Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Beginners guide to Aprilia Rotax ownership

Beginners guide to Aprilia Rotax ownership

Since its spring, and a lot of new owners are gonna be asking questions, i decided to write this up...Please feel free to add anything to this thread and hopefully we will get it stickied at the top so owners can look at this for help with starting issues, battery drains, etc....

Beginners Guide to Aprilia Vtwin ownership:

1.Buy a Battery Tender straight away. These bikes drain batteries just sitting, so U need to keep them on a charger at all times when not being ridden. A weak battery not only makes it hard to start, but can damage the starter sprag clutch.

2.If you buy a new battery for your bike, fully charge it overnight before installing it. If you start using a battery that is only 80% charged, the battery will never be able to hold a full charge ever during its lifetime.

3.If you try and start the bike and it fails to start the first time, with the cold idle open all the way, then these bikes have a tendency to flood out. At this point, it's best to hold the throttle wide open and try to start it again. If she starts, let go of the throttle right away so it drops down to the fast idle. This will clear out the extra gas in the cylinders. If this doesn't work, leave the fast idle open and let the bike be for awhile. You are hoping the gas that is on the plugs now will evaporate. If it doesn't, then its new plug time.

4.If you are parking the bike over the winter, poor the correct amount of Stabil into the gas tank, then run the bike for a bit before storing it. This product keeps the fuel fresh, and prevents the injectors from getting clogged.

5.Perform the wiring mods. See this thread...
    http://www.apriliaforum.com/forums/s...ad.php?t=64758
    this mod alone will solve about 80% of your battery charging issues...

6.Read the majority of the threads in this thread

http://www.apriliaforum.com/forums/s...d.php?t=168509

these links to other threads will give you a good basic understanding of these bikes and their quirks....

7.Buy at least the Haynes manual online. This book can be bought on ebay or amazon all day long for approximately $30. Again, this book gives you a good understanding of how this bike operates and functions. Remember, this is an Italian bike with an Austrian motor, it isn't like the GSXR you use to own...

8.Download the Shop manual from online. This will supplement your knowledge of how these bikes work.

9.Ask questions! Most of us on this forum are here because we love these bikes and want to help make the ownership of your Aprilia a good experience. Don't become frustrated, we can help you, and these bikes are very simple to work on...
    Brad B.

2006 ZX14 ***SOLD****
    2000 RSV Mille,***SOLD***

Please add your knowledge to this thread, but if you have specific questions, create a new thread so we can help you individually...
    Brad B.

2006 ZX14 ***SOLD****

Have them "sticky" it

Hoh, Hum, another shitty day in paradise!

I'm trying, but hank is being his normal, "use the search function" self...LOL!!

hank, i am kidding!
    Brad B.

2006 ZX14 ***SOLD****

This is from hank:

"Some useful information to get you started with your new bike...

You undoubtedly have numerous questions regarding topics such as:

Common mods,
    Oil preferences,
    Gearing recommendations,
    Service,
    Fuel octane,
    Checking the oil level,
    EFI codes
    Common issues,
    Exhausts,
    Tires (brand, size, etc.)
    De-Restricting,
    Etc.

Since there have been many, many threads on all of these topics and more:

1. Spending some time just browsing around old threads is a great investment

2. The 'Search' function on this forum works, so it's always a good idea to try it before asking most questions

3. The Tech-Tips section in the upper toolbar is also an excellent source of general information.

To get you started:
    Dash Functions:
    http://www.apriliaforum.com/techtips...shfunction.htm

And here is a tip Sparky: Format the page so it fits on a single sheet of paper, print out several copies and put at least 2 in the rear seat hump of your bike.

If you happen to see another Priller owner on the road/track and they ask you about the dash functions, give them one of the extra copies.

