Page 4 of 13 FirstFirst ... 23456 ... LastLast

Thread: ECU derestriction, what is it?

apriliaforum newb
    Ok thanks guys for helping

Talking RSV4 RACE map

I also just had my ECU updated with the Akro Race map and have noticed a good bit of difference. Especially in the bottom end grunt. Its just sick. I can even tell a difference in the sound it makes. It just sounds meaner now. I will have full dyno details soon. So far I installed a Bazzaz and got 144hp with their own map. Then Curt Jordan of Jordan Engineering tuned my Bazzaz to make 149hp and then 156hp but my bike was getting 18 MPG on the highway!!! I have a long trip to work so this was no good for me. I since have removed the Bazzaz Fi-TC with AFM and bar switch and asking $500 for the whole setup if anyone is looking for one. Then Curt Jordan had an old friend that used to make race pipes for Muzzy build me a 1lb race pipe for the RSV4. Now with this new lightweight race pipe its CRAZY loud and only good for race tracks IMO but the bike then dyno'ed at 156hp on the bikes STOCK map. I now have the slip-on Akro, stock pipe and 1lb race pipe with the Race Map installed and hoping to get a new dyno run mid next week. I can't wait to see what the Race map difference is. I'm guessing like 162hp or so.
    So if anyone wants the full Bazzaz Fi-Tc feel free to hit me up at 210-771-6675. I also have a short lil GPR race pipe for sale as well. Its the dual shotgun looking one. I used it a few times but its just too loud for my neighborhood. I paid $450 for it but Ill sell it for $200!

going backwards

If you live near Monterey, you have to consider putting the stock pipe back on if you want to track at Laguna with it's 92db limit so...

if you have an Akra slip-on and ECU derestricted, it sounds like either you buy a stock ECU to use with the stock pipe or forget Laguna

If there's a different way around this, let me know. I already bought the Akra slip-on.
    potere - italian for power
    have M1 permit, will travel

Does the race ecu work with any after market slip-on? I ask because I will be taking delivery of a Tuono V4 next month and don't like the look of the Akra or Leo slip-ons and am considering a Werkes slip-on as it is much shorter and I prefer this look and I love the sound as well.
    I must say that I am most disappointed with Aprilia for forcing us to pony up a stack of cash to buy a race ecu to run an after market slip-on. I don't mind paying the dealer a reasonable amount to reflash my ecu but having to buy a race ecu to run an after market slip-on is tantamount to extortion IMO. I hate being extorted! Just my 2 cents.

Yes the Race ECU is specific to after market slip ons.
    2010 RSV4R track bike
    -----------------------
    K+N Race Filter | Racers Edge Fairings | Apex riser adjustable clipons | AR GP2 Slip-On | Bazzaz Z-Fi TC QS | ASV Shorty Levers| Puig Wind Screen | TechSpec Tank Grips | Gilles Tooling Gear Shifter Support | GB Racing Clutch and engine Covers | Woodcraft rearsets | Starlane DaVinci S Dash | STM Flyhammer Switchgear |

Quote Originally Posted by potere View Post
    If you live near Monterey, you have to consider putting the stock pipe back on if you want to track at Laguna with it's 92db limit so...

if you have an Akra slip-on and ECU derestricted, it sounds like either you buy a stock ECU to use with the stock pipe or forget Laguna

If there's a different way around this, let me know. I already bought the Akra slip-on.
    How does that work? The stock pipe is homologated at more than 92db. I'm pretty sure the badge on the headstock says 102/105db.
    2012 KTM 300EXC Six Days
    2011 KTM 690 Duke R
    2011 Aprilia RSV4 Factory APRC
    2008 Ducati Hypermotard 1100S
    2007 Honda CBR600RR

apriliaforum Junkie
    There's a track close to where I live that's really strict on noise and a lot of the modern road legal bikes in stock form don't pass their noise restrictions.

Quote Originally Posted by swannie007 View Post
    Does the race ecu work with any after market slip-on? I ask because I will be taking delivery of a Tuono V4 next month and don't like the look of the Akra or Leo slip-ons and am considering a Werkes slip-on as it is much shorter and I prefer this look and I love the sound as well.
    I must say that I am most disappointed with Aprilia for forcing us to pony up a stack of cash to buy a race ecu to run an after market slip-on. I don't mind paying the dealer a reasonable amount to reflash my ecu but having to buy a race ecu to run an after market slip-on is tantamount to extortion IMO. I hate being extorted! Just my 2 cents.
    It's not just Aprilia but Ducati too. Luckily we aren't stuck with the OEM race ECU with the Ducati (The MV too) because of the fine folks at Microtec. http://www.microtec.cc/cms/en/compon...ent/article/18

As for the noise restriction that's why I went with the GP2 exhaust. With the GP2 you can buy and install different size baffles for both the link pipe and Can to quiet it down............. or not, depending on the track and or your local LEO.
    2011 KTM 990 Adventure ( Highly Modified)
    2010 RSV4 Factory ( Highly Modified)
    2010 Ducati 1198S (Highly Modified)
    2000 FLHRCI (Sleeper)

apriliaforum expert
    Good FYI from Amauri about retaining unlock codes for ECU.

http://www.apriliaforum.com/forums/s...&postcount=412

apriliaforum prov-nov
    I just put an after market slip on myself two years ago, and its run fine. A bit louder and raspier, and thats all I wanted.

My Aprilia dealer told me they would give me a 2011 remap for $50 bucks on my 2010 RSV4 but if I wanted to get an unlock code or a race ECU that they would no longer honour my warranty on the bike .
    Guess I'll wait for one more year on Engine mods

apriliaforum expert
    You might be able to get the dealer to remap your 2010 with the latest 2011 stock map as part of a warranty claim. The latest 2011 map is supposed to revise the sensitivity to the tip over sensor, so it might be something that they can charge Aprilia for instead of you. I guess it depends how much the dealer is willing to help you out.

The dealer would not be able to flash your ecu to race spec unless you have a valid race ecu unlock code from Aprilia or if you got af1 to flash it for you.

Hello guys,

I was running a Akra slip on with Race ECU on my bike, but I had to put back my stock exhaust for the time being.

Was wondering, will there be any adverse effects of running the race ecu with stock exhaust? Will be it alright?

Thanks.

apriliaforum expert
    You run the risk of fouling or burning the catalytic convertor located inside the stock muffler. The stock ecu cuts fuel delivery when throttle is closed to preserve the convertor. The race ecu doesn't.

Quote Originally Posted by Rspec99 View Post
    You run the risk of fouling or burning the catalytic convertor located inside the stock muffler. The stock ecu cuts fuel delivery when throttle is closed to preserve the convertor. The race ecu doesn't.
    That doesn't sound good... Hmmm.... It's going to be a hassle if i have to revert to stock mapping... I don't use my bike everyday, now thought temp keep the race ecu on the bike while i sort out the paperwork for my akra slip on to be street legal...

If the cat converter gets screwed up, bike becomes louder is it? Doesn't pass normal sound levels?

Page 4 of 13 FirstFirst ... 23456 ... LastLast