Page 6 of 13 FirstFirst ... 45678 ... LastLast

Thread: ECU derestriction, what is it?

So Ed, with all the talk about the Akra's, I just wanted to know if you have the Austin Racing GP hi slung slip on, do you need remapping or Race ecu, as it says on AR website no mapping needed

apriliaforum expert Phunky Phish's Avatar
    @42Simpson
    I think the AR website is directed at the UK customer not needing remapping with a slip-on. Most other markets will require a Race ECU or map flash (done by AF1, and a bloody good service they give too).
    Is America the only place where they add ethonol to the fuel? Do any other contries do this as well?

Also, if America runs richer due to this issue (I have read comments that they run up to 30% richer than UK bikes) does than mean UK bikes should get better MPG as they do not need to run as rich?

I am sure Ed will give you the correct information as they know far more than me, but the only way I am going to be happy to to get the bike on a dyno and get the AF ratio's checked.
    My mum used to say 'Be good. And if you can't be good, don't get caught!'
    My sponsor advert!

If the ecu gets sent away & updated with the race map, it will need tps etc relearned. However when I get the ecu back & reinstalled on the bike, can the bike be ridden to the shop to get the tps & throttle position etc relearned or do I need to trailer it in?
    Last edited by scott2ride; 03-26-2012 at 05:55 AM.
    ScottyDog

Official Aprilia Linkage Tester !

In The Garage

1. Tuono V4 1100 RF, 15/42, Austin Racing GP1RR 70mm pipe, Race ECU, heated grips, CRG Bar End mirrors, Hepco-Becker sports Rack with Givi box when touring, Baher Intercom, Nitrous kit, super charger, shitty Chinese folding levers & a flashy sticker that makes me faster...

2. Merc C63 Coupe 507 AMG (Currently in repair)

3. Toyota Prado VX SUV

Pretty sure it cant be ridden at all, as per Amauri in prev post

Hey Amauri or Ed... After getting the new ECU RACE upgrade the service manager at our local dealership is unsure what needs to be relearned on the ECU. (They are not very Aprilia Savvy)

I told him the TPS and the Handle self learn and maybe the Exhaust valve self learn. He wasn't sure what they were (Doh!) but seemed to think it would take about 1.5 hours.... which seems a joke to me.

So.... Does the Exhaust Valve need relearning? And what should I do if I currently have the cables to the exhaust valve disconnected? Do I need to reconnect or not worry about it?

Exactly what DOES need relearning?
    ScottyDog

In The Garage

1. Tuono V4 1100 RF, 15/42, Austin Racing GP1RR 70mm pipe, Race ECU, heated grips, CRG Bar End mirrors, Hepco-Becker sports Rack with Givi box when touring, Baher Intercom, Nitrous kit, super charger, shitty Chinese folding levers & a flashy sticker that makes me faster...

3. Toyota Prado VX SUV

^^^ May I suggest you take it to someone that knows what they are doing or at least get a timeframe on how long it should take from someone off the forum and tell your dealer to work to those timeframes.
    Screw getting reamed with labour costs that aren't warranted and letting someone tinker with your toy that doesn't really know what they are doing.........yikes!!!

d

just another Aprilia fanatic amauri's Avatar
    The exhaust valve is controlled by the dash, no need for "relearning" or re-connecting cables.

There are two adjusments or calibrations that need to be done with the Navigator after updating the ECU:
    1.“handle self-learning”
    2.“throttle self-learning with the diagnostic instrument”
    Never accept mediocrity, always demand competence.

Certified Aprilia Moto Service in Southern California
    Call me at 714 892-4056 for appointment

Dave Ward from Motoitalia in Oz installed the map. He has emailed & said 15-20min. What do you think Amauri?

I hope or dealer has the Navigator software etc...
    ScottyDog

In The Garage

3. Toyota Prado VX SUV

Max Lean Angle / Administrator Ed / AF1 Racing's Avatar
    Yeah 20 minutes tops including the smoke and coffee break

Quote Originally Posted by Ed / AF1 Racing View Post
    Yeah 20 minutes tops including the smoke and coffee break
    Hahaha
    ScottyDog

In The Garage

3. Toyota Prado VX SUV

apriliaforum Member
    Hey Scott, what was the turn around time for getting the ECU race maps installed from Motoitalia? And how much did they charge you for the pleasure?
    In The Garage

2012 Aprilia Tuono V4R
    2007 Suzuki GSXR1000 K7 Track Bike

Past Loves

2005 Aprilia RSVR 1000
    1999 Yamaha R1
    1998 Suzuki GSXR750
    1995 Kawasaki ZX9R
    1990 Suzuki GSXR1100
    1984 Kawasaki GPZ900R
    1983 Honda CB400N
    1982 Honda CM125

apriliaforum newb
    hi. sorry if this has been covered in one of the 6 pages, but Iam at work posting this question so i don't have time to read all 6 pages. but is it fully necessary to get the unlock code what are the pros and cons of getting it or not ?

Quote Originally Posted by nevada View Post
    hi. sorry if this has been covered in one of the 6 pages, but Iam at work posting this question so i don't have time to read all 6 pages. but is it fully necessary to get the unlock code what are the pros and cons of getting it or not ?
    If I'm not mistaken, the Race ECU is a must for US spec bikes whether be it with a slip on or full system. From what I've read, from the UK guys, it's not crucial with a slip on but a must with a full system.

With that said, i highly recommend getting it. It's worth it.

apriliaforum expert
    I just had my std exhaust replaced with an Akra Titanium slip-on.
    There was some exchange of e-mails between the my mechanic-local importer-Aprilia factory.
    According to info I received, lambda on std downpipes will adjust fuelling to suit the freer-flowing
    slip-on with the no-cat linkpipe so no map change is required.
    This is Finland so I donīt know if this applies to other countries as well.

just another Aprilia fanatic amauri's Avatar
    Your importer or mechanic is not being honest with you.

Ask your mechanic/importer to print Aprilia Tech Bulletin # 022-2009 and show it to you.
    That document outlines Aprilia's official recommendation on exhausts and maps, it applies to all markets worldwide.
    Never accept mediocrity, always demand competence.

Certified Aprilia Moto Service in Southern California
    Call me at 714 892-4056 for appointment

Page 6 of 13 FirstFirst ... 45678 ... LastLast