An overview of how the Mille has changed since its introduction in 1998 and what makes an 'R' model different from the standard model and differences between the US & Rest of the World models:
    http://www.apriliaforum.com/forums/s...ead.php?t=2585

Checking the oil level (the Mille has a dry sump system) so you don't overfill the bike with oil:
    http://www.apriliaforum.com/forums/s...ad.php?t=82247
    Changing the oil:
    http://home.comcast.net/~sl_mille/

Dry Sump Pump Explained:
    http://www.apriliaforum.com/techtips/other/drysump.htm

Aprilia official owners use & maintenance manuals (all models/various language):
    http://www.serviceaprilia.com/public/lum/index.asp

Miscellaneous reference materials:
    http://aprilia.vladiks.com/aprilia_docs/

We are excited that you have discovered the Aprilia Mille – we really are… but before you go off like a school boy who just found his winky, realize that virtually everyone else here ALSO owns an Aprilia Mille (some own more than one), and many have owned them for many, many years…. so in your exuberance, try to realize a few basics:
    1. Your specific bike isn’t rare Cupcake… be it Yellow, Blue, Tri-Color, an Edwards Rep, etc., they made a lot of them… If you must show it off & you should, please post pictures in the Members Gallery section.
    2. The Corser Rep doesn’t exist except in the mind of a single guy from Ireland who isn’t very smart and refuses to believe he was ripped off.
    3. The Apriliaforum has very active members from approximately 60 countries, so please fill in your User Profile with your location and be aware that there are differences in the way people think (MPH v. KPH and degrees C v. degrees F). This is actually relevant because there are subtle differences between bikes depending on destination country (e.g. gearing, engine components and side stands).
    4. Same thing with various spellings and grammar (tyre v. tire). Knowing where you are will help with referrals to dealers, meet-up rides, etc.

Best of luck with your bike

And fear not, someone will be around shortly to give the real 'standard' Aprilia forum welcome... "
    Last edited by pdxmille; 08-24-2010 at 02:28 AM.
    Brad B.

2006 ZX14 ***SOLD****

and yes hank, I'm trying to fix all the broken links in the above post of yours...LOL!!
    Brad B.

2006 ZX14 ***SOLD****

Quote Originally Posted by pdxmille View Post
    and yes hank, I'm trying to fix all the broken links in the above post of yours...LOL!!
    I probably haven't posted that 'standard welcome post' in well over a year... maybe more since we have active members from around 60 countries now...

Still pretty funny though!

mkay, i think all the links are fixed now...let me know if any are still dead and I'll fix em...
    Brad B.

2006 ZX14 ***SOLD****

apriliaforum expert RSVRFACTORY's Avatar
    pdxmille---if this thread goes sticky...you wont be able to greet every newbie with a WAFO followed by this list of things to do to your "new" Ape...

you will be making the new recruits lazy to find the info themselves.....but it will free up some time to beat up Storm even more.....

***I think this was great info compiled into original the post and we really do appreciate your passion to keep the Aprilia running strong!!!!

you forgot to call them noobcakes

oh and what does the thing on the thing that makes the other thing work??? i cant find that in your thread... does it exsist??? im lost... HELP!

good write up btw, and ship my parts

<---- i finally changed my avatar pic to the one where it looks like im superbadass all close to the ground, but the best part was checking the side of my bike... 10 inch scratches from the ground... FACK!!!!!!
    Last edited by Brucetafer; 04-06-2010 at 03:33 AM.

LOL!!! yup, newbiecakes and WAFO will always be around, I just kinda wanted a thread we can copy and paste into our responses to these guys. I've been realizing I had been repeating myself so much when responding to some of the standard issues that most newbies have...
    Brad B.

2006 ZX14 ***SOLD****

Quote Originally Posted by pdxmille View Post
    I've been realizing I had been repeating myself so much when responding to some of the standard issues that most newbies have...
    Next you'll be telling them to use the 'Search' function.... Welcome to the Dark Side of The Force young Jedi...

HAHAAA!! NEVAR!!! I like talking too much to do that...lol!

hank-"I am your father Brad!"

pdxmille-"NNNNNOOOOOOOOOOOO!!!!!!!!!!!"
    Last edited by pdxmille; 04-06-2010 at 12:31 PM.
    Brad B.

2006 ZX14 ***SOLD****

apriliaforum prov-nov
    I think the search function works great but it is nice to have the majority of new owner questions in one thread. Thanks pdxmille

Quote Originally Posted by TRexRacing View Post
    All you need to know.

Open fuel cap.Is there fuel?Yes?Insert key,turn,push starter button.Hear glorious noise?yes?Ride.
    No?Fill with appropriate grade petrol and refer to above.
    So if there's gas in the tank and it doesn't start I should put gas in the tank and it will start? DAMN I knew it had to be something simple like that.

I'm on the app store! Check out Solitaire: Slide it's free!

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast