Page 13 of 13 FirstFirst ... 3111213

Thread: ECU derestriction, what is it?

apriliaforum prov-nov Corsoster's Avatar
    Gents,

I bought a 12' R version from a private party that had 2013 mapping done by AF1. Wondering if there is anything else I can do to get better performance, short of getting a pipe?

Thanks...

Finally fitted a Race ECU to my 14 Factory, did'nt know if it would make a big difference to a UK bike, well it certainly seems to have done, mine always felt a bit sluggish below 6k rpm and the throttle always seemed a bit slow to respond.

Fitted, calibrated and took it out for a quick ride, seems to pick up from low revs a lot quicker, throttle response is improved, seems to be little or no engine braking now, which nearly caught me out at the first corner, it is a VERY rich map though, the bike is popping and banging on the over run and thats with the secodary air pipe disconnected, i have a PCV and Auto tune already fitted, so it will be interesting to see what the AT does now, i imagine a lot of minus values in the trim tables as it tries to bring the fuel down to 13.2

Well worth it though
    2014 RSV4 Factory ABS
    SC Project GP
    PCV,SFM,AT
    Race ECU

Quote Originally Posted by NixK7 View Post
    Finally fitted a Race ECU to my 14 Factory, did'nt know if it would make a big difference to a UK bike, well it certainly seems to have done, mine always felt a bit sluggish below 6k rpm and the throttle always seemed a bit slow to respond.

Fitted, calibrated and took it out for a quick ride, seems to pick up from low revs a lot quicker, throttle response is improved, seems to be little or no engine braking now, which nearly caught me out at the first corner, it is a VERY rich map though, the bike is popping and banging on the over run and thats with the secodary air pipe disconnected, i have a PCV and Auto tune already fitted, so it will be interesting to see what the AT does now, i imagine a lot of minus values in the trim tables as it tries to bring the fuel down to 13.2

Well worth it though
    Hi, Nix. Any update on the PCV/Autotune combo with the race ECU? I have the race ecu on my '13 Factory, and thinking of getting Gabro to give it a tweak, eg traction control and fuelling. I realise the fuelling will not be set for my particular machine, tho'. Hope you guys are doing ok up there in Carlisle, I saw some pretty bad pictures on the news.

Max Lean Angle / Administrator Ed / AF1 Racing's Avatar
    our race flash service now on sale thru the end of the year. Save $50

We close Dec 22-Jan 4th for Christmas, so get yours ordered now. You can send it before we close or wait until after.

http://www.af1racing.com/store/Scrip...dproduct=38289

So exhausts made by Austin racing and Sc project don't have ecu unlock codes right? This means if I went with one of those I'd need to get the Race ECU for it work as I'm understanding. Would the race ecu render my bike illegal for street use? or is there a race ecu/mapping that is still street legal??

apriliaforum expert
    The race Ecu is labelled for off road use only, I believe. But there's are thousands running around on the street with it. I think even places that smog test it will still pass.

apriliaforum expert surfmonster's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Macstheking View Post
    So exhausts made by Austin racing and Sc project don't have ecu unlock codes right? This means if I went with one of those I'd need to get the Race ECU for it work as I'm understanding. Would the race ecu render my bike illegal for street use? or is there a race ecu/mapping that is still street legal??
    With or without race ecu the catless exhaust alone is illegal for street use. Race ecu may not be illegal (if the bike passes all emission tests to the fed standard with race ecu and oem exhaust with cat coverter, which you should not have one bike together), but manufacturer designates race ecu as "race use only", which makes it illegal for street use in theory.

Bottom line is this: any modification of oem emission control systems is not legal on a street vehicle.

apriliaforum newb
    Hi Amauri, I have fitted an after market pipe to my RSV4 RF but not yet the race ECU, the local dealer has completed a Fuel Map upgrade to suit exhaust and a computer diagnosis check, is this good enough or should I still get the race ECU ? or should I put the standard pipe back on in the meantime ? I have much respect for your knowledge and gladly take your advice.

Quote Originally Posted by NeilNeil53 View Post
    Hi Amauri, I have fitted an after market pipe to my RSV4 RF but not yet the race ECU, the local dealer has completed a Fuel Map upgrade to suit exhaust and a computer diagnosis check, is this good enough or should I still get the race ECU ? or should I put the standard pipe back on in the meantime ? I have much respect for your knowledge and gladly take your advice.
    Hey Neil; all this info is in this thread! First, if you have an after market pipe you should have the RACE ECU or the Stock ECU unlocked & Race mapped.
    To know if the dealer has done the unlock & Race mapping is easy, you will have the word RACE permanently on your dash.
    The only way your dealer is going to be able to unlock the Race map in your stock ECU is if you purchased an Akrapovic slip-on or full exhaust from Aprilia which gives access to the unlock code.
    If you didn't purchase your pipe thru Aprilia & it doesn't say RACE on your dash, then you should get the RACE ECU; otherwise you risk long term engine damage from running too lean A/F.
    That help dude?
    2015(16) RSV4 RR Ascari Black 201HP

apriliaforum prov-nov
    Hey do we know if anyone has made any headway in the area of reflashing/remapping the factory ECU for fueling? In my case- I would be speaking specifically to the more late model 2016 Rsv4 RF model bike ECU that I do not wish to change out entirely to a RACE ecu set-up, but merely have remapped or flashed for fueling perimeters only.

apriliaforum expert
    Quote Originally Posted by PK1 View Post
    Hey do we know if anyone has made any headway in the area of reflashing/remapping the factory ECU for fueling? In my case- I would be speaking specifically to the more late model 2016 Rsv4 RF model bike ECU that I do not wish to change out entirely to a RACE ecu set-up, but merely have remapped or flashed for fueling perimeters only.
    Tomik and Gabro

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

apriliaforum prov-nov
    Yeah after now having ridden my 2016 RF with basic Oval Slip-On and factory ECu for a few months I am pleased overall with everything. The sound wonderful, performance great, responsive, little to no flat-spots outside of 3200 rpm etc- All good. I am still interested in a ecu remapping however if only to increase the triggering of the fan start to start a bit earlier. It seems currently, under the factory perimeters to allow the engine temperature to rise up to the neighborhood of 200-212*F before the fans truly kick in.

If anyone has any insights on this please let me know, but it would in my mind be preferable to see the fans kick-on and get started quite a bit earlier then that.

PK

apriliaforum expert
    Quote Originally Posted by PK1 View Post
    Yeah after now having ridden my 2016 RF with basic Oval Slip-On and factory ECu for a few months I am pleased overall with everything. The sound wonderful, performance great, responsive, little to no flat-spots outside of 3200 rpm etc- All good. I am still interested in a ecu remapping however if only to increase the triggering of the fan start to start a bit earlier. It seems currently, under the factory perimeters to allow the engine temperature to rise up to the neighborhood of 200-212*F before the fans truly kick in.

If anyone has any insights on this please let me know, but it would in my mind be preferable to see the fans kick-on and get started quite a bit earlier then that.

PK
    Yeah. I dislike that too. Thermostat opens up at 204? or something like that, and the fan doesn't come on 213. It's ridiculous, especially with the heat this motor puts out.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

apriliaforum prov-nov
    Yeah I really have no other complaints with the factory computer perimeters as they are set now, other then the delay in response time of the fan start-up sequence, but unfortunately no one seems to have a solution currently for this yet. Even speaking with Gabro recently it doesn't appear that has been brought up to him before or addressed as such yet. To my understanding this also doesn't get touched on in the RACE ecu set-up either, which is puzzling to me, as it would seem this would be the first point I'd look to sort out at any point I was to consider doing anything anywhere near as extreme as remapping the factory computer, never mind considering running a full bore RACE ecu . So I don't know but it would be nice to see the fans start at a more reasonable/realistic 180-185F* then the close to atmospheric boiling pressure of 212 as it appears to be from the factory now.

Page 13 of 13 FirstFirst ... 3111213