Thread: TB Synch + TPS reset

apriliaforum prov-nov stuarto49's Avatar

TB Synch + TPS reset

I HAVE searched and reviewed a dozen threads on T/B Synch but I would like to confirm how much strip down is required on my 06 Capo.

I recently did a 32,000 mile major service including valve check (all in spec!), oil change, air filter, spark plugs, etc. Next is T/B Synch & TPS check.

From what I have read I need only to remove the left lower panel to access the service hoses and connect them to my Motion Pro mercury stick. I also have a Twin Max digital balancer which I may try as well. I have used both devices on several previous machines. So I don't need to lift the tank? Or airbox?

After the T/B balance I plan to connect my Centurion Pro Europe, check the TPS and reset if necessary.

Welcome all comments and tips. Thanks, Stuart
    Last edited by stuarto49; 02-01-2011 at 04:34 PM. Reason: corrected a few words
    Stuart ::: Richmond, VA :: Iron Butt Assoc #11000
    2006 Caponord; 2006 Honda ST1300A;
    1986 Kawasaki KZ1000-P Police

If you look the sync ppes are there to hook up too. Very easy.

look under the rider seat on the left side of the rear cylinder, near the frame rail for 2 clear vinyl tubes parallel to each other. They are the only clear tubes in that area.
    they have rubber plugs in them.
    2006 Caponord - Rich's custom seat, drilled stock pipes, Catfish "429" map, Braking wave rotors, Rally Raid Bars/fender, Ricor Intiminators, Skidmarx custom windscreen ( propane torch special ), Bags Connection tank bag
    2004 Moto Guzzi Breva 750ie

While we are on the topic, what is required to do a TB synch?
    2004 Oyster Gray Caponord
    Kappa High Screen
    Aprilia Crashbars
    Aprilia Handguards
    Aprilia Centrestand
    Polisport High-mount front fender
    HPR Concepts LED driving lights
    Radiator + oil cooler guards
    Heidenau K60 + Mitas E-07
    Ariete angled valves
    Bags Connection Daypack II
    Mods: Gutted Pipes, af1 braided fuel line + connectors, charging mod, fork spacers.

I've used a homemade tool like this for years on all of my twin cylinder bikes.

All we care is that the "water column" is equalized, to create equal vacuum for each cylinder.

check this out.

http://www.650ccnd.com/mano.htm
    2006 Caponord - Rich's custom seat, drilled stock pipes, Catfish "429" map, Braking wave rotors, Rally Raid Bars/fender, Ricor Intiminators, Skidmarx custom windscreen ( propane torch special ), Bags Connection tank bag

Quote Originally Posted by ELMOSISU View Post

I've used a homemade tool like this for years on all of my twin cylinder bikes.

All we care is that the "water column" is equalized, to create equal vacuum for each cylinder.

check this out.

http://www.650ccnd.com/mano.htm
    Cool Beans! I''l give it a bash making my own.

What exactly are the symptoms if the TBs are not synched? Does it have more of an effect on idle and not so much while riding or do I have this all wrong?
    2004 Oyster Gray Caponord
    Kappa High Screen
    Aprilia Crashbars
    Aprilia Handguards
    Aprilia Centrestand
    Polisport High-mount front fender
    HPR Concepts LED driving lights
    Radiator + oil cooler guards
    Heidenau K60 + Mitas E-07
    Ariete angled valves
    Bags Connection Daypack II
    Mods: Gutted Pipes, af1 braided fuel line + connectors, charging mod, fork spacers.

apriliaforum expert
    Quote Originally Posted by vilaishima View Post
    Cool Beans! I''l give it a bash making my own.

What exactly are the symptoms if the TBs are not synched? Does it have more of an effect on idle and not so much while riding or do I have this all wrong?
    Symptom would be a lumpy idle. In the case of the Capo or any other bike where the throttle plates are fixed in relation to each other, the idle synch has no effect at higher throttle settings. All you're doing here is equalizing the air flow under the throttle plates at closed throttle. On bikes with separated carbs or throttle bodies, the actual throttle plate openings are being synchronized, so the adjustment has effect across the entire throttle range.

BTW, be sure to use the procedure specific to the Capo and Futura, not the one for the other Rotax-powered models.

Stu
    Last edited by Stu_O; 02-02-2011 at 08:20 AM.

Good questions, I already read about the location of the tubes in the service manual, i'll be doing this quite soon too. Do you have to remove the tank to get to the screws on the throttle bodies? (Just curious) I haven't tore the tank off yet to see where they are located.
    02 Caponord, 06 Speed Triple,03 VFR, 03 K1200RS, 07 k1200GT

Let me know when you plan to do this service. If I'm not in China I will come down (160 mi) with my VDST system and Motion Pro mercury carb stick, etc Also have an electronic Twinmax balance gauge which we can try. This has variable sensitivity - quite accurate.

I would like to become more familiar with all these service details.

I did locate the 2 access tubes yesterday, just below and ahead of the rider's seat, connected them to the mercury stick, and found balanced TBs within about 1cm Hg. This actually improved with light throttle. So my idle is probably about as good as it gets. I did NOT yet connect the VDST - maybe today.

Stuart Ostroff
    Richmond

Quote Originally Posted by Pplummer View Post
    Good questions, I already read about the location of the tubes in the service manual, i'll be doing this quite soon too. Do you have to remove the tank to get to the screws on the throttle bodies? (Just curious) I haven't tore the tank off yet to see where they are located.
    You will have to remove the plastics and loosen the tank in order to tip it upwards from the rear in order to expose where you need to get a screwdriver. I support it with a block of wood on the rear cam cover. The lines need to be hooked up, as the motor is running when you are adjusting. the adjustment screw(s) is on the left side of the TBs near the base. You should only adjust one side. the other should be 100% closed.

I have that exact block of wood and it props up 3 different tanks on my 3 bikes!

Stuart

Thanks guys. Stu - I have a Carbtune and a Gastester for the bike already! I may try and get to it sometime soon. Work has had me swamped lately and I haven't been able to do to much. I am going to break down and have a friend of mine wire the 49 Suburban for me. I love doing it, but I just don't have the time and I want to drive it this summer. It's one of the last things I need to do before I fire the new engine.
    02 Caponord, 06 Speed Triple,03 VFR, 03 K1200RS, 07 k1200GT