Page 3 of 13 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: ECU derestriction, what is it?

Quote Originally Posted by quattro View Post
    i thought popping sounds great when engine braking...
    Anyway, Do you "feel" a significant improvment in terms of torque/pull with the akrap slip-on and derestricted map?

thanks!
    it sounds good, yeah! I still have the cat link pipe though and I imagine it'd be even better with the straight through (Steve/AF1/anyone, is it possible to get a straight through on its own?)

as for feel... I do remember thinking there was a slight improvement with the akra and v1 map, but I don't remember what it was! (duh) the v2 map improved throttle response for sure - it definitely feels better than the v1. Power wise I haven't noticed any difference that I wouldn't otherwise put down to the placebo effect, but that's not to say there isn't one.

apriliaforum prov-nov
    Quote Originally Posted by wfo View Post
    it sounds good, yeah! I still have the cat link pipe though and I imagine it'd be even better with the straight through (Steve/AF1/anyone, is it possible to get a straight through on its own?)

as for feel... I do remember thinking there was a slight improvement with the akra and v1 map, but I don't remember what it was! (duh) the v2 map improved throttle response for sure - it definitely feels better than the v1. Power wise I haven't noticed any difference that I wouldn't otherwise put down to the placebo effect, but that's not to say there isn't one.
    Just got my ECU reflashed with the updated map. Fix a EVO2 slip-on and my findings of pooping is consistent with yours. It is easy to reproduce the popping especially after i throttle hard and slamed shut, followed by deceleration.Still love the sound!(warns drivers of your approach, kind of a improve safety , i guess)

Did some reading and realise, it is due to the ECU injecting air (like a secondary air valve) to give unburnt HC (hydroCarbon or simply fuel) a 2nd chance to burn/combust in the exhaust before going out to the environment. This happens when the O2 sensor feedbacks to the ECU that the engine is experiencing rich burnt.Does not affect engine performance since it is a "after treatment" in the exhaust stream.

Whats the objective? yep, to bring down HC which togather with the CO and Nox are pollutants.CO2 is being closing watch too.

Quote Originally Posted by darrenb View Post
    I have heard the mapping isnt that different. I put an after market LeoVince muffler on for a bit of sound and it hasnt effected the performance at all - at least not enough to notice. Why bother paying $ for ECU.
    That is what I thought also. However, after installing the race ECU with the latest map from AF1, and the Austin V2 slip-on, the bike has made an impressive improvement, especially when riding in the mid-range. I did not expect the race ECU to make much of a difference, but it noticeably improves the feeling of the bike...the raw power seems to be released smoother, with more grunt (like a real racebike). If you think your RSV4 is good now, wait until you install the race ECU...it gets much better!

Many thanks to AF1 for sending the ECU with the updated map so quickly, especially in the holiday season. And many more thanks to Amauri for taking time out of his schedule to help me install the ECU, and perform the learning...I would not feel comfortable taking my bike anywhere else

Quote Originally Posted by Ed / AF1 Racing View Post
    its $750 for the ECU not $2000....its a complete ECU in its metal case....that race ECU can be sold later to someone else and used, it has value to the next owner. probably fetch $500-650 on the used market.

buy one of the factory Aprilia/Akra systems and its included....

look how Ducati does it.....same way as aprilia just way more expensive.
    I'm surprised at AF1 defending Aprilia on this, quite frankly. OK, so the $800 gets you a whole ECU - but even if you take the "cheap option" of the $880 kit with the Leo slip on plus air filter plus derestricting your ECU, you are effectively paying $330 for the derestriction code.

By contrast, the RSVRs have map 2 ready to go and you just needed your dealer to spend a little time with the Axone switching.

This looks like a backward step into cynical business practices to me - and the fact that Ducati also does it is not an excuse - it's just confirmation of my view.
    The Garage:

2014 RSV4 Factory.

1989 Porsche 944 Turbo (variable boost, track suspension, 928 discs, Carrera Cup 2 rims, etc - my track day toy)

2010 Commodore SSV

Previous Aprilias: 2010 RSV4 Factory (Killed by SUV). 2006 RSVR Factory (sold). 2003 RSV (sold)

Just got my ECU reflashed with the updated map. Fix a EVO2 slip-on and my findings of pooping is consistent with yours. It is easy to reproduce the popping especially after i throttle hard and slamed shut, followed by deceleration.Still love the sound!(warns drivers of your approach, kind of a improve safety , i guess)

Did some reading and realise, it is due to the ECU injecting air (like a secondary air valve) to give unburnt HC (hydroCarbon or simply fuel) a 2nd chance to burn/combust in the exhaust before going out to the environment. This happens when the O2 sensor feedbacks to the ECU that the engine is experiencing rich burnt.Does not affect engine performance since it is a "after treatment" in the exhaust stream.

Whats the objective? yep, to bring down HC which togather with the CO and Nox are pollutants.CO2 is being closing watch too.
    Hi Quattro, just a quick question..you reflashed your ECU in Spore?
    If that is true, do you mind helping me with the re-flash when the time comes?
    I'm from KL..thx, pai
    Last edited by pai69; 12-10-2010 at 01:45 AM. Reason: spelling mistake

apriliaforum prov-nov
    Quote Originally Posted by pai69 View Post
    Hi Quattro, just a quick question..you reflashed your ECU in Spore?
    If that is true, do you mind helping me with the re-flash when the time comes?
    I'm from KL..thx, pai
    Hi if you made it to Singapore, just contact
    6396 0230
    6396 0231

and look for Gabriel, he will have the tools to flash the updated maps.

Shop add:
    1 Kaki Bukit Ave 6 #02-60
    AutoBay@Kaki Bukit
    Singapore

Cheers!

thx for the info...enjoy ur ride
    rgds, pai

apriliaforum newb

second hand bike

hi all,
    I'm looking for a second hand factory with the akra exhaust and remap, is there any way i can tell if it has had the ecu done? i.e any changes in the display on the clocks or something? cheers.

apriliaforum Junkie
    Quote Originally Posted by crustysphinkter View Post
    hi all,
    I'm looking for a second hand factory with the akra exhaust and remap, is there any way i can tell if it has had the ecu done? i.e any changes in the display on the clocks or something? cheers.
    It will have the word " RACE " in the instrument cluster.

apriliaforum newb
    Quote Originally Posted by super8neon View Post
    It will have the word " RACE " in the instrument cluster.
    Ta
    crusty

Can i get the race map installed and still use the stk pipe ? I plan on getting the austin gp but not right now . Not enough funds to do everything @ once ..

No u shouldn't. I have been advised that leave it as it is until u install the pipe. U get no gains from installing the race map with a stock exhaust.
    2010 RSV4R track bike
    -----------------------
    K+N Race Filter | Racers Edge Fairings | Apex riser adjustable clipons | AR GP2 Slip-On | Bazzaz Z-Fi TC QS | ASV Shorty Levers| Puig Wind Screen | TechSpec Tank Grips | Gilles Tooling Gear Shifter Support | GB Racing Clutch and engine Covers | Woodcraft rearsets | Starlane DaVinci S Dash | STM Flyhammer Switchgear |

apriliaforum newb
    is it bad for the engine to ride the bike with akra fullsystem without the race ecu ? does it harm the engine or not ?

apriliaforum Junkie
    Quote Originally Posted by mohammed87 View Post
    is it bad for the engine to ride the bike with akra fullsystem without the race ecu ? does it harm the engine or not ?
    I suggest reading the sticky thread at the top of this very forum:

http://www.apriliaforum.com/forums/s...d.php?t=220863

Quote Originally Posted by mohammed87 View Post
    Yes it does as it runs very lean. And hence will do damage to ur valves etc. So do not not run the pipe without the map it WILL cause damage.
    2010 RSV4R track bike
    -----------------------
    K+N Race Filter | Racers Edge Fairings | Apex riser adjustable clipons | AR GP2 Slip-On | Bazzaz Z-Fi TC QS | ASV Shorty Levers| Puig Wind Screen | TechSpec Tank Grips | Gilles Tooling Gear Shifter Support | GB Racing Clutch and engine Covers | Woodcraft rearsets | Starlane DaVinci S Dash | STM Flyhammer Switchgear |

Page 3 of 13 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast