Thread: '03 RSV fan kicks in early.

apriliaforum newb

'03 RSV fan kicks in early.

Hello all,

I'd like some input on my issue with the fans on my '03 RSV. They've worked beautifully in the past, but for a while now they seem to kick in at 70 degrees C. Now, this is quite low, but the engine still reaches the usual operating temperature of 78-79 degrees.

I believe the culprit could be the sensor in the rear cylinder, which I've learned controls the fans. Upon looking at the workshop manual, replacing it seems like a quite straightforward task - remove left side fairing, unplug wires, unscrew sensor, apply loctite on new sensor, insert sensor and old gasket, connect wires and replace fairing. Finally, check coolant level is within range.

Now, I am interested whether the operation actually is that simple or whether I should budget lots of hours and a suitable space (as opposed to just doing it on the parking lot). Does anyone have any pointers or tips on how to carry out the surgery succesfully - or better yet, should I look elsewhere first?

Finally, going by the temp reading on the dash, it seems that having the fans kick in early is not really that harmful except to my thighs. I suppose the thermostat makes sure the engine doesn't run too cool, yes?

Quote Originally Posted by RokRoland View Post
    Hello all,

I'd like some input on my issue with the fans on my '03 RSV. They've worked beautifully in the past, but for a while now they seem to kick in at 70 degrees C. Now, this is quite low, but the engine still reaches the usual operating temperature of 78-79 degrees.

I believe the culprit could be the sensor in the rear cylinder, which I've learned controls the fans. Upon looking at the workshop manual, replacing it seems like a quite straightforward task - remove left side fairing, unplug wires, unscrew sensor, apply loctite on new sensor, insert sensor and old gasket, connect wires and replace fairing. Finally, check coolant level is within range.

Now, I am interested whether the operation actually is that simple or whether I should budget lots of hours and a suitable space (as opposed to just doing it on the parking lot). Does anyone have any pointers or tips on how to carry out the surgery succesfully - or better yet, should I look elsewhere first?

Finally, going by the temp reading on the dash, it seems that having the fans kick in early is not really that harmful except to my thighs. I suppose the thermostat makes sure the engine doesn't run too cool, yes?
    the sensor that controls the fans is in the saucer shaped coolant connection on the left side, usually visible from the outside of the bike...I have the low temp fan switch which starts the fans at 190 degrees F and shuts them off at 180 degrees F. Sound like your fan switch is starting to go, order a new one from AF1..theyre cheap compared to what itll cost you if the fans stop working and you overheat the bike....

the fan switch is #17 in this diagram....

Brad B.

2006 ZX14 ***SOLD****
    2000 RSV Mille,***SOLD***

apriliaforum newb
    Thanks for the details, I feel more confident in taking this up now. Currently, in this arctic climate and low traffic densities, I'm not too worried about overheating my bike even if I flat out removed the fans unless I'd go looking for trouble in rush hour city traffic or keeping the bike running at extended stops at roadworks. Having said that I'll definitely take this up very soon.