Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Urgent help needed! My Falco is fuel incontinent!

apriliaforum expert go_modem_go's Avatar
    Not even all US bikes have that stuff - but many. Fuel Fart contraption was only needed in California.

For the US, there is a 49-state version without "charchoal fuel fart catcher tubing". But I can only presume that many bikes were shipped as CF-USA 50-State Cali versions to other parts of the USA. Maybe Aprilia got hold of a few hundred miles of cheap leftover tubes, and indiscrimently fitted them to most US export batches

apriliaforum expert ghostrider71's Avatar
    Yeah - I dunno what Carlos was thinking of with that one....he KNOWS better!

Dammit -- I didn't even THINK to replace these hoses when i was in the tank this winter doing the filter.
    Good thing I don't even LOOK at Ethanol blended fuels!!

Hmpf - guess I'll just have to wait for it to develop the incontinence issue on it's own!

To the OP:
    Check this thread --
    http://www.apriliaforum.com/forums/s...d.php?t=198585

Everything you need to know about how to tear-into and reassemble your fuel tank -- and don't forget to replace the hoses on the Pump AND the fuel filter while you're in there!! good insurance.

Pm me if you have any questions....just did mine this winter, and It's still fresh in memory.

gr
    Since it was highly recommended, I put THEGEEK on ignore and the forum IS a much nicer place!!

apriliaforum Junkie blindboypig's Avatar
    GR - How is it in Iowa, land of corn, you can still choose to buy non-ethanol while in Texas, land of oil wells and refineries, we're forced to buy 10% ethanol blends. Crazy, ain't it? I'd gladly pay $5 a gallon for REAL gasoline.

Quote Originally Posted by blindboypig View Post
    I'd gladly pay $5 a gallon for REAL gasoline.
    Come to Europe.

Well over $6/gallon almost everywhere, due to taxes. No matter if blended or not... It isn't here, if available, I stay WELL clear of that Ethanol crap (we sometimes get E5, E10 and E85 at some stations - but only as an option)!

At least we get proper Octane ratings: Fuels start with 95 RON Octane in most EU countries and is available up to 100 RON Octane. An equivalent range from 91-96 US Octane ratings ((R+M)/2). Due to smaller engines with higher compression rations fitted to most cars in Europe, I guess - they wouldn't run un US-spec regular fuel.

Current average price at the pumps in Germany (not the most expensive country in the EU for fuel!):

€1,474/Liter for 98 Octane Super (94 Octane US) - US$ 7,08/ US Gallon

€1,396/Liter for the lowest octane fuel, 95 (91 US) - US$ 6,70/ US Gallon

And that's with the Euro currency exchange at record lows... We had reached $9/Gallon before!

A lot of US bikes came with charconisters regardless of destination. My bike I picked up new in North Carolina had one. At the peak fo the firesale, I don't think that Aprilia cared...
    Where da booty at?

Thanx for all the advice!

We do have a lot of ethanol in the fuel here in Sweden. Normally between 5-10%. All stations must also carry E85 by law. Actually, I don't think there is any fuel here, no matter what octane, that are completly ethanol-free.

I'll just have to use up all the fuel left in there and then rip it apart. I gave it first aid by plugging the outlet from the tank so it won't spill its juices on the tarmac. One just have to keep it out of the rain so it doesn't get a lot of water stuck in the tank.

Sadly, we'll be getting that Ethanol crap all over the EU sooner or later. We are currently at an EU- mandated 5.75% ethanol content in all petrol fuels for street use (E5). Planned was a mandated 10% in 2008, but that was stopped and changed for more general targets, not linked to fuel types.

Not for enviro reasons - it's the agriculture lobby, they want more subsidies and guaranteed markets... I don't get Sweden - they have to import the stuff from 3rd World countries and Brasil, fostering Palm oil or sugar cane monoculture plantations in former virgin forest areas...

I have had issues with the crap in France (big agricultural lobby, they have mandated ethanol since a long time), where four of my bikes (old 1960's and 1970's bikes) are sitting idle most of the year.

Wouldn't start up after winter like before, because the ethanol blend is hygroscopic (sucks in water like mad!). And all the old rubber fuel lines in my old bikes lasted about 2-3 years max. after that crap was introduced quite a few years ago...

I'm using fuel storage additives now, but they don't prevent watering down the fuels over time.

See this post here - Micah's post about an RSVR with severe ethanol damage to the tank.

So if you replace the lines, make sure to use the most modern and recent automotive fuel lines. These are ethanol-resistant.

Funny seeing this, as I just came home from a week away last night to see and smell a major fuel leak around the base of my bird. Seems to have leaked down both sides of the bike but it was mostly dried up or down the drain which was close the the rear tire. Haven't gotten into it yet but after reading this and a search it could be a number of things. F-me !!!

On a side note I came into my house and turned down the air as I had it set hotter while away and the house became immersed in gas fumes and have not gone away yet though they have diminished some. Not a great way to sleep after a long and tiring drive. Hot and humid with windows open and gas fumes !

apriliaforum expert
    Quote Originally Posted by Lttlcheeze View Post
    These are the 2 "Plastic" coated lines inside the tank that run from the fuel cap down to around the fuel pump base. The coating deteriorates over time and they leak.
    Sorry to bump an ass old thread but is this the reason my falco is A. leaking fuel out the drain on the bottom with no visible leaks, and B. whenever I'm at a friends house and it rains I easily get a couple tablespoons of water in my tank. If it's in the rain for more than 8 hours (a day at work) then I pretty much have to drain the tank and refill to get it to run. (I've been dealing with this mystery since last summer and it's been driving me nuts!)

Second question: Those tubes look like they are a forged piece of plastic like the interior of the gas tank, am I supposed to just cut them off and replace with hoses? Last time I drained it I poured water in through the holes around the gas tank and it seemed to flow out the bottom just fine, but maybe the leak is slow enough that I didn't notice?

apriliaforum Junkie
    Quote Originally Posted by willpower101 View Post
    Sorry to bump an ass old thread but is this the reason my falco is A. leaking fuel out the drain on the bottom with no visible leaks, and B. whenever I'm at a friends house and it rains I easily get a couple tablespoons of water in my tank. If it's in the rain for more than 8 hours (a day at work) then I pretty much have to drain the tank and refill to get it to run. (I've been dealing with this mystery since last summer and it's been driving me nuts!)

Second question: Those tubes look like they are a forged piece of plastic like the interior of the gas tank, am I supposed to just cut them off and replace with hoses? Last time I drained it I poured water in through the holes around the gas tank and it seemed to flow out the bottom just fine, but maybe the leak is slow enough that I didn't notice?
    I've heard of people cutting them off, but it would be risky. You would need to cut, drill. and grind them flush and add small bulkheads. Another option is to see just how big the leak is and try and patch it with fuel resistant epoxy like the stuff from Caswell.

The rain not draining is due to the alloy nipple at the bottom of the tank cloging up. A good clean will fix it for a while, but it's likely to happen again. I drilled mine out to a bigger diameter and it's never clogged again.

The internal pipes are covered in the tank lining material as far as I can make out, have a look furhter up the thread, there's a useful link that should help.
    "I like to put a little silicone grease on the seals, too, to keep them looking young and fresh like a prom queen." - SoulDaddy

As far as I know the lines are some standard line with normal ends, just coated in the tank interior coating. I seem to remember seeing someone peeling the coating off and showing that. But I have no idea where that thread is, or what the lines are made of nor the fittings.

Sorry.
    '03 Falco Bought New on 4/6/07:
    Custom paint, Powder Coated RSV Swing arm, RSV Shock, Anodized Rear Sets, Ti Hardware, Anodized (Blue) Fork Caps, SL Carbon Cans, SL Carbon Chip, Custom Airbox w/ K&N Filter, Evo Clutch Slave Cyl., CF Front Sprocket Cover, Rear Hugger, & Chain Guard, GP Shifter, Tuono Rear Brake Master Cly., Evo Clutch Slave Cly., Evo Fender Eliminator, RSVR Mirrors (custom mounts), Custom Blue Dash, HID Headlight, Smoked Tail Light Lens, Integrated Turn Signals into Taillight, LEDs in Headlight & Taillight, LEDs Thru-out, SuperSprox +2 Rear Sprocket, Ariete Grips... (i'm sure there is more)

Bill

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12