Thread: Front end washing out on roundabouts.

apriliaforum newb

Front end washing out on roundabouts.

I've had my '07 Tuono for a year now and done around 4,000 miles - been busy with work and what have you. The bike had Dunlop Sportmax Race Replicas on when I got it and they're still in pretty good nick.

I wouldn't describe my riding as 'Rossi' but it's not tentative either and yesterday I had a couple of moments which has knocked my confidence. First incident was on a roundabout going from 6 'o' clock to 12 'o'clock but I took an exaggerated line through it becuse of a pothole on the centre line and so was leant over a fair way doing 40-ish. When I was cranked over, it felt like the front tyre had lost grip and was heading to the left. Whether it gripped of its own accord or because of something I did, I don't know but it caught hold, the bike came upright and I carried on. Th exact same thing happened 10 minutes later on a similar roundabout with a similar line.

I'd checked tyre pressures before I set out and all was well so I thought I might have got a puncture. I hopped off to have a look and there was nothing untoward. When I got home 20 minutes later I so, I had a closer look at the front tyre and both edges were really 'slippy' like the release agent from when they came out of the mould was still on there. Is that usual after 4,000 or so miles? I'd have credited myself with more lean in the turns to scrub them in nicely (rear tyres are completely scrubbed in to the edge) but maybe not.

Any ideas would be much appreciated. I don't want to lose faith in a bike that I love.

Cheers
    Kav

Hey Kay,
    I had a similar problem but with the rear tire washing out.
    Actually my buddy dumped my bike as he took off on it to try it out for a ride.
    He had just launched at really slow speed, was giving it some gas not hard, released the clutch and then next thing you know the rear tire spun out from under him and he went down like a ton of bricks.
    Needless to say I was in shock!
    My buddy thought there must have been some Armour All sprayed on them by the shop
    when it was sitting in the showroom, as he said it felt like riding on ice!
    I had just bought the bike in Dec.2009 and trailered it home, then took it out 2 weeks ago for it's first ride, early March 2010.
    I asked the bike shop owner if someone on his staff had sprayed something on the tires, but he said they would never do that.
    When I explained to him how my buddy went down, he explained to me that new tires come with some kind of coating on them from the factory and because they are soft compound tires and they were cold and the pavement was cold that day, was most likely the reason they were slippery.
    So moral of the story, make sure your tires are warmed up before pushing it and leaned over on cold pavement!
    Not sure if this was your case, but I know I am gonna take it easy when my tires,
    Are cold!
    Cheers,
    Den
    Denis
    East Coast Rep - AROC (Aprilia Riders of Canada)
    2007 Aprilia Tuono 1000R - K&N filter, Pazzo levers,
    Driven bar ends, Black Anodized RSV Mille exhaust,
    Carbon fibre hangers, Aprilia OEM Crash Sliders,
    Italia Racing tank pad.

apriliaforum Member
    I had a few moments like that, usually when going from closed to open throttle. It has such a snappy throttle response that the front end can go light and feel like a slide when lent over.

apriliaforum Member Velociraptor's Avatar
    I used to get a similar feeling on roundabouts and slow speed tight bends, as though the front end was washing out, but since I have set up the suspension it is ok. I don't know what settings you have but if you haven't altered anything from stock that could be the cause. The first thing to do is set up the static and rider sag for your weight, mine was too soft at the rear and way too hard at the front. I have also lowered the front on the forks by three rings, going one at a time til you get the feel you want. Hope this helps.

apriliaforum newb
    Thanks guys - got some stuff to be going on with here. More ideas very welcome.

Cheers
    Kav

apriliaforum Junkie
    Too much rebound damping can cause this as well, especially under acceleration whilst leaned over. Try backing off about 4 clicks and then, if it feels like it wants to run wide instead of tuck, put 2 clicks back in.

Roundabouts can be tricky as well since most of them are cambered towards the outside of the turn (reverse camber) and though the bike and rider think they are at an acceptable lean angle reference the horizon, the tire sees much more lean than normal.
    Swim upstream in life, only dead fish go with the flow.

Ed

On the Englandshire side of the Welsh Border
    Diesel?

Quote Originally Posted by Velociraptor View Post
    I used to get a similar feeling on roundabouts and slow speed tight bends, as though the front end was washing out, but since I have set up the suspension it is ok. I don't know what settings you have but if you haven't altered anything from stock that could be the cause. The first thing to do is set up the static and rider sag for your weight, mine was too soft at the rear and way too hard at the front. I have also lowered the front on the forks by three rings, going one at a time til you get the feel you want. Hope this helps.
    I'm inclined to agree.

In my limited experience real front end wash outs very rarely end well.
    I've not been able to recover the ones I've encountered.
    More like: Shii...and presto! You're on your butt.
    Black -08 Streetduty
    Black -07.5 RSV converted track biatch

apriliaforum Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Tifa View Post
    Diesel?
    +1 to that. straight line roundabouts, less lean the better. If your suspension is fine for corners, i doubt it's set badly for roundabouts. Dont read more into it than that.

apriliaforum Member Velociraptor's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Tifa View Post
    Diesel?
    If, like Kav, you are doing 40mph with a fair angle of lean on a roundabout and you hit diesel, there are only two things certain -1. You're going down, fast. 2. You're going to have a broken bike.

apriliaforum newb
    Interesting stuff...

It doesn't feel like badly set up suspension - the step out was too sudden for that and the bike feels sorted everywhere else. It's not brilliant on bumpy roads but I gather that's a Tuono thing.

The diesel theory kind of makes sense. If it was a thin strip of the wretched stuff then to Velociraptor's point, it may have slipped momentarily and then gripped. That being the case though, wouldn't I have felt something move at the back end as well?

Anyone buying my unscrubbed tyre theory?

Thanks again guys
    Kav

apriliaforum newb
    Thanks guys - interesting input.

Suspension-wise, the bike feels fairly sorted. The damping's not great on bumpy roads but it always feels planted. The step-out didn't feel like a suspension issue as it was too sudden.

The diesel theory makes sense. If it was a thin strip of the wretched stuff then the front tyre may have slipped across that then gripped again but wouldn't I have felt something go at the back end as well?

Is no one buying my unscrubbed tyre idea?

Cheers
    Kav

Its the cold weather mate. The bikes tyres aren't getting any heat in them and the road temp in cold too. This is a common complaint each yr on many bike sites.
    I was out the other day and was twitching about a fair bit

I'm inclined to agree. Cold roads + cold tires spells a very loose rubber-road interface. Add a little salt and dirt and shit that collects on the road in winter time (like you folk in the norther climes have) and you will have one slippery situation. Here in the subtropics, we have mud and puddles and mosquito larva guts. But the worst are live oak leaves. They drop in the early spring (like now) and you cannot even walk on the fuckers. Like ice.
    Bikes:
    2007.5 Tuono-Black, with 1102cc's of micah's badness!
    2012 Griso-Silver and black, Agostini pipe, some carbon bits.
    2006 Vespa GT200-bitubo suspension all around, Malossi big-bore, head and cam, Akrapovic pipe, all put together by Micah.

gone 2002 Caponord-Oyster gray (as faithful as a hound dog)
    gone Futura-Red (on the AF1 showroom floor. Get some.)

The more I learn about people, the more I appreciate rocks.

apriliaforum newb
    Thanks all

Tyres makes sense. Maybe it's just too damed cold for Sportmax RRs at the moment?

Cheers
    Kav