Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Fuel Filter replacement, step by step

Fuel Filter replacement, step by step

So since I am replacing my tank with an 03 Tuono one, i thought I'd replace the fuel filter as well. I asked Chris if the fuel filter had ever been replaced, and he said no. Soooo, thought I'd replace. Didn't want to spend $50 on the Aprilia one, so off to Napa to pick up their Napa Gold fuel filter, model #3012, a stainless steel hose clamp for the ground, and some new spring clamps...

first remove this clamp....

then remove the filter ground...01-02s dont have this...

Then remove the lower clamp...

if you can remove these clamps without damage, I'll be impressed. I didnt reuse them....

here are the filters side by side....

as you can see, the napa filter is a wee bit smaller, but thats okay, as its soooo much cheaper you can replace it more frequently....

Next is a shot of the filter removed...

as stated, i removed the old clamps and replaced them...

first I used a new spring clamp for the bottom...pay attention to the direction of fuel flow marked on the filter...arrow points down toward the tank base plate...

then take the size 24 stainless steel hose clamp and place it over the filter....insert the ground wire between the clamp and filter housing, then tighten the clamp down nice and snug....
    thanks to kzmille for this idea....

Now, use a new clamp and slide the top hose onto the filter...its a tight fit, but she slides on there!

check the tightness of all the wire connection while you're in here...a couple of mine were a little bit loose...

here's the tank cleaned up before going to the painter...

then you're done with this part...i'll add to this when i get the tank back from the painters, and I'll do a step by step of mounting the fuel pump back into the tank

hope this helps some people....
    Brad B.

2006 ZX14 ***SOLD****
    2000 RSV Mille,***SOLD***

Sorry, but I would never use a spring clamp for that application.
    2001 RST Futura in stream Silver.
    Mods: Modified Öhlins fork from mille R, EBC brake discs, HEL front brakelines, Carbon RS 250 front fender, Wiring mod for charging. Engine related:05 map, Iridium plugs, tuneboy, derestriced intake, old mille airboot, staintunes exhaust. Lambda bung hardbrazed in the "breadbox". Öhlins mille R rear shock with 110N/mm spring and the integrated hydraulic preload adjuster. LED Voltmeter installed inside the dash for monitoring charging. Duc 999 radial m/c for brake and clutch. EBC 320mm brake discs
    NWS hugger. Equipment: Famsa tankbag,
    CBR 600 -07 MOSFET R&R FH008EE providing stable 14.4 - 14.5 V (with my wiring mod). Daytona heated grips with mccoi pwm controller and automatic chain oiler

Wow, what a detailed post

Awesome.

apriliaforum expert ghostrider71's Avatar

Exclamation

PDX -

Agreed with deefred -- you shouldn't use "spring" clamps or even worm drive clamps on the HP lines inside the fuel tank.

Check-out this post:

http://www.apriliaforum.com/forums/s...highlight=fuel

Read the whole thing -- it'll explain EXACTLY why NOT to do what you're doing.

I'm in the process of replacing mine too -- and I've managed to amass all the necessary parts to do it properly the FIRSt TIME....except i'm not replacing my hoses. --judgement call--

PM me if you have ??'s -- be glad to share what other members have shared with me!

gr
    Since it was highly recommended, I put THEGEEK on ignore and the forum IS a much nicer place!!

Quote Originally Posted by deefred View Post
    Sorry, but I would never use a spring clamp for that application.
    I have been using spring clamps in my current tank for over a year now with no problems....

How about this?

"Please feel free to use whatever clamps you feel like using. Everyone has an opinion on clamps, and everyone will tell you that the clamps THEY use are the best. Soooo, use whatever clamps you wish to use."

There, is that better?
    Brad B.

2006 ZX14 ***SOLD****

Hey, sorry dude.

Just didn't want you to suffer the "exploding" fuel line syndrome as some others have.

I personally didn't want to chance it -- but that's just me.

gr
    Since it was highly recommended, I put THEGEEK on ignore and the forum IS a much nicer place!!

One the the better write-ups on this.... might be worthy of making it a sticky and moving over to the 1000cc FAQ section...

I'll probably move over the Sprag clutch change thread to the 1000cc FAQ section as well...

I'm not upset at all!

I am saying that there are literally several different clamps that can be used without any negative effects...I read the thread posted above...and I am not gonna buy $60-$80 worth of clamps and a special tool when I have found that the way I do it works just fine....

Hence, I was saying, please feel free to use whatever clamps you like!

No worries!
    Brad B.

2006 ZX14 ***SOLD****

I got a little bugged-out when i saw Wavz's post of the drive-clamps tearing-into the hose....

I was able to bum a few Oetiker clamps off of another member, and still need to buy some pliers -- but for me, I needed the piece of mind.

I really don't want to have to find-out the hard way, that this assembly has come unseated in the pump/tank. Hence....

He suggested I replace my hoses too -- but mine look absolutely fine.

i DID buy some Permatex Anaerobic gasket sealant (loctite 518) to seal the o-ring...but that was enuff for me.

Good pics - good post.

gr

When I first redid the fuel lines in my current tank, one hose did slip off while I was riding the bike. I took the pump out and looked at the hose. Turns out the hose, after being submerged in gasoline for awhile, DOES soften up, hence what was a perfectly tight connection when installed, becomes looser after the hose softens up...reinstalled the hose, tighten the clamp a little tighter, and i haven't had any problems since then! and remember, I was using the Gates $28 a foot submersible hose and it softened up after a while in the tank...

i love learning all the little tricks about this bike..its fun!
    Brad B.

2006 ZX14 ***SOLD****

Quote Originally Posted by pdxmille View Post
    When I first redid the fuel lines in my current tank, one hose did slip off while I was riding the bike. I took the pump out and looked at the hose. Turns out the hose, after being submerged in gasoline for awhile, DOES soften up, hence what was a perfectly tight connection when installed, becomes looser after the hose softens up...reinstalled the hose, tighten the clamp a little tighter, and i haven't had any problems since then! and remember, I was using the Gates $28 a foot submersible hose and it softened up after a while in the tank...

i love learning all the little tricks about this bike..its fun!
    So - it was a NEW Fuel line that softened-up?!

Quote Originally Posted by ghostrider71 View Post
    So - it was a NEW Fuel line that softened-up?!
    correct! NEW $28 a foot Gate submersible fuel hose....it softened up a LITTLE bit, not like it got all spongy or anything....just enough so that my perfectly tight fuel clamp on the hose now wasn't tight enough....retightened all the connections when I was reinstalling the fuel line that popped off, and no problems since....
    Brad B.

2006 ZX14 ***SOLD****

Brad, I still need to redo my clamps in my tank.. and I got all the stuff for the decals also..

Quote Originally Posted by gweedo View Post
    Brad, I still need to redo my clamps in my tank.. and I got all the stuff for the decals also..
    no problem....Ill come over this week and we can get her done!
    Brad B.

2006 ZX14 ***SOLD****

Added
    2007 Tuono 1000R Factory
    Cored OE Racing CansMap2Pazzo Shorty Knock-offs15-40AF1 Link PlatesAprilia Sliders
    Laminar WindscreenLowered PegsLED City and Tag Lights
    ProTaper Universal LowClear Signal Lenses
    2017 High-Ball in Suede Nuclear Sunset Orange
    2017 Z125 PRO

2001 Futura in Silver - Sold, after 8.5 years of service.

Retired - DJ, Turntablist, MC, Creator, Video Editor and Mixologist.
    Cored OE Cans vs Leo Vince Titanium Vid
    Slammin' Tunes!

HF152, 10-26954
    HF564 .024-.028

Chrome extension to see photobucket blocked pics.

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast