Page 11 of 11 FirstFirst ... 91011

Thread: POSTING: Starter Relay Mod: Futura w/ Ford Relay

Nice! Those teflon-tipped little solder poppers are quite handy. I just wrangled the original one apart, Deefred, and quickly realized I should have desoldered, as there was plenty of "meat" in those contacts left.

Wonder why they are so "derated" to 50 Amperes, as that's a pretty ridiculous number, considering I have Bosch relays rated at 50A with no more than a 1mm contact circle.

Bob

apriliaforum Junkie
    If you are going to put this much effort into the solenoid then also put effort into replacing the battery/starter cables by upgrading to 4 gauge cable.

Here is link http://www.triumphrat.net/speed-trip...power-mod.html

Yes its Triumph related but I have done this mod to Triumph, BMW, Ducati and April. To me well worth the $$ and time.

No sense making the spigot bigger/better (solenoid) and not the hose (cable.)

Cheers

Philip

A lazier, cheaper option (always appealing to me) is running an extra 10awg wire to everything starting from batt, including an extra ground. Works pretty well. I've also got the F150 solenoid. Make sure you clean all connections and grounds.
    01 Blue #84, 11/12 with: HeliBars, foam grips, 05 map, Borla cans (Replaced by 2" pipe)/stock silencer, derestricted, metal QD, dash socket, wiring mod. Me: Ford relay +10awg & grd, fuel pump rewire, FPR, vac hoses. Evap gone, CBR coils/harness+ Magnecor, clutch switch bypass. S.S. clutch & front line, RaceTech Gold fork, Cogent rebuilt Sachs, tapered head bearings. Added LED run lights/indicators/brake. All signals also run lights. All lights but Hi/park/brake on dash switch. Hi beam mod, vest plug, wiring block, blue dash SMD's/Red V meter, Tune IFT, PCIII gone. Stripped/polished rims, vented screen, rear petal disc. FH008 soldered DC plug/added grd/hard soldered AC. L/R dash indicator lights, RG frame/fork sliders, vented screen.

Quote Originally Posted by Argh Oh View Post
    A lazier, cheaper option (always appealing to me) is running an extra 10awg wire to everything starting from batt, including an extra ground. Works pretty well. I've also got the F150 solenoid. Make sure you clean all connections and grounds.
    Done pretty much the same now with larger cables from the battery through to the starter. Also added larger earth to chassis & engine.

I did notice that the throttle bodies are not earthed?? - any reason??

I'm sure I remember being told or I read somewhere that adding a decent earth to somewhere near the injectors (this was on a car!) would give an improvement in running. Not sure if that was meant to be on economy or power?.

Anything in this??
    Andy

Current: 2002 Futura RST in Silver
    Datatagged, 05 Map, Metal QD, H Pipe, Bef Cans, RSV De-restrictive Snorkel, RSV Forks & Brakes upgrade, NGK DCPR8EIX Iridiums, Earthed Throttlebodies, FPR Mod, Vee Max Starter Solenoid with uprated cables, FH008EE RR & Wiring Mods, NWS Hugger, Oxford OF691 Touring Hotgrips, Accessory & USB Sockets, HID Headlight, Pirelli Angel GT's

Up in Flames: 2001 Futura RST in Blue
    Datatagged, 05 Map, Skidmarx DB Screen & Hugger, K&N Filter, Brown Connectors soldered, R&G Hotgrips,
    Acumen DGV, Scottoiler, Accessory Socket. BikeVis Bullets

Quote Originally Posted by Corsehf View Post
    Done pretty much the same now with larger cables from the battery through to the starter. Also added larger earth to chassis & engine.

I'm sure I remember being told or I read somewhere that adding a decent earth to somewhere near the injectors (this was on a car!) would give an improvement in running. Not sure if that was meant to be on economy or power?.

Anything in this??
    Do the injectors just have 1 wire? Everything is controlled on the ground side of the ecu, so I'd guess there are 2 wires to each injector. If that's the case, then why both ground the TBs?

Correct, two wires to the injector.
    The injector is encapsulated in plastic, so grounding the TB does nothing.
    2001 RST Futura in stream Silver.
    Mods: Modified Öhlins fork from mille R, EBC brake discs, HEL front brakelines, Carbon RS 250 front fender, Wiring mod for charging. Engine related:05 map, Iridium plugs, tuneboy, derestriced intake, old mille airboot, staintunes exhaust. Lambda bung hardbrazed in the "breadbox". Öhlins mille R rear shock with 110N/mm spring and the integrated hydraulic preload adjuster. LED Voltmeter installed inside the dash for monitoring charging. Duc 999 radial m/c for brake and clutch. EBC 320mm brake discs
    NWS hugger. Equipment: Famsa tankbag,
    CBR 600 -07 MOSFET R&R FH008EE providing stable 14.4 - 14.5 V (with my wiring mod). Daytona heated grips with mccoi pwm controller and automatic chain oiler

apriliaforum newb
    Quote Originally Posted by Corsehf View Post

Anything in this??
    There might be something to it. I've done this on a Buell... the earth for the engine to the battery went through some painted subframe bolt points so it was always pretty poor. Ran a starter cable from the top engine mount right to the battery and got better starting, smoother running.

Page 11 of 11 FirstFirst ... 91011