Thread: Anyone know the thread size and pitch on the variator shaft?

Anyone know the thread size and pitch on the variator shaft?

...and I was in such a good mood....

There I was, merrilly going about my day adding bits and pieces to my new Factory and I decided to drop in some Dr Pulley sliders. Got out the ratchet gun and proceeded to undo the nut at the end of the variator shaft, like I've done a million times before on my old bike, except......

....the nut sort of shredded and stripped it's thread and part of the thread at the end of the shaft. I'm going to clean up the thread with a die, but I don't know what thread it is other than the fact the nut is 17mm. Any suggestions?

And is there a safer way than a rattle gun to get these nuts off? (I love getting my nuts off!!!)
    Go Vegan!

ASM - CBT - EFT - NVC

M - P - SIP

BOM - IMDB - NEWS - UFO

I & L

Silver 2007 SR50 R Factory

Haribolman has promoted SAFE RIDING for over 30 years.
    Life is precious. Be proactive and responsible.
    Always wear a helmet, gloves, jacket and safe footwear.

(This signature was approved by my legal representative)

I reject your reality, and substitute my own. CANADA
    Quote Originally Posted by Haribolman View Post
    ...and I was in such a good mood....

There I was, merrilly going about my day adding bits and pieces to my new Factory and I decided to drop in some Dr Pulley sliders. Got out the ratchet gun and proceeded to undo the nut at the end of the variator shaft, like I've done a million times before on my old bike, except......

....the nut sort of shredded and stripped it's thread and part of the thread at the end of the shaft. I'm going to clean up the thread with a die, but I don't know what thread it is other than the fact the nut is 17mm. Any suggestions?

And is there a safer way than a rattle gun to get these nuts off? (I love getting my nuts off!!!)
    Yeah... The Variator nut (at least on the Factories) is made of a very soft material and I've found WILL strip under a Impact wrench as it just turns way to fast...

I use a 32mm big-ass wrench (there is a "special" tool you can also purchase instead of a larger wrench) and a 17mm socket to remove the Variator nut.

I would REALLY try to get a Aprilia replacement for that nut (AP3TAN000060), but in the short term, it's a M12X1.25

The reason why the Variator nut is of a softer material is that it is far more preferred to have the nut strip away rather then the crankshaft... I would order in 2 so that you will have a back-up (just in case). For the most part, any nut you will find as a replacement will more then likely be of a harder material then the stock nut. Like I said, OK for the sort term, but I would replace it ASAP.

BTW, I had a similar experience, but in my case it was the Dealer that was using an impact gun to both spin the nut off AND on... not a good idea...

Tempus Fugit
    06 SR50 (Morini)/AIRSAL 70CC BBK/NGK BR9EIX/Top Speed-117KPH (GPS)!!
    Rear Rack & Top Case/Buzzetti Side stand/Aprilia Racing Shock W/STR8 65mmRiser/HGT Stretch Kit
    HGT PFI Kit/Malossi MHR Team II Pipe/All Polished Water Pump
    Black HGT Gen 3 Fuel Regulator/Stebel Magnum Horn/Glowshift Elite Gauge
    BING 26mm TBA/BGM Pro Reed Block & Pod Filter
    Polished Aluminum Varo W/Kick start/Pod Filter/HEL Brake Lines
    HGT Red Brake Levers/LED bulbs/BGM LED Tail Light
    Malossi Delta Clutch w/Blue springs/Red Contra spring & TC/MHR Full Circle Crank
    Malossi 15/40 Primary Gears & Multivar w/5gr Dr. Pulley Sliders/Kevlar Belt
    Michelin Pilot Sport 140/60 Rear tire w/Dyna Beads&TPMS Sensor

uh-oh.

When my cooling fan comes in, I'm going to reinstall my variator assembly.
    But it looks like it's got very little room and I need to actually squish my belt to fit everything on.

That's normal right? Even on the morini?

If not the impact wrench, did you buy the gear-teeth locking tool?
    SR50 R Factory / 2009 / Piaggio Purejet
    General
    Restrictions: Removed / Tires:
    Michelin Pilot Sport SC 130/60-13 (front and rear) w/ 2.0g dynabeads / Rider Weight: 56.7kg (125lbs)

Performance
    ECU: unknown Version and Mapping
    Spark: NGK ZMR7AP (gapped to approx. 0.037mm)

Exhaust: LeoVince GP, silencer removed
    Variator: Malossi Multivar 2008 w/ 6.0g DP sliders
    Contra Spring: Malossi Purple w/ Malossi Torsion Control + Stock Piaggio TC (clutch side).
    Clutch: Malossi Delta / Yellow Clutch Springs (7250 rpm engagement according to this table) / Wing Clutch Bell
    Reed Cage: Malossi VL13 (stuffer removed)

Status

- Clutch might still be engaging too soon? Too late? Not really sure?
    - Off-the-line lag is gone. woot.

Quote Originally Posted by Grenadiers View Post
    Yeah... The Variator nut (at least on the Factories) is made of a very soft material and I've found WILL strip under a Impact wrench as it just turns way to fast...

I use a 32mm big-ass wrench (there is a "special" tool you can also purchase instead of a larger wrench) and a 17mm socket to remove the Variator nut.

I would REALLY try to get a Aprilia replacement for that nut (AP3TAN000060), but in the short term, it's a M12X1.25

The reason why the Variator nut is of a softer material is that it is far more preferred to have the nut strip away rather then the crankshaft... I would order in 2 so that you will have a back-up (just in case). For the most part, any nut you will find as a replacement will more then likely be of a harder material then the stock nut. Like I said, OK for the sort term, but I would replace it ASAP.

BTW, I had a similar experience, but in my case it was the Dealer that was using an impact gun to both spin the nut off AND on... not a good idea...

Grenadiers, a big thanks for your helpful info. I intend to purchase the Aprilia tool to remove the nut in future. I don't want to risk this again!

Perhaps they use a softer nut in the later model bikes, because I never used to have this problem with my '02...
    Go Vegan!

ASM - CBT - EFT - NVC

M - P - SIP

BOM - IMDB - NEWS - UFO

I & L

I reject your reality, and substitute my own. CANADA
    Quote Originally Posted by Culverin View Post
    uh-oh.

When my cooling fan comes in, I'm going to reinstall my variator assembly.
    But it looks like it's got very little room and I need to actually squish my belt to fit everything on.

That's normal right? Even on the morini?

If not the impact wrench, did you buy the gear-teeth locking tool?
    The belt does get squished a wee bit, but not that much...

The Morini doesn't need/use the gear-tooth locking tool. We either use a big-ass 32mm wrench (cost of which is like over $35.00 at Cdn Tire!!!) or we invest in a 32mm box end tool made for the Morini to holding the Variator on our scoot (WAY cheaper)...

HERE is what the fool looks like for the Morini and HERE is what it looks like for the Piaggio... For those that want/need these tools, you can also order them from there too...

Tempus Fugit
    06 SR50 (Morini)/AIRSAL 70CC BBK/NGK BR9EIX/Top Speed-117KPH (GPS)!!
    Rear Rack & Top Case/Buzzetti Side stand/Aprilia Racing Shock W/STR8 65mmRiser/HGT Stretch Kit
    HGT PFI Kit/Malossi MHR Team II Pipe/All Polished Water Pump
    Black HGT Gen 3 Fuel Regulator/Stebel Magnum Horn/Glowshift Elite Gauge
    BING 26mm TBA/BGM Pro Reed Block & Pod Filter
    Polished Aluminum Varo W/Kick start/Pod Filter/HEL Brake Lines
    HGT Red Brake Levers/LED bulbs/BGM LED Tail Light
    Malossi Delta Clutch w/Blue springs/Red Contra spring & TC/MHR Full Circle Crank
    Malossi 15/40 Primary Gears & Multivar w/5gr Dr. Pulley Sliders/Kevlar Belt
    Michelin Pilot Sport 140/60 Rear tire w/Dyna Beads&TPMS Sensor

All is well that ends well!

I bought 3 new variator nuts from Aprilia, then recut the thread at the end of the variator shaft and hand tightened the new nut on using a 32mm open end spanner to hold the big nut. Used a drop of thread locker on the variator nut just in case. (Though I seem to recall being told not to a long time ago!!)

While I was at it, I also recut the thread on my '02 and fitted a new nut.

And now I've got the Dr Pulley Sliders installed on my new bike it has gained another couple of k's top speed...and at 500 rpm lower revs!! Cool!
    Go Vegan!

ASM - CBT - EFT - NVC

M - P - SIP

BOM - IMDB - NEWS - UFO

I & L

Aprilia Forum Moderator High Gain Tuning's Avatar
    There must have been damage on the threads of the shaft before you started taking it apart. I use nothing but an impact gun and have never damaged a nut coming off or going on.

With that said, you have to know the limitations of the nut and shaft and limits of your tools and always start nuts by hand to see that they will thread completely on without effort.

Quote Originally Posted by High-Gain SR50 View Post
    There must have been damage on the threads of the shaft before you started taking it apart. I use nothing but an impact gun and have never damaged a nut coming off or going on.

With that said, you have to know the limitations of the nut and shaft and limits of your tools and always start nuts by hand to see that they will thread completely on without effort.
    Well, I have always used an impact gun on my '02, but this was the first time I'd worked on my '07 Factory, and everything looked new and clean before I put the rattle gun on it. (In fact, the hex nuts holding the plastic variator cover were so tight, I thought maybe I was the first person to open up the cover...then I realised it must have been opened at some stage to remover the restrictor ring!)

Anyway, I've taken Grenadiers advice and will work by hand now...it's too risky for me otherwise!
    Go Vegan!

ASM - CBT - EFT - NVC

M - P - SIP

BOM - IMDB - NEWS - UFO

I & L