Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Benelli Tornado 903? eh?

Benelli Tornado 903? eh?

Benelli's website now has listings for a Tornado 903, Tornado 903 RS, and Tornado 903 LE.

I can't find anything about them anywhere on the web.

Are these actually newly manufactured motorcycles? If so are they straight "re-issues" of the old Novecento or are they different somehow? They look the same and the specs seem about the same.

Honest always, feared often Micah / AF1 Racing's Avatar
    From talking to their distributor here in the USA a couple of years ago they are STILL trying sell their inventory of those wretched-fucked early production machines...and still trying to get a premium price for that shit! Maybe this is something new but it stinks of what I was told about in the past.

The "special" one is the early "Oro" or Gold or top of the line model, the rest are less exotic derivatives of that same bike.

BTW...if you buy one be prepared for what is most likely the worst thought out and assembled bike I have ever had the misfortune of working on. I like "cerebral" problems...they are fun to fix, the Benelli lacked that charm!
    Diminished expectations is the key to happiness in life.

Micah Shoemaker
    AF1 Racing
    699 W. San Antonio
    New Braunfels, TX 78130
    830-626-3966
    micah@af1racing.com

everything I've read and reaffirmed by Micah means I will NEVER buy one, I love the looks and the name but I clap my hands, I'm out.
    Life's too short to ride, drink, or smoke crap.
    Rides-
    00' Guzzi V11 Sport custom, (sold)
    07.5 Aprilia RSVR trick, (totaled)
    98 Ducati ST2 (SOLD)
    09 DD750 nicely equipped.

I saw a benelli tre last year, like the bike but no way in hell I'd buy one. Pretty sure the US distributed is gone, Benelli USA site not updated and taken over by the web master. I think parts situation, much less warranty would be a complete nightmare in the US.

Chris

Quote Originally Posted by DeBenGuzzi View Post
    everything I've read and reaffirmed by Micah means I will NEVER buy one, I love the looks and the name but I clap my hands, I'm out.
    Chris

a few bikes

I had a 2003 Tornado and loved it (before it got stolen), which is why I'm interested. The site never had any Tornados listed, only the Tre-K and TnTs, until now which makes me think they're up to something. I've never heard of the 903 before. They did go back to the smaller engine with the 899 TnT so why not with the Tornado?

As far as reliability and whatnot goes, Benellis are not nearly as bad as they're made out to be. The only reason I didn't buy another one instead of the RSV4 was because I didn't like the 1130 engine.

903 cc is a new engine and was released in Europe last year. Entry price point will be lower then 1130 cc bikes. 1130 still staying in the line up. A friend of mine wo can assemble the bike out of 4 boxes with no manual within 4 hours states that though Benelli are somewhat weird they are pretty reliable once a few minor mods a performed. Its not unlike an Aprilia.

MotoWorld Online <---- Click

2003 Aprilia SL Falco 1000R De-restricted * Gilles VarioBars * Two Brother Racing CF Exhaust w/RSC Carbon Chip * 15T Front Sprocket * Motovation Front Sliders * Millepede Fork Sliders * Skidmarx Bellypan * NWS CF Hugger * Supersprox rear sprocket * Ohlins Rear Shock & Front Forks * OZ Rims * Pazzo Levers * Puig Touring Screen * Galfer Wave Rotors * Spiegler Brake/Clutch Lines * 4 piston Mille R Brake Calipers

2008 BMW HP2 Sport

2006 Bimota SB8K Santamonica

2005 Benelli Tornado Tre

2004 Triumph Daytona 600 Race Bike - Sold

2004 Moto Guzzi Ballabio converted to LeMans * M4 CF Exhaust * Convertibars - Sold

Honest always, feared often Micah / AF1 Racing's Avatar
    I do agree there, the smaller 900cc engines were almost unbelievably better than the 1130cc motors. Made more power too, at least the ones I have played with.
    Diminished expectations is the key to happiness in life.

Micah Shoemaker
    AF1 Racing
    699 W. San Antonio
    New Braunfels, TX 78130
    830-626-3966
    micah@af1racing.com

Thanks Falco, that's interesting. Wonder if they'll be released in Oz as I'd love to go back to the 900 triple, perhaps. Do you know what's different about the 903 versus the old 900s?

Quote Originally Posted by wfo View Post
    Thanks Falco, that's interesting. Wonder if they'll be released in Oz as I'd love to go back to the 900 triple, perhaps. Do you know what's different about the 903 versus the old 900s?
    As far as I know they have redesigned the engine. The new correct engine size is 899cc and 903cc in comparison to old 900cc. I don't remember the particulars. All I remember is that it was released in Europe as a 2009 model. So now it has 2 years under its belt. Also I think anything assembled after 2005 is 1000% better. The assembly seems to be much better though they still have to work on their rough edges. I am not worried that the company is owned by Chinese. Actually Chinese are the ones who got the money. QJ is the mother company is 2nd largest scooter producer in the world. Again if memory serves me right they produce close to 500K scooters yearly.
    Look at Volvo. It actually introducing cars that would have been held up. Also quality is pretty good. Chinese are hands off on design of very prestigious marques. They are there to learn design and building techniques, so that they can utilize them.

Here is the link to official UK Benelli site

2003 Aprilia SL Falco 1000R De-restricted * Gilles VarioBars * Two Brother Racing CF Exhaust w/RSC Carbon Chip * 15T Front Sprocket * Motovation Front Sliders * Millepede Fork Sliders * Skidmarx Bellypan * NWS CF Hugger * Supersprox rear sprocket * Ohlins Rear Shock & Front Forks * OZ Rims * Pazzo Levers * Puig Touring Screen * Galfer Wave Rotors * Spiegler Brake/Clutch Lines * 4 piston Mille R Brake Calipers

2008 BMW HP2 Sport

2005 Benelli Tornado Tre

2004 Moto Guzzi Ballabio converted to LeMans * M4 CF Exhaust * Convertibars - Sold

apriliaforum prov-nov aussie rs's Avatar
    Buster, Nath from the Benelli forum. the situation is this, ALL base 900 tre's were made in 02 to very early 05 (Limited editions were made during 01-02 for sale as 02 models), NO 900cc tornado's have been made since, the 903 is what the original tornado was called.
    all unsold stock left in Italy was sold in bulk at a cheaper price to Benelli UK , hence the new tornado available there for 6000 quid. Oz is meant to be getting a new Benelli agent soon so I'm told.
    903 means 900cc / 3 cylinder, but it is 899cc to comply with the SBK rules at the time. has the same bore stroke dimensions as the 899 tnt, but the tnt motrs are more refined these days.

We both know the bikes are fine except for some early issues, Errols has done 77,000 kays and his has only needed a new cam chain.

Mines only ever left me stranded on the side of the road once, the nut on the clutch actuator came loose and i could'nt use the clutch, and thats in 6 yrs of ownership!!
    and it still looks like brand new :-)

Trust me on the data, I speak to Gianluca at the factory regulary. I hitting him up on the new quattro 600cc tesi at the moment.

Again I will say that 899 is basically a new engine. Its actually a destrocked and smoothed out version of 1130cc. ITS not an old 900cc mill.

By the way its good to hear from someone acually has the bike. Bad mouthing the product that one has never seen or tried is wrong. I have always new that Benelli has an awesome engine and its given that every manufacturer bike comes with some glithces. The only difference is that only few mechanics know what they are doing with Benelli.

Here is more info on 899cc
    http://www.cycleworld.com/motorcycle...enelli_tnt_899

http://www.cycleworld.com/2009_buyer...t_899_tnt_899s

http://www.cycleworld.com/motorcycle...elli_tre-k_899
    Last edited by FalcoLion; 02-13-2011 at 12:13 AM.

2008 BMW HP2 Sport

2005 Benelli Tornado Tre

apriliaforum prov-nov aussie rs's Avatar
    true, there was the original 900, then the tnt 1130, then the evo version which has more r&d which went into the sport tnt and cafe racer and 1130cc tornado, this in turned had its stroke reduced to become the tnt 899 series. 1130 tornados are pretty bulletproof. apart from some early recalls and the alternator shaft upgrade they appear to be a lot more reliable that some stories ive heard of MV's and Dukes. like any italian they require committment to learning about any issues via forums, . they have their quirks, its just a shame that the bikes before QJ stepped in were iffy in build quality as they were assembled under license by Moto Morini. after 06 it went in house and build quality went up a big step. QJ have committed to revamping the dealer and tech support in 2011...thank god.

What??!? You have given me good cause to get a Triple?? eek.
    If I got a Benelli I would be the ONLY guy in my county with one. Just like the days that I had the 1999 Lav.

DungeonMaster
    #1 Forum Magic Missile Caster

"I rode a Griso at when I used to work for Aprilia City in Melbourne. Probably the nicest bike ever" - Cosaro

"Once again you show up with apples and bowling balls"

2007 Moto Guzzi Griso
    1984 Moto Guzzi V65
    1988 Yamaha FZ750 rat bike

god damn it, all this good news is making me want a benelli, and since I went from a Guzzi to an aprilia to a duc my only options now are MV or Benelli
    Life's too short to ride, drink, or smoke crap.
    Rides-
    00' Guzzi V11 Sport custom, (sold)
    07.5 Aprilia RSVR trick, (totaled)
    98 Ducati ST2 (SOLD)
    09 DD750 nicely equipped.

Quote Originally Posted by aussie rs View Post

Trust me on the data, I speak to Gianluca at the factory regulary. I hitting him up on the new quattro 600cc tesi at the moment.
    Is that still in the works? I figured it to be vaporware by this point. Is Pierluigi Marconi still Techincal Director at Benelli? Without him, I doubt they can pull off the hub center.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast