Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Need to replace rear brake pads

Need to replace rear brake pads

Hi all.
    Has anyone replaced the rear brake pads on a Scarabeo similar to mine? The pad on one side looks like it's completely gone and the rear brake makes a scraping noise if I come down a long steep hill, like we have plenty of around here. The one I live on, for example.
    My shop manual doesn't say a word about how to change the pads, only how to remove the caliper assembly, which I have already done to check the pads since I can't see them when it's on the bike. Is it easy to do? Where can I get the pads? Anything I need to be especially aware of? Can I do it without opening the hydraulics and having to bleed the system? Is this something I should have the shop do, brakes being rather important after all, or is it a straightforward home garage project?
    Thanks in advance, fellers. And gals, if there are any here.
    Jay
    2001 Scarabeo 150 - "El Pavo"

apriliaforum expert
    yes easy as it gets if calipers off your 1/2 way there

apriliaforum expert armadillored's Avatar
    You should have either a clip or 2 screws holding the pads on the caliper - most likely 2 screws. Remove them and the pads come right off - install the new ones the same way. Then push the pads all the way apart to move the pistons back in the caliper. This will take some pressure ( I use a "C" clamp). This sends all the fluid back to the reservoir on the handlebar. Be careful it doesn't spill out - put a rag under it. Then put the caliper back on and tighten the screws. Check the reservoir and make sure it is at the "max" level. Put the top back on the reservoir and squeeze the brake lever to seat the pads. Then go for a ride and gently apply the brake a few times.
    Then your'e good to go.
    '67 BMW R69S-"Toots" in rehab
    '09 Silver SC250
    Previous rides:
    '04 Chinese 125
    '06 X9-500
    '08 MP3-400
    '06 BV500

'09 Mana

apriliaforum Member
    Jay, I don't think you need to remove the caliper. You need to remove the cir clip at end of pin, remove pin and spring, grab pad with needle nose pliers and pull out.

I am not sure if this link works or not. If it does, part # 6 is the pin that needs to be removed.
    If the link does not work go to the url below to see brake parts.

https://www.apriliayorkshire.co.uk/c...Rear%20caliper
    Attached Files Attached Files
    Last edited by newbeo; 02-06-2011 at 08:29 PM. Reason: Adding url

apriliaforum Member
    Jay, I think i figured out how to upload pictures. It this works there should be pictures from my sportcity 250. It might not be exactly like yours but should give you a picture to follow.

Good Luck,
    Mike

Name:  brake1.JPG
Views: 415
Size:  25.5 KB

Name:  brake2.JPG
Views: 410
Size:  32.5 KB

Name:  brake3.JPG
Views: 418
Size:  30.2 KB

Name:  brake4.JPG
Views: 421
Size:  32.0 KB

Thank you tomd - that looks almost exactly like my set up. Those are great pics. Looks like a perfectly straightforward procedure. Is there any trick to pulling the circular clip on the pin?
    Now I've got to buy the pads. I really don't want to ride it until I get these replaced.
    How do you keep your brakes and wheels so clean? Jeez.
    Jay

Oops I meant to say Newbeo thanks for the pics. That is a super little instructional.
    Jay

Ordered my new brake pads from e-bay this morning. I hope they get here soon. Thanks for the help, all.
    Jay

apriliaforum expert
    what brand you able to get i meant to tell ya its hard to beat the ferodo silvers on af1 the $20 recommended pads here on site gotta be careful with cheapo pads but theyre easy to change out they seem to make about 10K safely when the aftermarket wavy discs loose popularity with the kids they should fall to about 60$ a pop being worth it then this 200$ nonsense is pure dumb

apriliaforum expert
    yea newbeo is in pa i think buried in snow or close 2 it bikes stored indoors and clean mines close to that clean but outside my door ready 2 go i still daily it most weeks still

apriliaforum expert
    i dont use e ring mine got enlarged i just put a dab of goop on re assembly holds it fine till next change

apriliaforum expert
    make sure your fluid is running out of zerk fitting bottle clear as new if its a tad bit red/brown theres rust starting to form between piston n bore mite wanna open and clean w fine Emery/crocus cloth fit new o rings and re assemble cheap stuff to do

I will check the fluid when I'm doing the pad replacement tomd. I don't know the brand of pad I ordered them from here:
    http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eB...3562&viewitem=
    They were only $18.90 and I spend more than that on an average night on the town so not a budget buster. Next time I need something though I will order from our sponsors just to support them. This is a great and helpful site.
    Jay

apriliaforum expert armadillored's Avatar
    How many miles do you have on that bike??
    '67 BMW R69S-"Toots" in rehab
    '09 Silver SC250
    Previous rides:
    '04 Chinese 125
    '06 X9-500
    '08 MP3-400
    '06 BV500

'09 Mana

15.3 k miles; I bought it used last September. I've put about 400 miles on it.
    Jay

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast