Page 2 of 13 FirstFirst 123412 ... LastLast

Thread: ECU derestriction, what is it?

apriliaforum expert
    Very informative post! Thanks Amauri!

just another Aprilia fanatic amauri's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by bartho View Post
    What it means derestriction?
    In France and Belgium the bike is sold with 75 Kw(100 Hp) power.
    This means the ecu is restricted to this limit. The dealer can put 182 Hp via the navigator(axone) in to the bike by taking away the restriction in the ECUYou can see the restriction on the dash.
    Is it that what you mean?
    Bartho,

I've heard of this limited power restriction on the RSV2 bikes meant for the French market. They had a mechanical stop on the throttle linkage that prevented 100% throttle openning.

Not sure how it is on the V4 but I imagine it works with software to keep it from openning all the way.
    Hopefully one of the French techs will be able to post some more info on this.
    Never accept mediocrity, always demand competence.

Certified Aprilia Moto Service in Southern California
    Call me at 714 892-4056 for appointment

French bikes are limited to 78 Kw by law.

To remove the limitation, the dealer uses the Axone (no need of mechanical action).

If you buy the "after market ECU" (with maps for akros, leos ...) in France, it comes with the same 78 kw limitation, so the dealer need to use the Axone to void it.
    2010 White RSV4-R
    öhlins fork
    TTX36 öhlins rear shock
    R&G Racing fork sliders and swingarm cotton reels
    Cruciata track bodywork
    Pro Fiber carbon-Kevlar frame & swing arm cover
    Pro Fiber carbon-Kevlar clutch & stator cover
    15x41 sprockets
    Accossato quick action throttle
    TWM clutch & brake levers
    Blue OZ Wheels
    Decals by CKruzel

Previous Aprilia bikes
    2004 black RSV R Factory
    2000 SL Falco

http://www.rsvfactory.ovh.org

so, does anyone have a dyno map of how the bike with a race mapped akra slip on compares to one without? it would be good to see the exact difference across the range, delivered by the map.

Quote Originally Posted by Poussin View Post
    French bikes are limited to 78 Kw by law.

To remove the limitation, the dealer uses the Axone (no need of mechanical action).

If you buy the "after market ECU" (with maps for akros, leos ...) in France, it comes with the same 78 kw limitation, so the dealer need to use the Axone to void it.
    Poussin, do a lot of French riders ignore the law or does everyone on sport bikes just track them? I've been reading that the EU will take a decision on having one rule in all countries (like they did with the license). At the moment it looks like they might get France to remove the limit rather than impose it on everyone else. I really can't see the Spanish ever abiding by that rule.

Quote Originally Posted by Silas View Post
    Poussin, do a lot of French riders ignore the law or does everyone on sport bikes just track them?
    yes, a lot of riders set the bikes free. But the fines (for the dealer and the owner) have become very high. So it seems that more and more riders let the bikes with the 78 kw limitation. More and more dealers refuse to free the bikes unless you can show a track license.

Quote Originally Posted by Silas View Post
    I've been reading that the EU will take a decision on having one rule in all countries (like they did with the license). At the moment it looks like they might get France to remove the limit rather than impose it on everyone else.
    The French law is contrary to the EU rules, and since many years, the EU try to brake this law, but the French government find arguments to keep the law.
    2010 White RSV4-R
    öhlins fork
    TTX36 öhlins rear shock
    R&G Racing fork sliders and swingarm cotton reels
    Cruciata track bodywork
    Pro Fiber carbon-Kevlar frame & swing arm cover
    Pro Fiber carbon-Kevlar clutch & stator cover
    15x41 sprockets
    Accossato quick action throttle
    TWM clutch & brake levers
    Blue OZ Wheels
    Decals by CKruzel

Previous Aprilia bikes
    2004 black RSV R Factory
    2000 SL Falco

http://www.rsvfactory.ovh.org

apriliaforum prov-nov
    I have heard the mapping isnt that different. I put an after market LeoVince muffler on for a bit of sound and it hasnt effected the performance at all - at least not enough to notice. Why bother paying $ for ECU.

apriliaforum Member Resurrection's Avatar
    I'm also running the Leo and was hoping the stock ECU would self adjust as my dealer stated. But I can tell there's a difference, backfiring being the main giveaway, and even if it does adjust air/fuel slightly I don't think it will ever be optimal for an aftermarket pipe. I hate spending the money for a race ecu but since I want the bike to "be all it can be", I ordered it.
    B4-06 RSV Factory
    After- RSV4R

I have a Leo EVO II slip on which I ran for a few days w/ baffle in. First chance I had, I put the bike on the dyno to run a/f tests at various static engine speeds... the bike was sitting around 15:1 A/F at ~5k RPM @ 15% throttle (basically, my commuting speed and throttle position). The bike was ok in terms of A/F at WOT, but way lean at certain smaller throttle openings and lower RPM, which is what Ed from AF1 warned me about. Also, the fueling felt strange - not as good as w/ the stock system below 7k.

I decided to not taking any chances with my motor - I put the stock pipe back on and will pick up an ECU when $ allows.
    CURRENT BIKE
    2013 Multistrada S Touring
    2004 Tuono Factory

I get a bit of popping with the Akra slip-on and V2 ECU map - is this normal?

Apriliaforum.com Administrator Jon / AF1 Racing's Avatar

RSV4 Race ECU

We have tested the bike on the dyno with a slip-on and full system with stock mapping. The bike is dangerously lean and you risk damage to your engine. This damage would NOT be covered under warranty, because the aftermarket pipe without proper mapping would be responsible.

For those with questions about getting RSV4 Race mapping vs. the Race ECU, please contact me. I will be happy to describe the process and options.

jon@af1racing.com
    Jon Francis
    AF1 Racing Austin
    Aprilia / Vespa / Piaggio / Moto Guzzi / Zero Electric Motorcycles
    9900 N. Interstate 35
    Austin, TX 78753

Phone: 512-459-3966 (DYNO)
    fax 512-482-8319

www.af1racingaustin.com
    www.af1racing.com www.apriliaforum.com
    info@af1racing.com info@apriliaforum.com

My impression so far is that the race ecu+slip-on is nearly a must-do for this bike.

At idle with the Leo sans db-killer, it has a staccato resonance which reminds me a bit of a helicopter flying at a distance, and it also has a noticeable vibration at idle which kind of pulses, like a cat purring in the form of a sportbike. I know it probably sounds weird, but it really is like that.

The bike is loud w/o the removable baffle, but it's not obscene when cruising below 6k RPM. It's definitely not any louder than a friend's 2000,5 Mille R w/ the Aprilia Akra Ti system. With the db-killer installed it's quieter than stock.

As far as power delivery, the bike will now lope along at below 3k RPM, but it's still happiest at 4k+. The engine builds power more effectively (and aggressively) from 4k rpm. Power above 7k feels similar, with a bit more power on-tap, and it seems to make power through the top of the rev range like it's breathing a bit better. Overall, the bike's power delivery seems more seamless from 4000 rpm on up, and it seems to rev through that range more quickly, especially in the lower gears.

I only have limited totals for fuel economy so far, but from the Airport Way Sharis to Zig Zag, by way of Bull Run (low-medium speed switchbacks w/ lows of elevation change), the bike averaged ~27mpg (actual), with several miles of stop and go riding at the beginning, but that's not a fair sample size because the bike only took 2.27g when I refueled.

My guess is that fuel consumption is reasonably close to the stock map if you're not hammering it, but I need to log more miles to be sure.
    CURRENT BIKE
    2013 Multistrada S Touring
    2004 Tuono Factory

apriliaforum prov-nov
    does anybody make either a dyno test or seat-of-his-pants test to judge how much improvement there is from stock to aprilia map+ aprilia-direct akrap full system?

i'm still contemplating if to spend the extra $$$for the system + map? ..but no concrete information to make decision...

Any inputs will be much apreciated.

Sold of my ducati s4rs, but while i have it, ducati sells termi and ecu by providing torque/power curve improvement published. it allows me to decide better if to spend the money, i did get the system then.Of course there is a gamble but at least curves are provided for references.

Why can't aprilia do the same?i always like going for oem stuff (system/map) because they spent hours on testing/lifetime degradation to failure/software adjustment/optimization...bla..bla bla..

Aftermarket system, do they spent enough time testing or those of us who bought them are actually the "test engineer/s" testing them at our own risk......(no warrantty, engine failure at your risk,lifetime reduction)

testing = $$$,maybe that's why it cost much if from oem...
    Last edited by quattro; 10-17-2010 at 09:46 AM.

just another Aprilia fanatic amauri's Avatar
    Dyno readings on this bike are not accurate, you can see that when you start reading the various magazine tests showing vast differences in what they've recorded.

The ride-by-wire system determines how much power to deliver at any given situation based on torque demands.

Someone holding the throttle 100% open on the Dyno doesn't necessarily mean that the ECU is going to release 100% power.

Here is one example of Dyno runs with multiple configurations that resulted in very little change:
    http://www.apriliaforum.com/forums/s...d.php?t=205679
    Never accept mediocrity, always demand competence.

Certified Aprilia Moto Service in Southern California
    Call me at 714 892-4056 for appointment

apriliaforum prov-nov
    Quote Originally Posted by wfo View Post
    I get a bit of popping with the Akra slip-on and V2 ECU map - is this normal?
    i thought popping sounds great when engine braking...
    Anyway, Do you "feel" a significant improvment in terms of torque/pull with the akrap slip-on and derestricted map?

thanks!

Page 2 of 13 FirstFirst 123412 ... LastLast