Page 1 of 36 12311 ... LastLast

Thread: Tank deforming/bulging anyone?

Tank deforming/bulging anyone?

I was waxing the bike the other day and noticed this on the tank
    It wasn't there before because I wax my bike weekly and usually, the tank- both its flat and curved areas were pefectly smooth.
    I don't know what have caused it, the heat/pressure/ or whatever else because I live in Southern Louisiana and it's Dante's down here!
    I checked the black RSV4 and it too has it on one side of the tank and not both like mine, whereas the Factory is buttery smooth

Uploaded with ImageShack.us

have you removed the EVAP canister and check valve from the vent line? The pressure is caused by those 2 pieces as they dont allow enough of the fumes to escape from the tank when the fuel gets hot and expands.

No I haven't but I normally open the tank gas cap to let it depressurized after a long ride. I only brougth it to the dealership and seek their advice though.

The tank should not have any pressure in it ever.....Some RSVR's suffered from a similar problem, a kinked vent line usually. Removal of the EVAP canister like RSV racer said may help also.
    2008 Aprilia RSVR Bol D' Or Rep (Street)
    2010 KTM 450 EXC (Dirt)
    2007 KTM 640 Adventure (Cross Country Bomber)
    2008 Husaberg fe 450 (Project..)
    2008 Ski-Doo 800 (Rotax!) 154" (Winter)
    2007 Aprilia Tuono (Gone)
    2000 Kawasaki ZR-7 (Gone)

I don't think it's a general heat issue as I've been riding one hard at the track in 90+ heat (Sepang, Malaysia) for a year. I think you have a problem the dealer should fix.
    2012 KTM 300EXC Six Days
    2011 KTM 690 Duke R
    2011 Aprilia RSV4 Factory APRC
    2008 Ducati Hypermotard 1100S
    2007 Honda CBR600RR

apriliaforum prov-nov
    hmm this is interesting since I've noticed the same thing as well. I will have to talk to my dealer to see what they would do since my tank had to be resprayed when I went down at the track months ago.

Mine swells with pressure even with the evap can removed. But it hasn't deformed any.
    In the garage: '10 RSV4-R x2 '94&95 VFR750F '01&'09 SV650S '04 DR650 '85 VF500F '83 DT-80K '07 CBR600RR

A common enough problem on US Ducatis with plastic tanks. Its the ethanol in their fuel that causes this. Ducati NA warranties theirs against this sort of problem though.

http://www.ducati-superbikes.com/for...hlight=ethanol

http://www.ducati-superbikes.com/for...nol#post247395

Max Lean Angle / Administrator Ed / AF1 Racing's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by V-4ce View Post
    Mine swells with pressure even with the evap can removed. But it hasn't deformed any.
    double check your vent lines.....they both should allow air to go both ways......sounds like you might still have the one-way valve on the tank vent or one line pinched behind the sprocket cover. It is not supposed to be there, and there should really be very little to no pressure in the tank with the EVAP can removed properly.
    AF1 Racing
    Ed Cook AF1 ed@af1racing.com
    AF1 Racing, inc / ApriliaForum.com
    9900 North Interstate 35, Austin, TX 78753
    phone: 512-459-3966 fax: 512-482-8319

AF1 Racing Online Store -- Aprilia - Moto Guzzi - Piaggio - Vespa - Zero MC - Benelli
    AF1 Racing Dealership -- Aprilia - Moto Guzzi - Piaggio - Vespa - Zero MC - Benelli

apriliaforum prov-nov
    Mine had the same problem. Take it to the dealer and they should warranty it. Still waiting on a new tank but it is getting replaced.

Yeah, I brought mine to the dealer and had it examined. I also called Ape USA and expressed the situation to them as well. It appears then that the problem of my tank isn't unique, a sigh of relief I guess.

I had a similar issue with my superduke - the tank swelled to the point that the front bolt could not be re-threaded. The bike was out of warranty, but KTM replaced the tank and I was only charged 2 hours labor (to swap the fuel pump, etc).

Thank the US Gov for our wonderful E10 fuel.
    CURRENT BIKE
    2013 Multistrada S Touring
    2004 Tuono Factory

apriliaforum Junkie
    Acerbis supplied tanks on recent bikes are doing the above.
    Also called tank spread.

Here in The States, the EPA has mandated that smog systems must be warranted for a number of years.
    Not sure if it is 5 or more. But the tank is part of the system.

Word is the replacement will take a while because it's in back ordered status. This sucks but it might be that my issue isn't unique, I hope a clear explanation/solution can surface??

apriliaforum prov-nov
    Quote Originally Posted by Yellaghost View Post
    Word is the replacement will take a while because it's in back ordered status. This sucks but it might be that my issue isn't unique, I hope a clear explanation/solution can surface??
    This will happen again and again unless they find a way to treat the plastic inside the tank or use a different material for the tank altogether. Replacing the current production plastic tank with another one will not solve the problem, it will just happen again, just like with Ducati...

Page 1 of 36 12311 ... LastLast