECU posting any errors whatsoever.
    2-) If you leave the servo in place and it malfunctions, you will get an error code even with a Race ECU installed.
    3-) Without a Race ECU, you can remove the cables but you must leave the servo in place and connected
    4-) If you remove the cables but leave the servo in place, and you replace or update the dash, you may have servo related errors (the dash controls the servo, not the ECU)
    5-) With a Race ECU installed, removing the cables but leaving the servo motor in place is foolish, get rid of it.

If you remove the cables, don't forget to wire the flapper valve open.
    Though the valve is spring loaded to stay open with the cables removed, they have been known to partially close when under full throttle high engine load conditions.

And to answer the OP's question:

No you don't need a servo motor eliminator device if you install a full system without a Race ECU..
    Just remove the cables but leave the servo in place and electrically connected.
    Last edited by amauri; 08-06-2017 at 11:03 PM. Reason: corrections
    Never accept mediocrity, always demand competence.

Certified Aprilia Moto Service in Southern California
    Call me at 714 892-4056 for appointment

apriliaforum Junkie Destruktor77's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by amauri View Post
    5-) With a Race ECU installed, removing the cables but leaving the servo motor in place is foolish, get rid of it.
    This is what i've done, i left it in place with the connectors done up so it didn't get all gunked up and dirty. Is there any issues with leaving it there? apart from the fact it's literally useless.
    XVTuner Cable in Jersey, CI.

2013 RSV4R - Road
    2008 SXV 450 - Pending Long Term tidy up/restore.
    2006 KTM SMR 450 - HillClimb/Trackday

apriliaforum newb
    I did no3 and lock wired it open for now till I get Gabro ecu done

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

How about leaving the cables and servo motor in place with the Race ECU, does it function like normal??

Quote Originally Posted by Prospek View Post
    How about leaving the cables and servo motor in place with the Race ECU, does it function like normal??
    It does not function as the Stock ECU uses it; if that's what you mean.
    The Race ECU leaves it closed until you put the bike in gear then it opens, that's about the extent of it.
    Caveat being post #2 number 2.
    2015(16) RSV4 RR Ascari Black 201HP

apriliaforum newb
    Quote Originally Posted by amauri View Post
    I've just read thru all six pages and 81 posts on this thread, I still can't believe there is so much confusion about the servo motor and exhaust header flapper valve.

A few people who posted got it right, but for the most part this thread is very confusing and full of wrong info.

This is an important topic and I would like to start over to set the record straight.

I've soft deleted every post after the OP's first post and would appreciate some cooperation in staying on topic with correct info.

I'll start off with the facts:

1-) If you install a Race ECU, you can remove the servo motor and cables without the ECU posting any errors whatsoever.
    2-) If you leave the servo in place and it malfunctions, you will get an error code even with a Race ECU installed.
    3-) Without a Race ECU, you can remove the cables but you must leave the servo in place and connected
    4-) If you remove the cables but leave the servo in place, and you replace or update the dash, you may have servo related errors (the dash controls the servo, not the ECU)

If you remove the cables, don't forget to wire the flapper valve open.
    Though the valve is spring loaded to stay open with the cables removed, they have been known to partially close when under full throttle high engine load conditions.

And to answer the OP's question:

No you don't need a servo motor eliminator device if you install a full system without a Race ECU..
    Just remove the cables but leave the servo in place and electrically connected.
    Now this is a clear and great info on the subject matter that one can understand . Thx

apriliaforum newb
    I know this thread is a little old but just to confirm. If you fit a full system and get ecu flashed can you then remove the servo?

Quote Originally Posted by 180ade View Post
    I know this thread is a little old but just to confirm. If you fit a full system and get ecu flashed can you then remove the servo?
    If the ECU is flashed to Race ECU & shows Race on dash, yes servo can be removed.

apriliaforum newb
    Quote Originally Posted by plocky View Post
    If the ECU is flashed to Race ECU & shows Race on dash, yes servo can be removed.
    Plan to get stock ecu reflashed so would assume it will display race.

just another Aprilia fanatic amauri's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by 180ade View Post
    Plan to get stock ecu reflashed so would assume it will display race.
    Not always the case.

As I recall, some third party ECU flashes like Rexxer do not show "race" on the dash and requires that the servo and Lambda remain connected.
    Never accept mediocrity, always demand competence.

Certified Aprilia Moto Service in Southern California
    Call me at 714 892-4056 for appointment

apriliaforum Member
    The Race ECU leaves it closed until you put the bike in gear then it opens, that's about the extent of it.
    Sorry to bump this threat, but I've got a question.

Is this only with the Race ecu, flashed ECU or STOCK ecu?
    As I bought a RSV4 2 weeks ago, which has exactly what you describe.

How would that valve work otherwise ?
    Last edited by MrSlashzz; 09-26-2017 at 10:00 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by MrSlashzz View Post
    Sorry to bump this threat, but I've got a question.

Is this only with the Race ecu, flashed ECU or STOCK ecu?
    As I bought a RSV4 2 weeks ago, which has exactly what you describe.

How would that valve work otherwise ?
    From MY 2015 RR/RF WSM

Butterfly valve in exhaust, Stock ECU operation.
    Function:
    It is used to reduce exhaust noise. The exhaust butterfly valve is managed as follows:
    • With engine off: open by 75% • With engine running: regardless of the gear engaged, below 5,500 rpm and below 14 of throttle opening it is fully closed; over 6,500 rpm or 16 of throttle opening it is fully open; under any other condition it is in an intermediate position. With bike stopped and in neutral the valve stays closed, regardless of rpm
    Last edited by plocky; 09-29-2017 at 10:08 PM. Reason: clarity

apriliaforum Member
    Butterfly valve in exhaust, Stock ECU opereation.
    Function:
    It is used to reduce exhaust noise. The exhaust butterfly valve is managed as follows:
    • With engine off: open by 75% • With engine running: regardless of the gear engaged, below 5,500 rpm and below 14 of throttle opening it is fully closed; over 6,500 rpm or 16 of throttle opening it is fully open; under any other condition it is in an intermediate position. With bike stopped and in neutral the valve stays closed, regardless of rpm
    So what you say is, whenever I put my bike in gear while standing still without throttling the valve should stay closed ?
    Thats not the case in my scenario, when I put my bike in first gear it opens the valve. the sounds is much more different then when its in neutral.

apriliaforum expert
    Quote Originally Posted by MrSlashzz View Post
    So what you say is, whenever I put my bike in gear while standing still without throttling the valve should stay closed ?
    Thats not the case in my scenario, when I put my bike in first gear it opens the valve. the sounds is much more different then when its in neutral.
    Didn't the earlier V4 bikes open she put into 1st gear even while stopped?
    This changed at a later stage maybe?

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast