Page 1 of 13 12311 ... LastLast

Thread: ECU derestriction, what is it?

ECU derestriction, what is it?

Hi all,

I've done a search but can't find the info anywhere.

Exactly what does the ECU code for the RSV4-R Akro slip-on do - is it just a remap?

Is it unique to a specific engine/ECU or can the same code be used for different bikes?

Can it be done by the owner or is there special stuff that the shop has to do?

Can a code be supplied (bought?) without the slip-on eg if I buy a brand X slip-on?

Thanks

Max Lean Angle / Administrator Ed / AF1 Racing's Avatar
    think of it like a ECU unlock code....with the code the dealer can load the Akra map into your stock ECU.....it gets entered into their Aprilia Navigator diagnostic computer, and allows loading the Akra mapping

the code is unique to one single ECU serial number....good only on that ECU forever which allows loading of any future mapping updates aprilia comes out with.

they do not sell the code seperately, but they are now selling a complete unlocked ECU pre-loaded with the Akra map. If you buy this ECU, your dealer will still need to plug in and perform the throttle and handle learning procedure. The throttle and handle learning is required with any map change as it properly calibrates the ride-by-wire system.

the code is included with any aprilia akrapovic system.....if you buy another pipe, you'll have to buy the ECU

thanks guys... so if I get an Akro slip-on, it should come with a code and if not, I'm stuck without it?

Quote Originally Posted by wfo View Post
    thanks guys... so if I get an Akro slip-on, it should come with a code and if not, I'm stuck without it?
    the Aprilia / Akra pipes come with the unlock code.....the pipes direct from Akra do not, you will have to buy the unlocked race ECU as a seperate item

Right, thanks.

One more question: so to get an Akra pipe from Aprilia, you need to give them an ECU number and they'll provide you with a decode for that ECU?

apriliaforum Member
    ECU & VIN + code included with your Akra pipe. A resulting code is then supplied to your dealer to complete the unlock. At least thats how I remember it, but I could be wrong.

derestriction

What it means derestriction?
    In France and Belgium the bike is sold with 75 Kw(100 Hp) power.
    This means the ecu is restricted to this limit. The dealer can put 182 Hp via the navigator(axone) in to the bike by taking away the restriction in the ECUYou can see the restriction on the dash.
    Is it that what you mean?
    bartho

My first post in 3 years, LOL

So how have all of our forum members with non-Aprilia exhausts updated their mapping? Is everyone being forced to buy the race ECU?

I'm sorry but that just sucks. I cant believe Aprilia would blatantly block its customers from customizing their bikes.

edit: holy sh!t, I cant believe old avatar even shows up! hahahaha I'm putting down a deposit on a black RSVR tomorrow so I've been lurking around the forum again for a few weeks.

Quote Originally Posted by RSVracer View Post
    My first post in 3 years, LOL

So how have all of our forum members with non-Aprilia exhausts updated their mapping? Is everyone being forced to buy the race ECU?

I'm sorry but that just sucks. I cant believe Aprilia would blatantly block its customers from customizing their bikes.
    huh?? they are not blocking anyone....in fact, they are helping all the people who didnt buy the factory Aprilia/Akra exhaust by selling them a ECU pre-loaded with the mapping they need.

Quote Originally Posted by Ed / AF1 Racing View Post
    huh?? they are not blocking anyone....in fact, they are helping all the people who didnt buy the factory Aprilia/Akra exhaust by selling them a ECU pre-loaded with the mapping they need.
    I've never owned a bike where I was forced to purchase a $700 ECU just to make an aftermarket pipe run correctly. Even with my current Superduke I did not have this issue. KTM allows you to have the dealer upload their factory designed race map to their ECU free of charge. Just a small fee to the dealer for their time. I just think locking the standard ECU is a shady business tactic on Aprilia's part. Its like getting our $16-20k wasnt good enough. They had to milk an extra $700-2000 out of us if we want to dtich the stock exhaust.

I've never owned a bike where I was forced to purchase a $700 ECU just to make an aftermarket pipe run correctly. Even with my current Superduke I did not have this issue. KTM allows you to have the dealer upload their factory designed race map to their ECU free of charge. Just a small fee to the dealer for their time. I just think locking the standard ECU is a shady business tactic on Aprilia's part. Its like getting our $16-20k wasnt good enough. They had to milk an extra $700-2000 out of us if we want to dtich the stock exhaust.
    its $750 for the ECU not $2000....its a complete ECU in its metal case....that race ECU can be sold later to someone else and used, it has value to the next owner. probably fetch $500-650 on the used market.

buy one of the factory Aprilia/Akra systems and its included....

look how Ducati does it.....same way as aprilia just way more expensive.

Quote Originally Posted by Ed / AF1 Racing View Post
    its $750 for the ECU not $2000....its a complete ECU in its metal case....that race ECU can be sold later to someone else and used, it has value to the next owner. probably fetch $500-650 on the used market.

buy one of the factory Aprilia/Akra systems and its included....

look how Ducati does it.....same way as aprilia just way more expensive.
    When I said $700-2000 I was referring to the cost of purchasing an ECU or one of Aprilia's Akra branded exhausts. To me this seems similar to the Ducati method but a little shadier because the stock ECU has the ability to run a race map. There's no real need to purchase a race ECU. In fact, Aprilia went out of their way to make sure we had to spend the extra money with them. It would've been so much simpler to make the map openly available.

Oh well, I guess mine will stay stock until the PC5 is available. $1500 for a slip-on is just plain ridiculous and I'm not gonna waste $750 on an ECU when the power commander will give me more accurate mapping anyway.

just another Aprilia fanatic amauri's Avatar
    When the power commander will give me more accurate mapping anyway.
    Please bear with me while I try to explain why that reasoning is not quite right.

IMO, we need to apply the same approach to PC5 tuning on the RSV4 as we've all learned do with the PC3 on the RSV2.

When installing a PC3 on the V2 bike, you would first connect the AXONE and switch the ECU to variant-2 (AKA map-2) and fine tune further with a PC3/custom map if needed.

The key to successfully tuning the RSV2 with the PC3 was variant-2.
    Variant-2 set the ECU into open loop mode, switched the fuel and ignition maps to a performance optimized map (not emissions friendly).
    It really was pointless to install a PC3 on the RSV2 without first setting variant-2.

Now let's look at the RSV4, the same basic idea applies.
    If you install a PC5 on top of the STD emissions tuned ECU map, you will not benefit much because the PC5 can't change ignition, especially USA bikes that are tuned to meet USA requirements.

IMO, when the PC5 or Bazzaz units become available, you should only install them and custom map on top of the performance ECU or map.

Remember that neither the PC5 nor the Bazzaz are able to alter ignition timing.

As far as Aprilia ripping us off by making us pay extra for the map or ECU, I guess it depends on how you look at it.

Yes it was included with the 04-09 RSV2, but it wasn't free.
    You paid for it when you bought the bike.

In 2004, the RSV2 Factory retailed for $17,995.
    In 2010, the RSV4 Factory retails for $20,995.

That is a 17% price increase in 6 years.

Considering inflation and depreciation of the US dollar, that's not much of an increase over the six years. Especially for the performance boost.

Aprilia had to cut costs to introduce the bike to the marked at a competitive price.
    So now you don't pay for the map when you buy the bike, those who need it will have to pay extra for it.
    Last edited by amauri; 04-12-2010 at 09:08 AM. Reason: spelling
    Never accept mediocrity, always demand competence.

Certified Aprilia Moto Service in Southern California
    Call me at 714 892-4056 for appointment

Quote Originally Posted by amauri View Post

If you install a PC5 on top of the STD emissions tuned ECU map, you will not benefit much because the PC5 can't change ignition, especially USA bikes that are tuned to meet USA requirements.

Remember that neither the PC5 nor the Bazzaz are able to alter ignition timing.

Yes it was included with the 04-09 RSV2, but it wasn't free.
    You paid for it when you bought the bike.
    Amauri,

A very well stated response, I must say. I have a few questions though regarding the statements above.

Has anyone confirmed the exact differences between the standard mapping and Aprilia's 'race' maps? Can we confirm that the race ECU or uploaded "variant-2" actually alters ignition timing?

If I'm not mistaken Dynojet offers an add-on module for the PC3 that will alter ignition timing.
    http://www.powercommander.com/powerc...on_module.aspx
    It would only make sense to assume that they will have a similar module for the PC5. If this module does exist for the PC5, would that not make the race ECU obsolete/unnecessary? I actually miss the days when the PC2 on my RC51 would alter fuel and ignition timing.

How much did Aprilia charge for the map upgrade on the RSV2 bikes? I seem to remember some of the aftermarket exhaust companies issuing EPROM's with their pipes that could be plugged into the bike's ECU and give a good baseline mapping.

just another Aprilia fanatic amauri's Avatar
    Attached are graphs of the ignition curve parameters recorded with a data analyzer probe we attached to my 07 RSVR Siemens ECU.

Dyno Jet has listed a ignition module for the RSVR on their website for years, but they have never been able to produce it.

99-03 RSV and SL bikes had swappable EPROMS that Aprilia supplied with the exhaust system kit.
    04-09 had two maps already in the ECU, the dealer would typically switch maps for you as part of the exhaust install labor.
    Attached Images Attached Images   
    Last edited by amauri; 04-11-2010 at 11:39 AM. Reason: spelling
    Never accept mediocrity, always demand competence.

Certified Aprilia Moto Service in Southern California
    Call me at 714 892-4056 for appointment

Page 1 of 13 12311 ... LastLast